Alex Lifeson Rush 80´s sound on Ax8

I'm a big fan of Rush band. Alex Lifeson is a very eclectic guitarist with guitar sounds that have been changing over the years. In the 80s he even started to use the stratocaster with humbucker on the bridge. I was trying to get into the similar sound (I remember he used chorus / delays and Marshall). I had already tried the Jcm800 and some Plexis. But I ended up finding http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6056, I made some modifications and I converted it to Ax8 and I loved it. The preset uses the Marshall Brit Silver.
See if you like:

I know he used old JMPs pre-Moving Pictures. I thought he went to Hi-Watts for Moving Pictures. He was also into anything new so for me it's alway tough to tell except back in the old days when Marshall was the only choice. Loved his old tones.

Great tone and playing on the video!! It would've sounded good no matter which amp model you used.

I know he used old JMPs pre-Moving Pictures. I thought he went to Hi-Watts for Moving Pictures. He was also into anything new so for me it's alway tough to tell except back in the old days when Marshall was the only choice. Loved his old tones.

Great tone and playing on the video!! It would've sounded good no matter which amp model you used.

you're right about the Hiwatt, but I found some information that he also wore marshall at that time. and I confess that I still need to test Hiwatt more ..
what motivated me was also the fact that he was wearing a stratocaster. Look at the photo I found:
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
GuitarWorldNov1981.jpg

There's a great documentary that's only a few years old that chronicles the band. You'll enjoy it you haven't already seen it. I used to have this magazine when I was 11.

There's a great documentary that's only a few years old that chronicles the band. You'll enjoy it you haven't already seen it. I used to have this magazine when I was 11.

I'm a big fan of Rush, I always try to keep track of all the material about the band. For a long time guitar magazines are pretty much the only information we had about these fantastic musicians, equipment and licks.

I hear the space between notes on intro licks that a lot of players miss. Good job. Need a video of you doing this live with a band.

I'm glad you enjoyed it ... when I play live with the band I confess that it's harder to play right ..kkkk We did a live session last year, it did not look perfect .. but it was a lot of fun. (everything was recorded live, minus the keyboards I added later). Unfortunately I did not have Ax8 yet. (I confess that Ax8 has changed to the way I play) look how it was:

Sounds great. I wonder if you’d approach earlier era Working Man, Fly By Night, all of 2112 with the same preset?

When importing a preset with references to User Cab #79, etc. what cabinet IR should I select that's closest to what you are using?

Last edited:
Sounds great. I wonder if you’d approach earlier era Working Man, Fly By Night, all of 2112 with the same preset?

When importing a preset with references to User Cab #79, etc. what cabinet IR should I select that's closest to what you are using?

Good thing you liked it ... I think for the old records the sound should be a bit different ... I want to try to make presets for them too.

I think I saved the preset with my IR Cab. I'll check it later.

Back
Top Bottom