Alexi Laiho/Children Of Bodom Tone [LeeJackson GP-1000] - w/PATCH!

ProgressiveRocco

Power User
I've always loved Alexi's tone, especially on the first COB albums! He used to use a modded Lee Jackson Perfect Connection GP-1000 pre amp, and he managed to get a very distinctive sound out of it, ultra tight but full and organic at the same time, here's my take on it! I used the ENGL Severe model (seems like an odd choice, but that's the closest to my ears) with a pair of cabs from an old free cab pack by Clark Kent(awesome stuff), I'm posting those as well just in case! all the guitars are recorded by me using my chapman ML1 bea, tuning is D standard!

Attachments

• Alexi Laiho[LeeJackson GP-1000].syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 347
  • TEH Beyerdynamic M201 A2.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 252
  • TEH Shure SM57 A5.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 241
Dude you rock! As always, top notch dialing in the tone and monster playing! Will be looking forward to giving this one a run this weekend! :encouragement:

oh yeah my thoughts exactly, I rarely listen to their newer albums but the stuff Alexi did back in the day was outstanding!

Old CoB is pure genius, and its mainly because its not "forced" music. You can tell theres a real internal "need" of making music...Shame its lost now.
About your tone: Well, I like it, but it is dull and lacks the harmonics only the gp1000 can deliver. In my opinion, if you want a sound like that, get that preamp. Or lets make Cliff model it. Just check shitty videos of it in youtube, even the most crappy setup has that "magic" that comes from the preamp. You can plug that preamp direct with an IR and it will sound great for those tones.

Old CoB is pure genius, and its mainly because its not "forced" music. You can tell theres a real internal "need" of making music...Shame its lost now.
About your tone: Well, I like it, but it is dull and lacks the harmonics only the gp1000 can deliver. In my opinion, if you want a sound like that, get that preamp. Or lets make Cliff model it. Just check shitty videos of it in youtube, even the most crappy setup has that "magic" that comes from the preamp. You can plug that preamp direct with an IR and it will sound great for those tones.

I get what you're saying, of course is never gonna sound 100% spot on, it's just impossible! having said that, I don't think anyone is expecting these tones to be 100% dead on, there's too many variables involved. What I like about the axe fx is that I can get close to about any tone I can think of, and I'm making these clips just to show that! this patch in particular was done in a couple of hours and I think it's a great starting point for anyone to tweak according to the guitar/pick/style used

I get what you're saying, of course is never gonna sound 100% spot on, it's just impossible! having said that, I don't think anyone is expecting these tones to be 100% dead on, there's too many variables involved. What I like about the axe fx is that I can get close to about any tone I can think of, and I'm making these clips just to show that! this patch in particular was done in a couple of hours and I think it's a great starting point for anyone to tweak according to the guitar/pick/style used

I agree, great work btw, I was not bringing your tone down, its just that... that preamp is so unique that i had to point how impossible it is to get that sound out of any other amp... Lots of modded marshall out there (the axe has tons) but for some reason that pre has some kind of magic...
Sry If I sound a lil rude, english is my third language and although I understand and can express ideas, I dont know how they "feel".

I agree, great work btw, I was not bringing your tone down, its just that... that preamp is so unique that i had to point how impossible it is to get that sound out of any other amp... Lots of modded marshall out there (the axe has tons) but for some reason that pre has some kind of magic...
Sry If I sound a lil rude, english is my third language and although I understand and can express ideas, I dont know how they "feel".

no worries man :)

Hi there,

Sorry for necro'ing this thread, but I just got an AXEFX II and I was hoping you could help me out if you're still active.

Back
Top Bottom