All This Downtuning

Isn’t like every VH song Eb standard or drop D? Let’s not get all bent out of shape over nothing new under the sun.

If you don't want to listen to the whole song, skip to about 1:25, that's the second verse and listen through the break. You'll hear the verse getting stepped down with a pitch shifter until the drop, it's so nasty.

This song is more accessible, great singing and melody then just a ridiculous breakdown after the ambient part. You should listen the whole way but if you don't want to, start at the bridge into the ambient into the breakdown. Happens at around 2:15.

and yes, Courtney, the singer, is doing all the vocals, clean and screams.

I started listening to Spiritbox a couple months ago after these videos popped up while surfing YouTube. She has a great singing and screaming voice. Rumor has it she wrestled a bear once ;)

"I was playing in Drop B but now I just play in B standard".

Why even play guitar then? Just play a six string bass.

i heard this song and had to do some googling. In one of our cars this note, in the second half, just comes out as a vibration. No audible sound.

issues : downfall : from beautiful oblivion

"
'Downfall' contains the lowest note we’ve ever recorded. The bridge and ending of 'Downfall' is on a low C#, an octave under what people usually call drop C#, and my bass is an octave under that. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a recorded note lower than my bass note, but if it’s out there, I need to find it. Good on my signature Spector for handling that tuning!"

edit: as a selling point, I can hear the note on my $18,000 ATC SCM 100s :)

Last edited:
There's dirt on this planet that's younger than me, so it's probably no surprise that the vast majority of the downtuned, screamed, technically proficient but rhythmically scattered modern metal just really isn't my cup o' Darjeeling. I can't make it all the way through most of the videos posted in this thread. :rolleyes: But if that's what moves you, that's cool. ;)

It saddens me when people post arch enemy (are they still in C standard?) without it being Angela era. I'm old in modern metal years.

Reactions: JTI
There's dirt on this planet that's younger than me, so it's probably no surprise that the vast majority of the downtuned, screamed, technically proficient but rhythmically scattered modern metal just really isn't my cup o' Darjeeling. I can't make it all the way through most of the videos posted in this thread. :rolleyes: But if that's what moves you, that's cool. ;)

I always thought my tastes would mellow as I got older. I'm almost 39, and the music I listen to just keeps getting heavier. Growl vox completely turned me off in my early 20s. Then Opeth sucked me in with Ghost Reveries. Ironic that they've gone in the opposite direction. Can't stand their new stuff.

I just can't watch that video and not yell STOP CUPPING THE MIC, DUMBASS!!!

As for downtuning the guitar, it will give you a heavier sound. For a while. But if you do it constantly its no more heavier then standard E. Which is why I think most metal bands fall flat on their faces. If you mostly play in standard E, then alternating with drop D or lower will sound heavy as f*** and will have great effect. That is why Sabbath songs like Into the Void and Children of the Grave are heavy as f*** to this day. Downtune everything and the effect will be lost. Like a Michael Bay move overindulging in transformers beating each other up. Or a Jar Jar Abrams movie drowning in lens flares. Similarly, if you play fast, aggressively angrily all the time it becomes one and the same as well. Throw in some medium rockers and ballads and the fast aggressive still will hit harder then the Mother of All Bombs.

3fwcjn187rw11.jpg

Back
Top Bottom