All purpose patch for live playing

LVC

Fractal Fanatic
I just uploaded to Axe Exchange my basic all purpose live patch (You need to crank it up)
When I play out I use my Axe setup like I would use a regular combo amp at a gig. Just plug and play (no FOH).

Music my band plays is mostly soul/r&b with some dance, a little bit of blues and some classic rock

Twin and Tweed amps are used

5 Scenes
1. Basic Rhythm
2. Compressor (R&B/Motown/Dance) (if amp is set to Y switch to x -- it is suppose to be Twin in Scene 2)
3. Edge Breakup - when I need a little bit of hair
4. Light Crunch - nothing heavy (think "Baby Its You" Smith Version)
5. Lead - Amp Change to a Tweed
Guitar: Suhr Humbucker tele Korina Body
Matrix Amp Q12 cab

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=1449

Last edited:
Thanks very much for this, I really appreciate it. I have a lot of trouble mixing really effective live tones, bedroom tones seem to be quite easy for me in comparison. You and I have a similar setup, I have the Matrix GT800fx and CFR12 so I hope to hear this patch as you intended it.

I have wondered about a distinction on Axe-change specifying if a patch is meant for live use or bedroom/DAW recording. Others may be able to tweak and switch them back and forth easier than I can though.

Paul.

I don't understand as I get the same sounds live or in the studio. The room acoustics plays an important role as you need to adjust your sound to the room. In my short experience with the Axe FX II I find that my presets transfer fine into live settings. What kind of deficiencies are you running into?

Love & Peace,

David

Thanks very much for this, I really appreciate it. I have a lot of trouble mixing really effective live tones, bedroom tones seem to be quite easy for me in comparison. You and I have a similar setup, I have the Matrix GT800fx and CFR12 so I hope to hear this patch as you intended it.

I have wondered about a distinction on Axe-change specifying if a patch is meant for live use or bedroom/DAW recording. Others may be able to tweak and switch them back and forth easier than I can though.

You are right -- there should be an option so you can distinguish the two. A lot of the patches I have sampled sound great at low volume but when I crank them up they start to fall apart.

I have a gig tomorrow and I wanted to tweak my patches a bit more today (changed some scenes around added a new amp to the mix etc) -- luckily my wife is out for the day. I need to crank my Matrix to really tweak my patches -- only time I can do it is when the wife is out :)

I can then lower the volume down and practice knowing that my patches are dialed in for when I play out.

Paul.

I don't understand as I get the same sounds live or in the studio. The room acoustics plays an important role as you need to adjust your sound to the room. In my short experience with the Axe FX II I find that my presets transfer fine into live settings. What kind of deficiencies are you running into?

Love & Peace,

David

Reverb for one can sound very different same as gain at lower volumes. so if you dial in your reverb and gain to play at lower volumes when you crank it (at least to me) it sound different (not in a good way).

Room has a major effect as well. Typically when I get to a gig I EQ my amp (front panel) -- like I would a normal amp to the room -- usually very minor tweaks (if needed) because my presets are already set for gig volume.

My application might be different than others -- I do not go through FOH -- my amp/cab is my sole source of amplification -- it is not used for monitoring.

When I am tweaking my patches for live use I typically run the Matrix GT1000 with the vol between 1 and 3 (which is where I usually run it live)

Last edited:
I basically use my amp/ cab for my main sound source and I pick up a bit in FOH by running through my vocal processor. I keep the guitar mix in the FOH at a very low gain. Is it possible your preset got corrupted? Maybe start building preset over might fix it.

Love & Peace,

David

I basically use my amp/ cab for my main sound source and I pick up a bit in FOH by running through my vocal processor. I keep the guitar mix in the FOH at a very low gain. Is it possible your preset got corrupted? Maybe start building preset over might fix it.

Love & Peace,

David

I found that as well ..

I build my own -- best way to get what you want.

I check the exchange often.

It is fun to try new things from great contributors.

I wish there was more in depth descriptions of the presets, however.

Thank for letting me check out you preset !:encouragement:

Reactions: LVC
I check the exchange often.

It is fun to try new things from great contributors.

I wish there was more in depth descriptions of the presets, however.

Thank for letting me check out you preset !:encouragement:

YW -- nothing exotic -- just a simple preset for meat and potatoes club players like me.

How do I turn on Filter 2. I have been tryingbto figure it out but can't. I tried putting a switch on bypass and a few other ways that didnt work. When I click on filter2 in the editor it turns it on and sounds great BTW. How do I set it up please.......

Love & Peace,

David Goldberg

How do I turn on Filter 2. I have been tryingbto figure it out but can't. I tried putting a switch on bypass and a few other ways that didnt work. When I click on filter2 in the editor it turns it on and sounds great BTW. How do I set it up please.......

Love & Peace,

David Goldberg

In axe edit it is easy -- just right click on it and click bypass (FIL should turn Pink)-- you are already doing that

but if your are using the MFC -- you need to assign one of the IA switches to filter 2
here is a great video on how to setup the MFC http://www.boutiquegeartalk.com/videos/441/axe-fx-ii-mfc-101-initial-setup.html

To Activate it from the Axe-FX front panel

1. Press layout button
2. Press arrows until you highlight FIL (first in chain)
3. Press FX Bypass button on front panel

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom