Allan Holdsworth Lead Distortion Patch for Q8.02 Plus Demo!

derrylgabel

Hey guys, here's my attempt at matching Allan's lead distortion patch. In this demo I'm attempting to play "The Drums Were Yellow" solo. I'm using the Kiesel Vader6X with a KH12B pickup ( the Holdsworth pickup ) and it's about 4mm away from the strings. My tone knob is set to 5. The FW is 8.02. I have to thank Simeon for helping with the idea of running the delays in parallel. Simeon is an axe fx guru. I got the delay settings from the Holdsworth preset on the Yamaha Magic Stomp. The amp is Allan's favorite ( from the 2014 interview on youtube ) the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Orange. There's a drive block in front of the amp. It's the T808 OD. I used audio from a video on youtube of Allan demoing the rocket pedal to capture the the Tone Match block. The amp settings was from an old guitar mag from the 90's that showed Allan's settings. Finally I used the multiband EQ in the amp block to get me the rest of the way there.

Attachments

• AH Detune Distortion Leadv3.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:
Thanks guys! Just curious to know how it sounds on your rigs. Keep in mind I'm using the Kiesel Holdsworth pickup which is low output, the pickup is 4 mm away from the strings, and my tone knob is on 5.

Superb !
Allan will always be the number one for me.
I can't believe that there won't be new music from Mr. Holdsworth.
So sad.

Amazing playing! You're seriously the man Derryl!

That patch is awesome too, thanks for sharing! I've been trying to make one like this for a while but I've had little success.

Thanks for that amazing Holdsworth style demo Derryl.. You clearly have major skills! Your attitude as well as playing ability is always inspiring, and encourages me to hone my own (in my case, self-taught) playing skills!

Very nice patch and great playing.

Any way I could convert this so that it loads on an mkII?

Thanks.

Here's a close friend of mine, Brett Stine. He showed me how to play DWY. He actually plays it tighter than me in my opinion. He will be putting out some Holdsworth transcriptions in the future so be on the look out. He's not using an Axe FX for his tone and it's amazing that he's able to get Allan's sound with the gear he has. I forget exactly what it is. Brett has amazing ears though so it shouldn't surprise me.

Wow, amazing versions of DWY. The patches are awesome as well. I am trying the lead patch with different cabs and the tones are blowing my mind. Thanks a lot Derryl!

Man, I'm so glad I finally got around to watching these videos!

Fantastic playing and tones!

I have to say, your fret hand technique in the first video is about the most efficient I've ever seen... No movement that is not required :)

Back
Top Bottom