Wish Allow 6 instances of Vol/Pan, Drive, IR Player, Synth, Pitch and other blocks, for Hex-processing

The H9000 doesn't have these types of limitations.... Put as many or as few of one block/algorithm as you like until you max out...
The H9000 costs $7000. You could buy three Axe FX IIIs and have a grand left over. And if it's like the H8000, it takes an eternity (in live use terms) to load a new preset because they have to be compiled from scratch when loaded.

I too once pined for the flexibility of the H8000 in the Axe, but the load speed is far more of a priority for me. The H8000 was pretty much useless live.

Last edited:
The H9000 costs $7000. You could buy three Axe FX IIIs and have a grand left over. And if it's like the H8000, it takes an eternity (in live use terms) to load a new preset because they have to be compiled from scratch when loaded.

I too once pined for the flexibility of the H8000 in the Axe, but the load speed is far more of a priority for me. The H8000 was pretty much useless live.
I have a couple AxeFX III units. That is not a good solution. The request is to allow more open-ended use cases for, in my case, studio mixing. I don't care about preset switching speed - I don't switch presets while mixing.

One reservation on the Fractal side is probably related to CC values for all these new blocks.

I'd say it would be ok to not have them controllable, but that creates a consistency problem for sure. Still, I'd rather have the flexibility of more blocks.

Cliff has posted the reasons for having a fixed number of specific blocks and what happens when each is instantiated, including DSP and memory concerns. I doubt many users here would want the Eventide paradigm. For most guitarists, loading speed is king.

Reactions: Rex
The Axe-FX 6 is here! I've finished my 6-string splitter. It still doesn't have a case, but I could not wait to make a provisional arrangement to test it.

Axe-FX 6.jpg

I have recorded some random and sloppy notes. This is the very first thing that has come to my fingers, as soon as I have started testing the preset

I made this quick preset with Bass at strings 5&6 and Synth at the 1st string only:

Strings 5 & 6 (In 4) -> Virtual Capo Pitch (-12) -> FAS Bass Amp -> Bass Cab
String 1 (In 2) -> 3 voices synth (+7, +12, +24) -> Plex Delay
Regular Pickups (In1) -> 6G4 Amp -> My clone of the Eventide H9 Crystals -> Delay and Reverb

2020-09-23 17_39_12-Axe-Edit III.png

It is addictive to play with this! I am impatient for the weekend to arrive, to experiment with more calm.

If I had money, I would send GK3 pickups and 6-string splitters to Cliff and to all the FAS team, so they would also get addicted and they could not avoid expanding the hex processing possibilities of the Axe-FX III :)

Cliff has posted the reasons for having a fixed number of specific blocks and what happens when each is instantiated, including DSP and memory concerns. I doubt many users here would want the Eventide paradigm. For most guitarists, loading speed is king.
Killjoy, this won't harm you if you don't load all the blocks

Attachments

• HexAxe Bass+Gtr+Crystal 2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Killjoy, this won't harm you if you don't load all the blocks
I'm just repeating information from the man himself regarding the reason for limited instances. I have GK pickups on all of my guitars and, like you, have built homemade devices to improve their functionality. No one is a bigger proponent of hex processing than I am. But Eventide products compile the code upon preset load. Their presets are nothing more than text files before they are loaded. This makes the presets extremely flexible, and extremely slow to load. I'm guessing that Cliff could add instances of certain blocks, but I just don't see Fractal going the Eventide route.

That is a problem of the Eventide Architecture. It is completely different. Why should Fractal go the Eventide route just to increase the instances of certain blocks? This request is not for changing the routing architecture.

Maybe 6 instances of the AMP block would be an issue (although Cliff said a while ago that he was considering implementing 3). But I do not think that increasing the Vol/Pan block instances from 4 to 6 would slow down the unit at all.

Only allowing six Vol/Pan blocks would already be a great step forward, because it would allow effects like the Poly Slow Gear. The Poly Slow Gear was available at the VG99 and older products, but it is one of the many cool features that Boss/Roland has cut at the new SY-1000

Last edited:
Only allowing six Vol/Pan blocks would already be a great step forward, because it would allow effects like the Poly Slow Gear. The Poly Slow Gear was available at the VG99 and older products, but it is one of the many cool features that Boss/Roland has cut at the new SY-1000

I thought that I would be able to create a Poly Slow Gear using four Vol/Pan blocks and two Filters (All blocks have the possibility to assign a modifier to Level), but I have found another inconvenient: there is only one Envelope modifier, and it can only be assigned to either Input 1 or Input 2 😥

This would require six independent envelope modifiers with the option to select any input L/R channels independently as Input Sources.

2020-09-24 15_09_53-Axe-Edit III.png

Another wish at the queue 😇

Anyway, not all hope is lost. CodeSmart (Primova Sound) is creating a small hex-preamp with Poly Slow Gear, Poly Freeze, Modulation, Arpeggiator... 🤓

Last edited:
I thought that I would be able to create a Poly Slow Gear using four Vol/Pan blocks and two Filters (All blocks have the possibility to assign a modifier to Level), but I have found another inconvenient: there is only one Envelope modifier, and it can only be assigned to either Input 1 or Input 2 😥

This would require six independent envelope modifiers with the option to select any input L/R channels independently as Input Sources.

View attachment 73128

Another wish at the queue 😇

Anyway, not all hope is lost. CodeSmart (Primova Sound) is creating a small hex-preamp with Poly Slow Gear, Poly Freeze, Modulation, Arpeggiator... 🤓
Have you tried gates? You have four of them, and they have lots of options for sidechain source. Just add a filter block, cut off one string — Keith Richards style — and you're good to go. :)

Have you tried gates? You have four of them, and they have lots of options for sidechain source. Just add a filter block, cut off one string — Keith Richards style — and you're good to go. :)

Of course! The Forgotten Gates of Oblivion! I've never used these blocks before. I see that they have Attack/Hold/Release Time, and they use the block input as source. Just what I need, because I have one string per row. Thank you!

Last edited:
Cooking never ready, but I've taken another approach: Instead of processing the raw signals from the hex pickup directly at the Axe-FX, I've pre-processed them at the AX-1000 and VG-99.

2020-10-10 13_13_21-Axe-Edit III.png
Input 1: Normal pickups guitar
Input 2: VG-99 Poly-Slow Gear Brass on Strings 1,2,3&4
Input 3: SY-1000 (Sub-Output) Vio guitar on Strings 1&4 panned L/R respectively - Guild D40 on strings 1 to 6
Input 4: SY-1000 (Main-Output) Bass on strings 5&6

The panned strings sound good with headphones. It is very fun to play this

SY-1000 VG-99 Axe-FX III.jpg

Last edited:
I had dreamed this kinda thing up as a shower thought some time ago and I just wanna say that I'm cheering you on from the sidelines Piing. There is a future out there where the guitar as an instrument evolves beyond reproducing ~50 year old tones and styles. This is one glimpse of that future.

(and yes, I still do love lots of music that was made before I was born)

Back
Top Bottom