AliExpress floral neck, scalloped from 12th to 24th fret (finally ended building a new guitar from parts)

¡MIERDA! The 648mm (scale length) falls around the place where I am supposed to insert the studs :eek: :eek: :eek:

@Andy Eagle please tell me that I am making some stupid miscalculation and this has an easy fix 😰
ST00.jpg
ST01.jpg
ST02.jpg

Last edited:
Is that body correct for a 25.5" scale neck? Doesn't look like it. I believe the posts for your bridge are supposed to be located @ 25".
See what Andy has to say...

Is that body correct for a 25.5" scale neck? Doesn't look like it. I believe the posts for your bridge are supposed to be located @ 25".
See what Andy has to say...

They are supposed to be installed around 635 ~ 636mm. At the cavity of the bridge pickup!

They are supposed to be installed around 635 ~ 636mm. At the cavity of the bridge pickup!
Yeah, we're saying the same thing, just Imperial vs. Metric. So they obviously can't go there, which is why it seems to me that body is not routed for that neck.

Will it work if I enlarge the neck pocket towards the bridge, removing all the material up to the pickup cavity, to allow installing the neck closer to the bridge ?

NeckPocket.jpg

The neck base still has room for 4 new holes, displaced about 14mm (the distance I need to re-locate the scale-lenght point above the saddles)

I don't mind if I can only use the Bridge and Mid pickups. That would be better than nothing. Or maybe there will still be room for a single coil

Last edited:
Logically, the distance between the bridge and the neck needs to be reduced. Either that, or use a different scale neck with that body, or vice versa. Or the guitar will never intonate properly. That's what I'm seeing.
Can it be done with that body? In theory, I suppose. But if you cut the neck pocket deeper, would there be some negative repercussion that you're not aware of? You'd be removing wood between the pocket and the neck PU rout, making it thinner in that area. I have no idea if that would be ok.
Or, can the trem posts be drilled a little closer to the bridge PU cavity? Again, how close is too close?
A combination of both adjustments?
I'm sure Andy will know what to do...

Logically, the distance between the bridge and the neck needs to be reduced. Either that, or use a different scale neck with that body, or vice versa. Or the guitar will never intonate properly. That's what I'm seeing.
Can it be done with that body? In theory, I suppose. But if you cut the neck pocket deeper, would there be some negative repercussion that you're not aware of? You'd be removing wood between the pocket and the neck PU rout, making it thinner in that area. I have no idea if that would be ok.
Or, can the trem posts be drilled a little closer to the bridge PU cavity? Again, how close is too close?
A combination of both adjustments?
I'm sure Andy will know what to do...

You're right. I would lose contact surface between body and neck. I don't know what impact that can have.

I could do a combination of reducing both neck and body. I could file the neck with patience, but the problem is that I do not have a router, and reducing that wall at the body would be very difficult to do without one.

You're right. I would lose contact surface between body and neck. I don't know what impact that can have.

I could do a combination of reducing both neck and body. I could file the neck with patience, but the problem is that I do not have a router, and reducing that wall at the body would be very difficult to do without one.
Even if you had a router, you'd need a jig to control it. The jig would need to exact radius to maintain the correct curve that the end of the neck has. Not an easy thing to do, to modify that body.
How did you determine that that body and neck were compatible with each other?

How did you determine that that body and neck were compatible with each other?

The body was labeled as ST. Additionally, I asked the seller for a neck recommendation (he doesn't have necks in stock) and he pointed me to a shop where they only have 648 mm scale-length necks for Strat

Last edited:
Now I am confused 🤪

I have found this Stratocaster drawing where it says that the distance from the outer side of the neck pocket to the point where the saddles go is 10.49in (266.5mm) for a 25.5in Scale Length:
Dimensions St_1.jpg
That is what I measure at this body:
Dimensions_1.jpg

And this other Stratocaster drawing where it says that the distance from the inner side of the neck pocket to the trem cavity is 7.313in (185.13mm)
Dimensions St_2.jpg
That is also similar to what I measure here! (with 2 extra mm for the Floyd Rose)
Dimensions_2.jpg

Another significant detail is that the Stratocaster pickguard perfectly matches the neck pocket, pickups cavities, and bridge position

What has gone wrong then? 🧐

It is too late here, and I am already saturated. I will try to figure out the math tomorrow.

Last edited:
Inches
Here is the position of the Floyd Rose. Pay particular note to the distance is to the clearance of the leading edge of the recess rout not the position of the studs.
A quick reference for the neck position in relation to the body is; the 16th fret is 1~2mm in front of the neck pocket front edge. Now assuming the body is the right length and it should work out if the neck is indeed 25.5" scale. Also remember the actual intonation will be behind the theoretical 'correct' spot. in an ideal world the measurement should fall in the first third of the adjustment in the saddles.

It actually looks OK use the diagram I linked and see where it puts the studs. I would guess pretty much in the expected spot.

It actually looks OK use the diagram I linked and see where it puts the studs. I would guess pretty much in the expected spot.

That diagram indicates that the Floyd Rose routing should start at 24.78 in (629.4mm) from the nutFloydRoserouting.png

That falls inside the pickup cavity!
That is what I have already noted here
Scale Length.jpg

Measure the distance from the last fret to the middle of the intonation point on your Fender and compare it.

I'm guessing that it will work but the saddles will be forward of the ideal on the plate but this is fairly common.

Nut to stud is 25.125 inches...if the studs fall to close to the top of the trem route material needs removed from neck heel or neck pocket...this has always worked for me on a 25.5 scale. Assuming your trem route is correct....which it looks to be. It should be close to the same on your RG.

Back
Top Bottom