All-In-One or Do you use Effect pedals as well?

I know I'm kind of a weirdo like this, but there's a few things that I like to have as separate, just to have them immediately available. I've always kept a Blackstone overdrive on my AF3 board, and I think it's going to be replaced with the CB Automatone preamp. Having the outside overdrive is just a preference- it's not necessary by any means, but it lets me be a little bit more flexible in the moment, in that I don't feel quite as locked into the scenes that I have programmed. If I were switching to the FM3, I could see having a separate reverb and drive pedal, and using the FM3 for stacking drives and verbs, delays, pitch, amps and cabs, all the other stuff. Particularly if the reverb and drive were midi enabled- you could have a really powerful system with that.

This makes sense to me. I like the cut of your jib!

Here's yet another incorporating reverb with multiple other effects. This was posted by Burg and is another favorite of mine lately (I think he calls it "Rig 100"). Thanks Burg!!!

1614287749603.png

I used the FM3 last night first time at church rehearsal, and it worked with no issues. I was amazed at how the 3 buttons on the FM3 can do so much.. I went through our Sunday setlist without a miss. The only thing I changed on the default button layout was the Scene mode left and right outer buttons hold function, I change those to page up or down to the next preset. By default in Scenes mode they page up/down to the next set of scenes associated with that patch.

I did not use my Big Sky, and the reverbs from the FM3 filled the place - one step closer to just going FM3 and an expression pedal.

I ordered a Moog EP3, trying to not break the bank, should be here tomorrow. Was interesting not having a volume pedal last night.. doing swells with my volume knob on guitar - hard pass lol..

Funny that you say that. I was kinda of suspecting that, but other have refuted that on my recent posts here as a noob. Maybe I keep the Big Sky for a little while?

I would... but it depends how much you use reverb. Likely necessary with clean tones... perhaps a hint with higher-gain stuff (to add depth, etc.).

I used the FM3 last night first time at church rehearsal, and it worked with no issues. I was amazed at how the 3 buttons on the FM3 can do so much.. I went through our Sunday setlist without a miss. The only thing I changed on the default button layout was the Scene mode left and right outer buttons hold function, I change those to page up or down to the next preset. By default in Scenes mode they page up/down to the next set of scenes associated with that patch.

I did not use my Big Sky, and the reverbs from the FM3 filled the place - one step closer to just going FM3 and an expression pedal.

I ordered a Moog EP3, trying to not break the bank, should be here tomorrow. Was interesting not having a volume pedal last night.. doing swells with my volume knob on guitar - hard pass lol..

Great report about the smooth rehearsal. Congrats!

Question - I noticed that there are two switch/pedal jacks, 1 and 2. Can you put a dual switch on 1 and an expression pedal in jack 2? With that option, I probably could avoid FC-6 for a while.

Great report about the smooth rehearsal. Congrats!

Question - I noticed that there are two switch/pedal jacks, 1 and 2. Can you put a dual switch on 1 and an expression pedal in jack 2? With that option, I probably could avoid FC-6 for a while.

Yes you can, That is how I plan to use it. Volume pedal to Jack 1 and dual switch to Jack 2. I have TRS cables ordered, which is why I have not done it, but I plan to use the dual switch to page up and down my presets. I will then switch the left and right button on FM3 back to the default to where I can advance through all the scenes on a preset. I mostly use 1-2 scenes per song, but sometimes I need 3 and I would like the 4th scene that I cannot see on FM3 alone, to be my swells scene.

I am confident I will not need an FC6 to do what I need at church.

Why seek for complications when you can do everything on the FM3? For my presets i use a template that has wah/comp/drive/amp/cab/vol/cho/rev/filt and 2 delays in parallel. When i need to add a phaser or a flanger, i remove one of the delays or the chorus.
Using the FM3 not only avoids the use of MIDI programming, also avoids any impedance, phase or electrical issue with external pedalas.
And top of that you use just one electrical input.
It's a no brainer for me.

Yes you can, That is how I plan to use it. Volume pedal to Jack 1 and dual switch to Jack 2. I have TRS cables ordered, which is why I have not done it, but I plan to use the dual switch to page up and down my presets. I will then switch the left and right button on FM3 back to the default to where I can advance through all the scenes on a preset. I mostly use 1-2 scenes per song, but sometimes I need 3 and I would like the 4th scene that I cannot see on FM3 alone, to be my swells scene.

I am confident I will not need an FC6 to do what I need at church.
I second this. I've got two Boss FS-5Us going to same pedal input. The second input is still free for whatever. Keep in mind that an external footswitch still takes advantage of both tap and hold behaviors, so it's a lot of additional flexibility.

The AIO method means you don't need to mount it all to a pedal board. I imagine that would be the hassle and defeat the AIO beauty. Extra external boxes that all have to be carried, mounted and powered up.

Are pedal boards a thing with FM3 / FC6? Anyone use them or is it really just grab and go?
I mount mine to a board cut to fit just the FM3 because of that exhaust part at the bottom .

What external switches and expression pedals are compatible with the FM3? @Sthompson86 mentioned Boss FS-7. Those can do latching or unlatching and can switch polarity. As far as expression pedals, any suggestions?

What external switches and expression pedals are compatible with the FM3? @Sthompson86 mentioned Boss FS-7. Those can do latching or unlatching and can switch polarity. As far as expression pedals, any suggestions?

Hi Shawn, I think I saw it best on a thread on here. They are all compatible, minus the Line 6 SP1 Mission pedal.

I have a Line 6 Mission Pedal, and I had no idea it would not work, but I read a thread on here about how it is wired different.

I ordered a Moog EP3, and it worked great. Nice for the price.

I use an ernie ball volume pedal with a TRS to dual TS cable, works great. I also converted a Modtone volume pedal I had laying around by giving it a stereo jack wired to its potentiometer properly, works great.

Attachments

• 20200922_151429.jpg
    20200922_151429.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200922_151602.jpg
    20200922_151602.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Hi Fractal Folks,

I am in investigation mode before I purchase a FM3. Do most folks consider this an "all in one" solution and use it that way or do you incorporate effect pedals as well? Two examples would be a favorite overdrive pedal (Origin Revival Drive / JHS Morning Glory) or favorite reverbs and delays (Strymon Big Sky & Timeline). If I am understanding correctly, FM3 has a processor that gets used up depending on what and how much you incorporate. Reverb and delays use lots of processing power and so I was wondering if FM3 users incorporate outboard effects into their set ups? Or is the net gain not really worth the hassle?

Just curious how the experienced FM3 users approach their set up. This will be a live setup, direct to mixer and FOH.

Thanks!!

Shawn
I got my FM3 2 weeks ago. I meticulously duplicated a couple of must have Strymon Timeline and BigSky presets I needed onto the FM3. They sounded identical enough that I listed my strymons on reverb the next day and sold them. The strymons were a few percent better in sound but not enough to justify needing a bigger board for everything.

Back
Top Bottom