Allman Brothers kinda tone starting point?

Cem

Experienced
First time I'm asking something like that, but they are very unique to my ears.

"End of the line" song is good a example what I'm looking for, rhytm drives and lead tones.

What do you guys recommend?

I think that in that era of ABB, the guitars were going through Soldano SLO100 amps. Not sure what cabs they were using. Dickie Betts used to use Marshall cabs with JBL D120 speakers.

I think that in that era of ABB, the guitars were going through Soldano SLO100 amps. Not sure what cabs they were using. Dickie Betts used to use Marshall cabs with JBL D120 speakers.

Wow! really?! I was expecting some 50 watt marshalls!!! :eek:

For Allman Brothers sound I use the Thick & Chunky preset and turn the volume down to 4 on my guitar. I use the neck humbucker on my PRS Swamp Ash Special. You can also turn the input on the preset down to get the same effect but to me using the factory preset and turning the guitar down sounds a tiny bit better.

For Allman Brothers sound I use the Thick & Chunky preset and turn the volume down to 4 on my guitar. I use the neck humbucker on my PRS Swamp Ash Special. You can also turn the input on the preset down to get the same effect but to me using the factory preset and turning the guitar down sounds a tiny bit better.

Wow. I have the same guitar! What a coincidence! I will check that out!

Remember that the End of the Line era is also Warren Haynes, who loves his SLOs...

I'm new to the Allman Bros. Don't really know who is going on on which eras :) It's very weird that I didn't come up with them earlier. Shame.

I've started from their best of album lately.

Recommend me some albums if you can :)

I'm new to the Allman Bros. Don't really know who is going on on which eras :) It's very weird that I didn't come up with them earlier. Shame.

Buy the Allman Bros. DVD "Live at The Beacon Theater" you can see the gear and hear some great guitar playing (Instrumental Illness has some fantastic improvising) wit Waren Haynes and Derek Trucks - a good example of staring a solo and build it up to the top and afterwards start again from the bottom - very good dynamics.....:eagerness:

Ya gotta listen to the "Live at Filmore East" album if you want to know more about them. This is an epic live performance!

Reactions: Cem

Oh my, you are missing some special stuff. Fllmore East and Eat A Peach are where you should start. From what I understand Duane used a Marshall Model 1986 50W bass amp (jumped).

So for the live at Filmore east sound (recorded in 1971) Duane used 50 watt Marshall's, most likely w/celestions or crewing vega speakers in Marshall 4x12 cabs.

For old school Allmans, Live at the Fillmore East is a must-listen. Eat A Peach is probably the next must-have. The Live at Beacon DVD is great for the current version of ABB w/ Warren and Derek... it's too bad they're calling it quits this year.

This is an old thread, but I’ll try to provide some info:

Two Marshall 50w bass plexi, model 1986
Both jumped and running parallel to each other with a y-cables (photo evidence)

Rumored to have used some Cerwin Vega ER123 speakers. Dickie rumored to use JBL D120. (CV’s word of mouth. Photos of JBL’s.)

Marshall speaker cabs were open-back (photo evidence).

No way to know if the fuzzface was used at Fillmore East (word of mouth)

When discussing the sound, please take into account Tom Dowd in the entire recording, mix, and production process. He’s brilliant.

Oh, the bomb scare might have infused some adrenaline, as well.

Just a comment on recommended albums, I got really hooked by hearing An Evening With The Allman Brothers.

This is a great live album from the "second generation" band with Warren Haynes and Betts on guitar and Allen Woody on bass.

Maybe this will help.

While this video is about custom harmonies from the sign Jessica, it does describe step-by-step how to build a a "Fillmore East" Allamsn brothers Les Paul sound. You can hear that great neck pickup tone in the video to know it's spot on.

Of course, PLAYING like Duane or Dickie, that's a separate issue!

Maybe this will help.

While this video is about custom harmonies from the sign Jessica, it does describe step-by-step how to build a a "Fillmore East" Allamsn brothers Les Paul sound. You can hear that great neck pickup tone in the video to know it's spot on.

Of course, PLAYING like Duane or Dickie, that's a separate issue!

Wow, this is a great video! Did you ever make a preset like this for the AFX3?

These guys were always on the road. There's some good information out there, and some of it is surprising. A Marshall 1986, with a bassman OT... A Twin for reinforcement and/or stage-volume, etc.

I forgot to add, remember Jessica is Dickey Betts, on Brothers and Sisters, which was out over year after Duane's accident. If I recall, there's a tribute on the album cover, about Barry Oakley's passing.

These guys were always on the road. There's some good information out there, and some of it is surprising. A Marshall 1986, with a bassman OT... A Twin for reinforcement and/or stage-volume, etc.

I forgot to add, remember Jessica is Dickey Betts, on Brothers and Sisters, which was out over year after Duane's accident. If I recall, there's a tribute on the album cover, about Barry Oakley's passing.
I love the fact that a 50w Marshall stack wasn’t enough stage volume back then.

Do you have a link to a good source? I know they went through a ton of different amps over the years. Proof that tone is in the fingers. I would like to get something reasonably close.

Edit: I just saw your previous post. A better question would be, do you have any go to cab IRs for this type of sound?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom