Bug? Aliasing bug

Poparad

Power User
I've been having this problem intermittently since I got my FM3 back on FW 3x. Currently on 6.0 and every now and then when I boot it up I get a garbled, aliased sound (see video). Rebooting it fixes it and it only happens once every 30 or 40 boots. Interestingly, the aliasing disappears around a high F# on the 14th fret of the high E string. If I bend it a little sharp to 750Hz, it completely disappears.

Last edited:
I think I've heard this sound before.
In my case my fm3 was connected via spdif to my audio interface and then monitoring from the interface back into the input 2 of the fm3.
I thought it was a bad cable but I think restarting the Fm3 it was fine.

Weird!

Just a wild guess, are you using digital I/O such as SPDIF? Maybe a clock issue?

Yeah....the description from both people sounds like it could be the word clock losing sync (or just not syncing externally).

The video does not sound at all like aliasing.

I definitely remember reading somewhere that the FM3 couldn't/wouldn't accept an external word clock (is it even possible with only digital outputs?). Since I don't want to use it as my clock master, that means I just don't use the digital outputs except occasionally for my Clarity M.

Nope, no spdif. The only thing I had hooked up in the video were the analog audio outs and some MIDI (Specular Tempus, MC6, Morninstar MIDI splitter and Disaster Area loop switcher). I have two FM3s and only this one exhibits this issue. I don't recall the other one ever booting to garbled audio.

Nope, no spdif. The only thing I had hooked up in the video were the analog audio outs and some MIDI (Specular Tempus, MC6, Morninstar MIDI splitter and Disaster Area loop switcher). I have two FM3s and only this one exhibits this issue. I don't recall the other one ever booting to garbled audio.
That is weird.

At this point, I hope you (and the forum/admins) figure it out just because I'm curious.

Back
Top Bottom