All views, experiences and opinions much wanted - Matrix GT-800 vs. GT-1000

raymitchell

Good morning,
So, I've seen threads scattered about these forums weighing the pros and cons of Matrix GT-800 vs. the GT-1000 and, given that I'm thick in the process of clawing my way into a new Axe Fx II XL+ rig, before I jump on a decent deal for a GT-800, I thought it best to get some input from all here who've got experience with these two power amps.

Seems I remember reading somewhere the GT-1000 was much more open sounding (not as dark as the GT-800) and, I assume the GT-1000 has more clean headroom BUT, given the output/horsepower of both these models, I don't know that headroom would be a problem with either model.

What I like as a player is a hyper-quick response from a power amp, minimal compression (except when going for compression via a compressor effect) and TONS of open/bright-as-I-want-it top-end.

I've never been drawn to darker types of sounds, and I like to be able to make whatever I'm playing through 'bite my head off' when/if I feel the need.

Theoretical Rig = Various Emg-equipped ESP's > Line 6 G-90 Wireless > Axe Fx II XL+ > Matrix GT-800 or GT-1000 > either Krank Krankenstein 4x12's or Mesa Boogie Mark Series 2X12's. Rig will always be stereo.

My hope is to put all the pros/cons/debates about these two power amps into one thread, especially in a 'post Quantum firmware' world.

Thoughts?

The GT-800 is an older design so I would go with the 1000. If you have to buy used I've seen GT-1000s go by also.

I'm not real fond of either of these power amps.
But based on my experience, the 1000 sounds a LOT better than the 800.

I've owned a 1000 for a few years and it always paled next to my Bryston 2B LP which is a true reference amp.
The 1000 has a weird scooping in the mids that just doesn't sound right to me.
I noticed it even more when running recorded music through the 1000 vs the Bryston.

Since the 800s were originally designed as PA amps (and the 1000s were modified from that to better suit guitarists) I thought the 800 might sound more like the Bryston, so I ordered one.
But it just didn't sound very good at all. IMO.
The main noticeable thing was the harsh/brittle top end.
So I returned the 800 for a refund.
It only cost me the shipping to find out.

I did the same thing with a Carvin DCM200L, hoping it had a similar sound to the Bryston.
Returned it the next day.

I like the sound of the ART SLA power amps more than the Matrix offerings.
I still have an SLA-1 from my Ultra days.
But nothing sounds as good as the Bryston.

The main thing going on for the Matrix amps IMO is the form factor.
They're very light and they're very loud and they're only 1U.
But there are better sounding power amps out there that will be more true to the signal that the Axe is sending to them. IMO.

I wish there was another 1U power amp out there with a truly flat response but there's nothing else on my radar right now.
There is some real expensive thing I've seen on eBay though with something like 1000 watts per side.
I forget the brand name though.

If you're willing to go with 2U there's a lot more options out there.
Check out the QSC amps.

I own and gig with an 800 multiple nights a week but have borrowed a 1000 from a friend because I wanted to see if I needed to upgrade.

800 is a little more compressed and a little darker on the top end
1000 is a little "wider" in the lows and highs and can sound more "scooped" but it's actually just an auditory illusion (in my opinion) because you have more low end and high end. There's actually not less mid frequencies than the 800, just more of the spectrum in there.

At the end of the day, the differences were subtle and I probably wouldn't hear it in the mix. So i decided not to upgrade. Obviously the 1000 has more headroom and volume, but I'm not a loud player and I usually have the PA do the heavy lifting at gigs (Axe fx Output 1 > FOH) if I need the extra volume, and the power amp is just for my reference on stage. I've already had my 800 blow out two speakers, so the thing can get really damn loud.

I'm not real fond of either of these power amps.

I've owned a 1000 for a few years and it always paled next to my Bryston 2B LP which is a true reference amp.
The 1000 has a weird scooping in the mids that just doesn't sound right to me.
I noticed it even more when running recorded music through the 1000 vs the Bryston.

Ok good to know. I have a GT1000 as well and never really noticed the scooped sound. Or at least it didn't bother me. Or maybe the scoop is part of the real amp sound that you might like. Never heard of that Bryston amp before. Thanks for the tip!

I had an 800 and a 1000 (2U quiet version). Truthfully, they were good, and I was using some great FRFR and guitar cabs with 'em. But for me, once I tried the Atomic active neo CLR, there was no going back. And I hear there's new gear that gives the Atomic a run for its money...

Using non neo CLR's here and they are great for me. The Matrix power amps I almost bought before the Atomics, and Im surprised to know (first I have heard as well) about the scooped sounds from them. Maybe you just got a bad one? I know that you were saying it had a wider range of lows and highs versus the 800 so that may not be what you meant. Oh yea, and BTW, Head room isn't about being louder per say. Its about being able to hit those peaks without hitting the limits of the amps design. More head room is always a GOOD thing, even when playing softly.:encouragement:

The only concern I would have with a GT1000FX is that 500 watts into a 412 cab with 4 celestion V30's seems a little scary. I have never heard of anyone blowing speakers yet.

Ok good to know. I have a GT1000 as well and never really noticed the scooped sound. Or at least it didn't bother me. Or maybe the scoop is part of the real amp sound that you might like. Never heard of that Bryston amp before. Thanks for the tip!

Bryston isn't on most people's radar because they're made for the audiophile market, they're very expensive and are quite heavy.
The 2B LP Pro that I use is 1U and only 60 watts per side or 200 watts bridged.
They've been real popular to drive monitors in world-class studios for several decades.
My Axe never sounds as good as when I use the 2B with my EVM-12Ls.
Any other power amp sounds like a step back.

I only use an ART SLA-2. Can't really complain, it gets me where I want and I like its form factor.

I've been wanting to buy a Matrix but didn't know about the scooped mids.

I use a Matrix GT1000 FX. When I was looking to buy I was steered in their direction from this same forum and I don't regret my choice. I play it thru a Marshall 1960B and it sounds great! I haven't used it with FRFR speakers yet.

Scooped mids? I've tried it and it sounded... Not too far away from my Mesa 50/50. More neutral for sure though. Less coloration.

Comes down to what you are used to, and how the presets are tweaked. Imho you can't just jump from one power amp to another without optimizing or at least tweak a preset, and then say that this or that does not sound as good.... Imho, of course.

It's like changing cab on a real amp and not do anything to the eq....

And what are you looking for? Amp in the room or amp on record sound?

I only use an ART SLA-2. Can't really complain, it gets me where I want and I like its form factor.

I've been wanting to buy a Matrix but didn't know about the scooped mids.

Thats where I am. I have an SLA-2, and it sounds OK to me. I always wonder if a Matrix would be a big upgrade or not. I also wonder about upgrading to a Carvin 1540L, which many people like just about as much as Matrix at half the price.

Currently, I have an ART SLA-2 on an extended loan from my best friend. I got to use it for a couple months with his Axe Fx Standard and, the thing that stands out in my memory from that time was that the combination sounded pretty dark overall. As I've read and done a lot of homework over the last year and a half, I understand that a large part of that 'darkness' in the tone was probably more the Axe Fx Standard than the SLA-2. Also, for about the last year I've been 'getting by' with an Eleven Rack while I save for an Axe Fx II XL+ and, while the Eleven is pretty lacking in features, it still sounds pretty reasonable given what it is. My point in even mentioning the Eleven is that it doesn't sound dark like the Axe Fx Standard did with the SLA-2. ...And yes, I did a TON of EQ work and amp tweaking with the Standard and got it sounding pretty good, but I never managed to get the top end to sound open in a natural way.

What I'm really after with the Matrix GT is to get the Axe Fx amp sounds 'in the room' and in my face through whichever cab(s) I use. I'm not too worried about FOH because I know for sure the Axe Fx II will sound wonderful in the mains.

The other thing that's driving me toward this deal on the GT-800 is (like everyone else, I imagine) 1. weight - and 2. dimensional depth. The SLA-2 is fairly deep and pretty heavy which also requires me to use a deeper rack. I've been known to have the occasional international/flyaway gig here and there so, the idea of being able to put an Axe Fx rig (4 space rack) into an overhead compartment on a plane is very appealing. Oh, and believe me when I say '5 lbs here - 10 lbs there' really matters when you sometimes have to carry your gear (literally!) for miles.

If it helps, the tones I love are not very surprising. The amp sounds I like are of the boosted/modded Marshall variety (Friedman, JCM-800, JMP-1, JVM, 5150-III) the Boogie Mark Series and some Tri-Axis stuff. I adore 80's crystal-clean tones (Andy Summers, Def Leppard - Hysteria, Queensryche - Empire, usual JC-120-type tones) and I usually run from dark, loose, and wooly/fuzz type tones. I crave transparency, articulation, and I prefer to get as much of my crunch from my right hand attack as possible. So, in my goofy fantasy world, I need whatever power amp I end up with to sound open, respond like lightning, and be very revealing.

I did a shootout between ART SLA-2, GT800FX and Engl 850/100 years ago. The Matrix won in all aspects. I never experienced anything like scooped mids. It depends on the tones you´re going for I suspect. I remember reading somewhere that the 800 is better for high-gain stuff to cut through the mix because it´s a little more compressed, while the 1000 is better for cleanish-edge of breakup tones sounding more open. I never heard a 1000 though. Since I am more into high-gain I was happy with the 800. That being said, the 800 is collecting dust since I got the CLR active wedges.

I run the Axe Fx 2 Xl+ into the 2 space Matrix GT1000FX. I have no experience with the 1 unit, but I am told the 2 unit is a touch more quiet due to bigger fans. This of course is more of a recording concern than a live situation. This Poweramp rocks, and I hear no scooped mids with it. This thing delivers whatever you put into it, only louder. I went with the 1000 over the 800 after reading tons of reviews. Joe

I use the GT800FX 1U in bridge mode to power my Orange Cab and my sound is phenomenal.

Before owning the Matrix, I had a Carvin DCM200L which also sounded good, the only problem with the Carvin was that I had to really crank it to get the volume I needed.

With all the advanced tone shaping capabilities of the Axe Fx, you really can't go wrong with either the 800 or the 1000, I've never played through the 1000, but I imagine that the subtle character that any power amp brings into the equation can very easily be dialed out with the Axe Fx. I can assure you that you're going to sound great no matter which amp you decide to get. ;)

Scooped mids?

FWIW
When I made that comment I was comparing my Matrix GT1000 amp to a Bryston 2B LP.
The 2B LP is a true reference amp used in professional studios around the world for decades to drive passive studio monitors.
As far as I am aware, power amps don't get any more flat and accurate than the ones that Bryston makes.

And when I compared the 2B with the GT, both playing my Axe-FX through guitar cabs (Cab Block off) and playing CDs through FRFR passive monitors, the GT sounded somewhat scooped and hollow compared to the 2B.
The 2B was noticeably more musical sounding, especially with the CDs.
The illusion that I'm playing through a real tube amp is significantly enhanced when I'm using the 2B through my guitar cabs than when I'm using the Matrix.

But I'm actually using the GT right now in my rack.
The main reasons are that my Bryston is underpowered (unless used in bridged mono mode) and on the heavy side and also has an issue with the electrical contact at the banana plugs which sometimes causes my speakers to cut out.
In my little system, with my 4-space rack, I need a 1U power amp with at least 200 watts per side into 8ohms.
There aren't many products out there that fit this bill, the main ones being the SLA-2 and the Matrix offerings.
The SLA-2 is significantly heavier than the Matrix or I'd probably be using one.
I actually like the sound of my old SLA-1 that I was using with my Ultra back in the day more than the GT1000 so I figure I'd also like the SLA-2.
But for now, the GT1000 is in my rack and it does a VERY serviceable job of driving my guitar rig.
But I'd be using a 2U or larger Class A/B power amp if I didn't have my specific form factor needs.

I ordered a GT800 to see if it was flatter sounding than the GT1000 and it kind of was in that it has a less pronounced scoop to it but it just didn't sound very good at all compared to any of my other power amps, including the GT1000, so I returned it.

Just my own experiences.
Take it all with a grain of salt.

I run the Axe Fx 2 Xl+ into the 2 space Matrix GT1000FX. I have no experience with the 1 unit, but I am told the 2 unit is a touch more quiet due to bigger fans. This of course is more of a recording concern than a live situation. This Poweramp rocks, and I hear no scooped mids with it. This thing delivers whatever you put into it, only louder. I went with the 1000 over the 800 after reading tons of reviews. Joe
I have a 1sp GT1000FX and the fan is easily quiet enough for recording. Way quieter than my Axe Fx 2 fan, and quieter than the GT800FX it replaced.

Back
Top Bottom