All of a sudden my AxeIII analog output seems to be half ? SOLVED !!

Gregmang

Fractal Fanatic
Long time user and never encountered this.

My audio stereo output 1 from the AxeFX typically goes to my adaptors breakout box (L and R) and then into my DAW. I've had the same setup for years and then all of a sudden I now have only half the signal (volume-wise) going into my DAW compared to just yesterday ? And to complete the cliché I've literally changed nothing.

Tried all different cables and no joy as well as a different DAW in another OS (I dual boot). The AxeFX is getting the input signals just fine but the output is now anemic at best.

Reinstalled fw for the hell of it...no change.

I guess its system reset time ? I've never had to do that even going back to the AxeFX II days...

The output meter on my Axe looks like it always has, the input meters on both my interface and DAW are just about half.

So weird.

And yep, analog.

Half? Do you mean 6 dB? If so, is the signal mono when it should be stereo?
The stereo pair appears to be halved as shown in both the DAW as well as the Axe.

EDIT - and if I look at each mono half of the stereo pair in the DAW they also seem like they are getting half the signal they did yesterday.

The stereo pair appears to be halved as shown in both the DAW as well as the Axe.
The amount of the reduction would be an important clue, but saying "half" is ambiguous. Are you talking about a logarithmic scale? A better way to say it would be to say how many dB it has been attenuated.

I know its ambiguous as I'm just reading meters - sorry.

Even with the output cranked fully clockwise on Output 1 I'm barely reading -20db on my DAW.

And of course with it fully cranked it sounds like garbage as it should.

Does your interface have a pad switch or adjustable input gain? Maybe that got changed by accident.

Ya, I've spent a bunch of time looking at that as well - I wonder if the interface is going tits up...I can't find anything awry from a sw or settings perspective.

Output thru the interface is normal and previously recorded audio out of my DAW at normal levels.

WOO HOO !

Turns out the software for the interface took it upon itself to change routing of the breakout box which effectively attenuated the input signal. Reloaded a preset for CueMix that I had save at some point and like magic all is good.

What an amazing group you guys are - thx for jumping on this issue with me and coming up with ideas.

THANK YOU !

Can you remove the interface from the signal path, to see if the DAW then receives a stronger signal? It certainly sounds odd as hell.

Can you remove the interface from the signal path, to see if the DAW then receives a stronger signal? It certainly sounds odd as hell.
THIS. I realize you got it sorted out, but when this sort of thing happens, the first thing I do is start removing variables. No power to a tool using an extension cord? Plug the tool directly into the wall. Simple things first.

Back
Top Bottom