Allan Holdsworth. RIP. One of a Kind.

yeah, it's like he's left us a gift and we can all appreciate it's beauty, but we'll never crack the code of how it was made. all that experience and knowledge that was in his brain....all those musical discoveries....it's all gone with him. it's quite poetic really.

Dang.. I must be living under a rock.. completely missed this.. until today!
He will be greatly missed.. awesome talent.
I was watching a re-run of one of the "Crossroads Festival" shows last night and was thinking of all the great (but old) players on that stage - from Clapton to Vince Gill, Bramhall, Jeff Beck, Buddy Guy - who have contributed SO MUCH talent over the years, and will be sorely missed at some point.

RIP Allan !

yeah, it's like he's left us a gift and we can all appreciate it's beauty, but we'll never crack the code of how it was made. all that experience and knowledge that was in his brain....all those musical discoveries....it's all gone with him. it's quite poetic really.

There was talk during the pledge campaign that he might write a book. Rick Beato said the other day that he was going to interview Allan, so I was looking forward to a genuinely insightful interview there. His channel is superb.

Yes its sad that we will never know exactly what he was doing , but then again Allan once made a comment along the line of anything really worth knowing cannot be taught, so there is something to be said for pursing a personal journey of enlightenment.

Absolutely! Once I asked about a particular scale he used in a tune and I wasn't able to categorize. Well, he answered: "it's just a major scale (....) with some other notes here and there". And even if this is not the best technical answers, it opened my mind to stop thinking about what I was playing and first of all listening to what I have in my mind.

One of the greatest ever.

Capture.JPG

He also had a song called "Zarabeth" on Wardenclyff Tower. She was a character in the TOS espisode "All Our Yesterdays", which is a song from Atavachron. She's the girl trapped in the prison that gets Spock to fall in love with her.

I didn't know of those other two references to Star Trek in Allan's catalog (very cool), and do indeed remember that TOS episode and character. Mr. Atoz is nodding in approval...:cool:

I was a kid when I first heard Allan on the Tony Williams Lifetime album 'Million Dollar Legs' and was floored by what I heard. I quickly discovered he also played on William's previous album 'Believe It', and was instantly convinced this was the direction I needed to go.

√ Donated to his daughter's gofundme page today.

Here's the link if you missed it earlier: gofundme.com/allanholdsworthmemorial

Allan Holdsworth is the "Guitar Hero's" Hero.

Last edited:
that's amazing isn't it. hopefully they'll be able to give him a nice send off (i'm sure there are tons of people who would like to go to the memorial) and maybe have enough left over to clear some of their debts

that's amazing isn't it. hopefully they'll be able to give him a nice send off (i'm sure there are tons of people who would like to go to the memorial) and maybe have enough left over to clear some of their debts
Yes.. Sad that it takes his death to bring out the praise and recognition.

I remember reading an interview with Allan many years ago where he was talking about his job doing software sales or something because he could not support himself with his music.

That's when I really realized that true talent and genius doesn't really count for much in the music industry. He should have been able to at least support himself and his family! You see these auto-tuned, cut and paste studio creations with good hair, straight teeth and a lovely ass make millions off of the masses while someone with talent and ability that we wilI never see/hear again in our lifetime is struggling to feed his kids.

there will be an open memorial service (no details yet), but the holdsworth family have absolutely no money, so a gofundme has been set up for them to cover the funeral expenses. if you'd like to donate, go here -

Thanks for the link. I donated. They are already over $74,000 for their $20,000 goal. I think Allan would be happy his family won't be left with that burden. I've tried to share the link on Facebook, but the share feature doesn't work for me.

This isn't one of those celebrity deaths that makes me say "Oh, bummer." I never realized a stranger's death could be so....I can't even find a word for it.

Nooooo!! :( :( :(

He was one of those talents that would make me want to quit guitar whenever I saw him play. Now, the news of his passing sort of makes me want to quit guitar. :(

One of my guitars has his latest signature pickup. I think I will be spending more time with it.

it's so sad :-(( just to say : i have listened so much of his music , a few years ago there was some internet holdsworth tribute , with bass/drum backing track ,you had to put harmony/lead , i tried the challenge (man that lead with guitar synth vg88 (did it with tapping) i couldn't do it now) and realised how much his music infused in me :flushed:

one of my hero is gone :-((((( RIP Master

wow, that's a blast from the past, stef...i remember that tune and i remember being very impressed with your interpretation at the time. i think i might of had a go as well (can't remember now). it was on the old holdsworth forum, yes?

Back
Top Bottom