Aliasing Tests Ver 2.0

Very interesting! Thank you For sharing Cliff.

Honestly, I was really concerned when I sold my Mark IV rig for the Axe-Fx a few years back but after seeing the level of support, communication and commitment to the customers, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.

The Axe-Fx II has blown me away, it is everything I dreamed of having all in 1 box.

With that said I have no doubt that some future version will benefit from these experiments, Cliff will discover some Quantum harmonic balancing that only a few could understand..... Or something like that :)

Seriously Thanks Man

I am a software guy, not hardware, so forgive me if my question is totally off base here, but:

You mentioned you used the Synth block within the Axe-FX to generate the source signal - would that not favour the Axe-FX in the tests as the clock speeds and processing rates are equivalent?

No

Interesting Cliff, but a quick question?

How does this relate to the real world where an electric guitar pickup has little of no hi freq info, especially how normally used running into a high gain preamp where one is usually careful about input freq range to avoid fizz even with tube amps etc?

What would the test look like if sweeping something lower like the frequency range of a typical magnetic guitar pickup?

Thanks!

The more distorted sound you have, the more clipping of the input waveform. Think of a nice sine wave from your guitar being converted to a more square like wave. The more square the wave, the more high frequency odd harmonics are present. That is why cliff probably chose such a high gain patch to do this test.

I own both a Axe II and a Kemper, I use them both and I think they are both amazing. I like them both so much I can't give one up for the other.
I don't know the tech behind this test but I do know what sounds good to me,
to me the difference in the sound of the test tone does not correlate to the sound quality of the the two units.
They both sound great just different.
At this level of gear why must one be better than the other, it does not serve either product.
I don't have the D model so I have nothing to say about it.
If the "K" model is not the Kemper then I read the post wrong.

I own both a Axe II and a Kemper, I use them both and I think they are both amazing. I like them both so much I can't give one up for the other.
to me the difference in the sound of the test tone does not correlate to the sound quality of the the two units.
At this level of gear why must one be better than the other, it does not serve either product.

I'm curious. Can you characterize the differences and how they complement one another?

Sure, but the harmonics present out of a gtr pup at 9K - 11K are very low in level if present at all, so I think the test should be run with highest fundamental and first few harmonics actually present from gtr pups as this would change the results to some degree (I have no clue as to how much etc, just curious)?

In other words, sine waves sweeping from 9K - 11K are not a typical input signal for a guitar amp modeler, and while useful for test purposes they are not a real-world test IMO.

The more distorted sound you have, the more clipping of the input waveform. Think of a nice sine wave from your guitar being converted to a more square like wave. The more square the wave, the more high frequency odd harmonics are present. That is why cliff probably chose such a high gain patch to do this test.

I have the D Model and an Axe Ultra, love both, but still prefer tubes to either (worts and all).

Haven't tried a K model yet, but have heard good sounding clips etc.

LOL
Might has well say it begins with a "D" ends with an "N" and has "IGIDESIG" in the middle :D

Anyway should we use a hicut filter after 10k to remove those aliasing that begins after it?

well like in Chicago, a certain coach whose name starts with d, ends with a and has a middle itk (old quote from superfans SNL show) daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bears; I digress of course

Sure, but the harmonics present out of a gtr pup at 9K - 11K are very low in level if present at all, so I think the test should be run with highest fundamental and first few harmonics actually present from gtr pups as this would change the results to some degree (I have no clue as to how much etc, just curious)?

In other words, sine waves sweeping from 9K - 11K are not a typical input signal for a guitar amp modeler, and while useful for test purposes they are not a real-world test IMO.

Did you listen to the clip Cliff posted of an actual guitar playing single notes high on the fretboard? The aliasing is clearly audible.

Interesting info. Btw, the purpose of this thread is to show how well the Axe FX II performs in that aspect or to bash Kemper? :?

[edit: I have been informed that you can indeed turn off the cabinets in Brand L now. I still can't figure out how but once I do I will try to repeat this test on that modeler and update the results.]

Go into the amp block and in the cab selection screen, turn the knob until "No Cab" is selected. I am very curious to see how Lin...I mean, brand L performs.

Hi Adam, no I'm afraid I haven't heard that clip, and in all honesty I'm not disagreeing with FAS about the relative levels of aliasing at all, just pointing out that the 9K - 11K sweep test is not a real-world test, that's all.

Personally I haven't heard Brand K in person so I don't have a legitimate opinion regarding it's sound quality other than via the compressed clips on the web (I do have Brands F and D though).

Did you listen to the clip Cliff posted of an actual guitar playing single notes high on the fretboard? The aliasing is clearly audible.

Interesting info. Btw, the purpose of this thread is to show how well the Axe FX II performs in that aspect or to bash Kemper? :?
Cliff doesn't bash other companies, except Monster Cable and UPS (but they bash back), I believe? ;) Well, there might be one or two...

Did me a quick search:
Cliff said:
Fender just joined my ever-growing list of companies I will never purchase another product from (including Gibson, Monster Cable, Sony, et al).
It seems Cliff hardly has any suppliers left... :p

Back
Top Bottom