All This Downtuning

I believe he runs the bass thru 2 different rigs, one of which is for "bass" and one for "guitar".

Yes he does but actually runs through multiple amps for different tones for different sections of songs and usually enables them all for choruses. To get a similar sound you just split the bass signal to a a clean bass amp and a distorted Fender guitar amp.

Because it's fun. I love ridiculously low-tuned guitars. One of the best heavy bands around right now, Spiritbox, their guitarist plays a 7 tuned to to like drop F in one song, then pitch shifts to like double drop D for the drop...it's ridiculous but crushing. He does quite a lot of that and it sounds massive.

“Different strokes for different folks”... Why limit yourself to 6 strings? Adding strings opens up so many different tuning variations.

C# standard - 49 years ago.

When I was a kid, this was my reasoning for needing a 2nd guitar for low tunings. My Dad listened to Black Sabbath, so I figured it was a good excuse for needing another guitar but I really wanted a down tuned guitar to play Rusty Cage by Soundgarden. I also tried to convince my parents that I needed a 3rd guitar with a Floyd Rose, so I could play Kickstart My Heart by Motley Crew but then I realized they tune down to D standard and you can't easily tune down a Floyd Rose, so I was on my quest for a 4th guitar. My parents didn't want me to have a bunch of guitars but told me I can buy whatever I want when I get a job and move out. I now have over 30 guitars and basses because I needed one for every day of the month ;)

If you don't want to listen to the whole song, skip to about 1:25, that's the second verse and listen through the break. You'll hear the verse getting stepped down with a pitch shifter until the drop, it's so nasty.

This song is more accessible, great singing and melody then just a ridiculous breakdown after the ambient part. You should listen the whole way but if you don't want to, start at the bridge into the ambient into the breakdown. Happens at around 2:15.

and yes, Courtney, the singer, is doing all the vocals, clean and screams.

If you don't want to listen to the whole song, skip to about 1:25, that's the second verse and listen through the break. You'll hear the verse getting stepped down with a pitch shifter until the drop, it's so nasty.

This song is more accessible, great singing and melody then just a ridiculous breakdown after the ambient part. You should listen the whole way but if you don't want to, start at the bridge into the ambient into the breakdown. Happens at around 2:15.

Love me some Spiritbox

so good, one of my fav bands in a long time, especially the newest stuff

Their live take of Mara Effect parts 1-3 is dope. Rule of Nines is still probably my favorite recent track. That off-beat cymbal rhythm in the first verse gives me instant stank face.

Our bassist had to be coaxed into liking Animals as Leaders. He’s very skeptical of any band with no bass player.

Their live take of Mara Effect parts 1-3 is dope. Rule of Nines is still probably my favorite recent track. That off-beat cymbal rhythm in the first verse gives me instant stank face.

I got hooked on them too recently, great and creative riffs and an excellent pop singer with the best growls. :) I also like their song The Beauty of Suffering.

I got hooked on them too recently, great and creative riffs and an excellent pop singer with the best growls. :) I also like their song The Beauty of Suffering.
yeah, the guitarist (singer's husband) is very creative...just a great band overall.

This makes me feel old!!
Hahaha...none of us can escape age, only our outlook on it. Hell, 2 years ago I still had brown hair, now it’s mostly white with some grey patches.

Sorry guys, I've posted recently more than usual...don't worry I'm not hyperactive but I would just like to share this short story with you, it fits well. This summer, I was talking to some guys from a cover band my wife and I were just listening to, outside a bar on the seaside. And after they mentioned where they were from, I was thrilled. I knew some musicians from the local scene and started excitedly asking about them...Then my wife suddenly interrupted me and said it was probably 20 years ago, these young gentlemen didn't even go to school yet. It just struck me - wrong generation...dude, you are old. :)

I’ve been tuned down a half step since Jimmy but I noticed country music is doing it now.

I was getting ready for a show this weekend and the club had an Internet country radio station playing.

3 out of every 4 new country songs were tuned down a half step.

Back
Top Bottom