All Distorted Amps Sound like Fuzzboxed

I do not know what happened but all the sudden when I powered on my FM3 all of the distorted amp tunes sound like fuzz. It’s almost as if the input is distorting for some odd reason. I am not even in the red. I tried it with 2 powered speakrs and the sound of the same.
I definitely am not overloading it. I am not doing any thing different. I’m just not sure what’s happening at this time. Is it possible that somehow the input jack is messed up/blown out? If something messed up?

The only thing I notice is that when I adjust the Input 1 pad from 18db to 0db, it makes no volume difference. ???
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Connections_and_levels#Main_input_level
What is Input Level or Input Pad for?
Input Level and Input Pad are NOT GAIN controls. They do NOT affect the overall volume level, they have no effect on output clipping or on amp gain. The control only optimizes the signal-to-noise ratio of the analog-to-digital converters. The adjustment is applied before the A/D converter and is offset by a corresponding but opposite boost at the output of the converter.

Exception: Input Level below 5% on the Axe-Fx, FM9 or FM3 will have an impact on the signal level. Don't set it that low.

How to set Input Level or Input Pad

Make the red Input LED blink occasionally while strumming the strings. This is known as: "tickling the red". Make sure to strum hard, on the loudest pickup! There's a substantial range between orange and red. If you can't make the LED blink red at all, don't worry, it DOES NOT have an impact on tone or gain.

The red light turns on BEFORE the instrument input clips. It means "Warning, you're APPROACHING clipping" as opposed to "Warning, you ARE clipping". The red light turns on at -6dB from the point where the signal clips. While the word "clipping" is used here, in reality the input signal never clips, because of a limiter will kick in before that.

FM3 / AX8 / FX8: these units let you choose from fixed input padding settings. A higher Input Pad value means lower input level ("padding"), which increases noise floor. So keep the pad as close to 0dB as possible.

"The pad set to 18 dB is equivalent to setting the Input 1/Instr A/D Input Level to 10% on the Axe-Fx III." [32]

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Connections_and_levels#Main_input_level
What is Input Level or Input Pad for?
Input Level and Input Pad are NOT GAIN controls. They do NOT affect the overall volume level, they have no effect on output clipping or on amp gain. The control only optimizes the signal-to-noise ratio of the analog-to-digital converters. The adjustment is applied before the A/D converter and is offset by a corresponding but opposite boost at the output of the converter.

Exception: Input Level below 5% on the Axe-Fx, FM9 or FM3 will have an impact on the signal level. Don't set it that low.

How to set Input Level or Input Pad

Make the red Input LED blink occasionally while strumming the strings. This is known as: "tickling the red". Make sure to strum hard, on the loudest pickup! There's a substantial range between orange and red. If you can't make the LED blink red at all, don't worry, it DOES NOT have an impact on tone or gain.

The red light turns on BEFORE the instrument input clips. It means "Warning, you're APPROACHING clipping" as opposed to "Warning, you ARE clipping". The red light turns on at -6dB from the point where the signal clips. While the word "clipping" is used here, in reality the input signal never clips, because of a limiter will kick in before that.

FM3 / AX8 / FX8: these units let you choose from fixed input padding settings. A higher Input Pad value means lower input level ("padding"), which increases noise floor. So keep the pad as close to 0dB as possible.
Oh, ok. I saw that it only affects the green yellow and red light thingies.

i really am thinking about doing a factory reset.

Check guitar
Check guitar cable
Check that there is no Wah engaged
Reset the system, but create a backup of your FC layouts first.

Ok… I have no effing clue what was going on last night. Last night my guitars (prs/lp) sounded like total shite.

THIS MORNING- things are sounding normal.
I wish I could explain things… 😵

I've had similar on AX8- it sounds horrible for no obvious reason. I turn it off and turn it back on and it returns to normal operations. It only happened maybe twice, but it freaked me out. Haven't had it happen with FM3, but that's not to say it couldn't. Glad it resolved!

I've had similar on AX8- it sounds horrible for no obvious reason. I turn it off and turn it back on and it returns to normal operations. It only happened maybe twice, but it freaked me out. Haven't had it happen with FM3, but that's not to say it couldn't. Glad it resolved!
Good to know. It cleared up the next day. Thought I was losing my mind. lol

Back
Top Bottom