All Time Favourite Guitar Solo

Yeah, I'd like to know who is "under-rating" Steve Howe. He's considered a guitar god by anyone I've ever discussed guitar players with.

ok.. maybe under-rated was a poor choice of word...
from a mid 80's on with the appearance of all the shredders, maybe overlooked would be a better word
certainly in the guitar mags.. that were chock full of Satch and Vai etc reviews

I think there are very few that can play multi-minute long solos and keep them interesting..
Howe though can..

A lot of modern players have already been mentioned so I'll add these.
Almost anything from these guys

Ollie Halsall (Patto)
John McLaughlin (various inc. Mahavishnu Orchestra)
Al Di Meola
George Lynch (Dokken + others)
Robert Fripp (King Crimson)
Jan Akkerman (Focus + others)
Kim Simmonds (Savoy Brown)
Andy Powell (Wishbone Ash)
Andrew Latimer (Camel)
John Goodsall (Brand X + others)

That's not the end but where do you stop !

I'm getting into this late, but probably my favorite solo of all time is: "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" - by Pink Floyd. Others that stand out...

Night Ranger - Darn near anything. These guys could play and were musically intelligent as well. To comment on an earlier post, Gillis's 'Sister Christian' was one of his proudest writing achievements. I personally loved (and played!) 'Don't tell me you love me", but I had to make sure I played it before the 4th set when the beer started kicking in... damn that dexterity!

Queen/Brian May - the Dr. of tasteful solos, with musical knowledge that probably parallels his offline pursuits (He's a Dr. of ... AstroPhysics? Something similar anyway)

Gary Moore - Tone, tone, tone, tone - go finish your life - tone, tone, tone...

King's X/Ty Taybor - What a happy accident! I used to belong to a record club that sent out the featured disc before you had a chance to say 'no'. They sent me a King's X - Faith, Hope, Love I think - OMG. How does he do it?

Too many more to list, but God bless 'em all!

Pete

and this is an absolute corker from GG
his phrasing in this is just wonderful
Guthrie Govan - Fives - YouTube

+1. Jaw dropping performance from a monster player!

I know this is a totally different style and genre, but I've always loved one of the solos on Long Time by Boston; the one where everyone stops and the guitar comes in with one long sustained note. I believe it's Barry Goudreau on guitar. Not the most technical solo in the world but certainly well placed and hard hitting!

Last edited:
Aye, so many good ones to pick from, and it changes alot as time goes by. If I had to pick a current fave tho, it would have to be Andy Timmons with the solo from Ghost Of You. It just hits a homerun in every sense for me, both in tone, feel and phrasing, especially the run he does somewhere towards the end. It's not the fact that he plays the run very fast, but the way he makes every note in there mean something :)

With the many amazing guitar solos my ears have had the pleasure of listening to over the years, it's hard to pick just one but....One of my all time favorites has to be the outro solo on Gary Moore's Empty Rooms, recorded in Stockholm 1987 during his Wild Frontier Tour. This guy was so melodic, played with such feeling and was so under-rated. Below is a youtube link of the solo but unfortunately the quility ain't too great.

Gary Moore Empty Rooms Live 1987 His Best Guitar Solo - YouTube

Wow, that was ripping! All I want to hear in a solo is in there.

1967. I was 16. Heard 'Crossroads' by Clapton and Cream. Made me want to play guitar.

Too many more to count since then.

Yeah....I'm old.

But still playin'.

Im gonna go with Greg Howe with what he did with " Sunny" out of shear improv.
Also Vinnie More on his Hotlicks intro. Vinnie Moore - Guitar solo - YouTube
Kotzen at the end of "fooled again"
Vai with "Juice"
Satch with "one robots dream"
Too many!
Oh...and GOvan...Waves. I love his bends into slides and bends again!

Last edited:
"Frank" Steve Vai. Sweet as dudes!
"Oooo" Steve Vai.
"How could I" Cynic. Jason Gobel's outro.

And a new one for me ..
"A darkened mind" Circus maximus. Mats Haugen ROCKS!

ritchie blackmore.....'child in time'
no one played like this in '68!!
oh thats's for sure .. at that time Child in time solo was " eruption " of that era.. can't forget that.. i was thinking that aliens must be playing that solo guitar.. still a masterpiece after such a long time..!

oh and gary moore 'empty rooms' 87 is melodic bliss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The list could be endless, but the one which gets me every time again is Eric Clapton's solo on Sting's "It's Probable Me" (2:25). Simple, beautiful and laid-back. Each lick sounds like a masterpiece to me .. and the sound is just to die for and fits perfectly to this tune.

Back
Top Bottom