All shared patches I load are too bright

I am using an Axe FX II XL+ and have been able to create tones that work well for me. However, I have always thought every shared tone I took from other users through forums, Axe Change, etc are too bright. Yesterday, I purchased Austin Buddy's Dream Rigs for the II XL+. These patches are also too bright. After hearing all of the positive reviews as the best place to start creating sounds I am sure that there is a configuration problem with my Axe and not the patches.

I am using the Quantum v10.01 firmware.

I have ensured that there is no global EQ causing it as mine is flat. Additionally, I am sure that the power amp modeling and cabinet modeling are on.

I use the XLR outputs into my DAW and PA. The meters on the DAW/PA claim that the signal is not clipping.

Any ideas/help is much appreciated!

I like Austin Buddy's patches and those from some other creators. With different guitars, speakers and fingers, though, they all need to be tweaked a little. Most of the random presets I have tried from Axchange do not translate very well to my rig (and I use pretty standard options -- Strat, CLR). The big advantage of Austin Buddy's to me is that they are mostly volume leveled. I start from there and then tweak a little to my own guitar and ear.

I have an additional piece of evidence. I just plugged my headphones into the headphone out on the Axe FX and the tones are not too bright. I then plugged the headphones into to my IEM monitoring output on my PA and it is way too bright. The Axe Fx is connected to teh PA though the XLR output 1. There is no EQ'ing added to the input channel nor the monitoring bus to create the brighter tone.

Regarding it being my instrument, I have tried it on 3 different guitars that have never been described as bright.

Maybe you have a different idea of what "too bright" is compared to most other people ??
I have heard demos from Leon Todd, etc of the Austin Buddy pack and unless they pre-updated all of the patches they demoed, mine is definitely way brighter! Some of them demoed all 700+ patches, so I doubt they updated them, but one cannot be sure.

You may want to try to Reset system parameters in the utility menu....? Did you buy your Axe used?

Behringer X32 Rack -> Behringer P1 Personal Monitoring System -> Sennheiser HD 598 Head phones

I am using the same headphones to compare tone at the Axe FX head phone Jack and my PA monitoring out.

Here's two things to try to narrow down where to focus:
  • Plug the AxeFX outs into the P1 ins - IOW, bypass the X32
  • Plug your headphones into the X32 headphone jack - IOW, bypass the P1
The X32 has a lot of places along the way to change the EQ. Have you verified that the channel input on the X32 is configured for Line input and set completely flat? What about any high pass or low cut settings? What about the output bus you are routing it to? What about the master bus?

Here's two things to try to narrow down where to focus:
  • Plug the AxeFX outs into the P1 ins - IOW, bypass the X32
  • Plug your headphones into the X32 headphone jack - IOW, bypass the P1
The X32 has a lot of places along the way to change the EQ. Have you verified that the channel input on the X32 is configured for Line input and set completely flat? What about any high pass or low cut settings? What about the output bus you are routing it to? What about the master bus?

I am setting the input gain for the channel correctly, but I do not see a way to configure a channel for line input. Are the balanced output on the Axe still sending line level output?

I am setting the input gain for the channel correctly, but I do not see a way to configure a channel for line input. Are the balanced output on the Axe still sending line level output?
I used to have an X32 until last year... I believe each channel is universal and can accept either mic or line inputs (all ports are XLR).

It sounds like through the deductive work you folks have already done, that the problem is somewhere in the mixer's rendering of the sound. If both the speakers AND the monitor circuitry feeding the IEM's sound bright, we can't pin it on the monitor circuitry - it wasn't in play when listening to the speakers (unless you're driving your speakers from the monitor controllers).

I have an X32 rack and keep my channels flat for the Axe. Nothing sounds too bright due to the mixer.

Make sure your bus and outputs are not EQ’d in addition to the channel.

I personally have never downloaded a Preset from anyone, paid or free, and it immediately worked with my gear. I always have to EQ the basic things to get it to sound how I like.

Consider that presets made for live use are indeed bright and lacking low end as that’s what typically works in live bands with guitar.

I have an additional piece of evidence. I just plugged my headphones into the headphone out on the Axe FX and the tones are not too bright. I then plugged the headphones into to my IEM monitoring output on my PA and it is way too bright.
I’m starting to suspect your P1.

Back
Top Bottom