Alex Lifeson talks about "The Fractal"

Rich G.

Experienced
Can't believe I didn't see this around here before... maybe it was and I missed it.

Alex mentions "The Fractal" several times in this interview. Talks about using it to process his piezo sound. No real secrets given away though... just some good Fractal plugs.

Kinda funny that Matt may be asking the stars not to give away his secrets rather than the other way around...? ;)

Kinda funny that Matt may be asking the stars not to give away his secrets rather than the other way around...? ;)

As someone who would probably give out my patches to fans, I still understand why a band wouldn't.

There's so much more to getting a certain sound than a patch, and I'm not talking just technique. There are a ton of factors, and people being people will find a reason to be angry about their tone not being exactly like the artists when in reality they are using the wrong guitar, the wrong sound system, the wrong whatever.

ALEX - My main man - I, as a great many of you, have been studying his every note and nuance since around 1979 (in my case). I have to have had well over a thousand hours of scratching vinyl back then. I think I owned about 4 of the 2112 album (Wish we had iTunes back then) and a few copies of All the World's a Stage as well. What an inspiration to me he has been through my musical journey. THANKS ALEX!! Glad to have him as a fellow user of our wonderful black box. AKA "The Fractal"... High Five. (watch the fingers though)

For a Rush junkie who did my homework to All The World's a Stage blasting in my room for hours every night back in 1978, it's great to see AL raving about using the same gear I'm using to pursue my hobby.

It's interesting to hear him talking about limited fx availability in those days. The early rush tone has always been my favourite (up to around Grace under pressure), and, I guess done with what we'd now consider primitive technology - more evidence that so much is in the hands.

Last edited:
The early rush tone has always been my favourite (up to around Grace under pressure)...

HUGE fan of the tone from their first album. However, I really like the guitar tone from the new album too, it's like old Rush with a bit more gain. Alex's tone was a huge influence on my current tones for my band.

"The Fractal is amazing [...] and there are other doors that I haven't even opened..."

Like the amp and cab sims. He'll get there...

Cliff aught to be pretty proud if this endorsement (and I use that term in its uncommercial sense).

Back
Top Bottom