All-In-One or Do you use Effect pedals as well?

shawnfitz1222

Inspired
Hi Fractal Folks,

I am in investigation mode before I purchase a FM3. Do most folks consider this an "all in one" solution and use it that way or do you incorporate effect pedals as well? Two examples would be a favorite overdrive pedal (Origin Revival Drive / JHS Morning Glory) or favorite reverbs and delays (Strymon Big Sky & Timeline). If I am understanding correctly, FM3 has a processor that gets used up depending on what and how much you incorporate. Reverb and delays use lots of processing power and so I was wondering if FM3 users incorporate outboard effects into their set ups? Or is the net gain not really worth the hassle?

Just curious how the experienced FM3 users approach their set up. This will be a live setup, direct to mixer and FOH.

Thanks!!

Shawn

Last edited:
Some use external reverb pedals and control it via midi from the FM3. Some use their favorite pedals with the FM3 since it already sounds like what they want. It depends on what you need to accomplish.

Personally, I am "all in one". The unit is certainly capable enough to handle about anything most people could require. If you peruse enough threads and read about CPU usage and how to maximize, it almost always comes down to the reverb. For that reason, I'm guessing that a separate reverb would be the most common auxiliary pedal.

Here's a good video to demonstrate just how much you can "pack into" a preset.

I sold my Strymon Blue Sky, dont need it anymore... CPU is much better on FM3 than my old AX8, I've sold off almost all of my peddles after I got the FM3, I do recommend the FC6 and a couple of EV1's or EV2's, youi wont regret your purchase and if you do resale is almost same as purchase right now.

I use pedals for sounds I like but haven't found in the FM3 (ex: none of the compressors get the squish I like from my Keeley germanium). My plan is to have my big board with the FM3 + pedals but have some AIO patches so I can pull off the FM3 and travel light if I want to. Best of both worlds!

I'm also waiting for my Poly Effects Beebo to arrive. I plan to use it for some reverb offload but mainly to explore some sonic insanity that the FM3 doesn't do.

All in one for me.
indeed, it is the REVERB that consumes the most resources, then it is the DRIVE block if we consider that the AMP and CAB blocks are compulsory.
To save a little CPU load I replace the REVERB block with a PlexDLY to do a basic reverb. and this adds some possibilities with the algorithms available in this block, beware some are very CPU intensive too ....

I have attached 2 screenshots, the first with the PlexDLY block => 77% CPU load, the second with the REVERB block => 82% CPU load. I try to keep the FM3 below 80% CPU load otherwise it becomes less responsive.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    193.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    191.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
If I had a Strymon, I'd be hard pressed not to use it. Not having one, I've been able to get any of the sounds I want just from the FM3 so I haven't felt the need to get one. As far as drives, I used external pedals with the FX8 until the drives were overhauled. In the FM3, they're even better. Don't use any external pedals anymore. There's nothing else I need in the drive department.

All in one. Except Volume/Expression pedal for controling parameters of the FM3.
I only used pedals spartanicaly in the past.
And I personally think you can also emulate different non existing pedals (eg Drive) using EQs and other stuff available within the FM3.
There are so many possibilities to get a sound that fit your ears that the "missing" simulations are more nice to have than need for me.
But some will have other opinion in that or simply other needs than me.

The reverb block is a cpu hog but I loooooove the fractal reverbs. I have a Boss RV5 and a TC Nova Reverb and they do not hold up to the FM3's verbs. The regular delay blocks are not actually cpu intensive in presets since they share the cpu core that does the amp and cab blocks (someone correct me if I'm wrong here...). Making different presets based on what a song needs solves most of my cpu limit issues. If you MUST have EVERY block in a preset, go with the III.
All that said, I do run a Digitech Drop pedal since it does the virtual capo thing better (at least right now). I also use a Boss DD500 with the FM3 because I really like the Tera Echo effect and haven't found a way to accurately reproduce it in the FM3 yet. I could live without it though and may take it off the board, I only use the Tera Echo in a couple parts of my band's songs and it isn't THAT important.

I listed all my pedals for sale when i got my FM3 except for my hall of fame reverb. In 4 months I haven't even plugged it. I haven't had a need for another reverb or so badly wanted to run other effects that i need to run external reverb. Going to sell the hall of fame too...

Im not sure what I would do if I had a big sky though, midi control might really help to integrate things a bit more...

Personally, I am "all in one". The unit is certainly capable enough to handle about anything most people could require. If you peruse enough threads and read about CPU usage and how to maximize, it almost always comes down to the reverb. For that reason, I'm guessing that a separate reverb would be the most common auxiliary pedal.

Here's a good video to demonstrate just how much you can "pack into" a preset.

Great video and very helpful. Thank you.

The AIO method means you don't need to mount it all to a pedal board. I imagine that would be the hassle and defeat the AIO beauty. Extra external boxes that all have to be carried, mounted and powered up.

Are pedal boards a thing with FM3 / FC6? Anyone use them or is it really just grab and go?

All in one for me.
indeed, it is the REVERB that consumes the most resources, then it is the DRIVE block if we consider that the AMP and CAB blocks are compulsory.
To save a little CPU load I replace the REVERB block with a PlexDLY to do a basic reverb. and this adds some possibilities with the algorithms available in this block, beware some are very CPU intensive too ....

I have attached 2 screenshots, the first with the PlexDLY block => 77% CPU load, the second with the REVERB block => 82% CPU load. I try to keep the FM3 below 80% CPU load otherwise it becomes less responsive.
This is stuff that concerned me. Hopefully you can use delay and reverb together; I'm guessing just not certain ones. Sounds like a puzzle. I can see where you really have to plan.

I have presets with two vol blocks, drive, 2 delays, reverb, EQ, amp/cab, out1 and out 2 ...
Two different delays, 3 different reverbs, per-preset layouts, custom switches, scene levels, 2 amps and 2 cabs .. and running around 60-63% (reverb mode normal, i could save more CPU with the economy mode)
So i'd say: Be cool :D

The AIO method means you don't need to mount it all to a pedal board. I imagine that would be the hassle and defeat the AIO beauty. Extra external boxes that all have to be carried, mounted and powered up.

Are pedal boards a thing with FM3 / FC6? Anyone use them or is it really just grab and go?
You don't need a pedal board to run with an FC or other outboard pedals. That said personally I think it's easier to have everything mounted to a board for setup and teardown. I wanted a little more functionality so I went with the FC-6. I find it to be more fluid when changing anything on the fly sonically but again that's me. Others may disagree but that's why we have options.

I built my board so I can pull the FM off if I don't need the kitchen sink so I truly have it all. The post your rig thread has a lot of ideas and should be a good place to stimulate your brain for what you might need!

I sold my Strymon Blue Sky, dont need it anymore... CPU is much better on FM3 than my old AX8, I've sold off almost all of my peddles after I got the FM3, I do recommend the FC6 and a couple of EV1's or EV2's, youi wont regret your purchase and if you do resale is almost same as purchase right now.

Interesting. That is what I will figure out when I get my FM3 today. I have a Big Sky, and am curious if the FM3 can replace it.

Back
Top Bottom