Alex Lifeson finally admits stealing the keys to the Fractal while tech Scotty naps

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Fractal Audio Systems - Artists using the Axe-Fx II Guitar Processor, Ultra, Axe-Fx, MFC-101

October 22, 2012 - Normally, when we ask an artist for a few words describing how they find using our products, we get exactly that: a few words. Alex Lifeson, however, really kicked it into overdrive on this one, so we wanted to give it all to you. (It's also true that we at Fractal have great admiration for his music, without which it is quite possible there would never have been an Axe-Fx in the first place!) Here's what he had to say about first kicking the tires and then really taking off in his new Fractal-powered rig:

Being a creature of habit, I avoided changing my FX gear line up on the last tour reasoning that if it ain't broke don't fix it. Well, that's fine for an old, crappy car you might want to squeeze another few thousand miles out of but I wanted to get more out of my gear than a shiny wax.

My tech, Scott Appleton, had been using the Fractal Audio AxeFX II and was encouraging me to give it a spin. He'd been behind the wheel for a couple of years with the Fractal gear and knowing how lazy I can sometimes be, took the initiative to pre-program the bulk of the songs we planned for the Clockwork Angels tour. He also used tone matching to create a gorgeous acoustic sound for the piezo installed in my Les Pauls, one that our FOH engineer, Brad Madix feels is one of the best live acoustic guitar sounds he's EVER heard...not bad from a Les Paul!

The quality of all the effects is superb. There is great depth and transparency, and excellent imaging that makes listening with in-ear monitoring a wonderful aural experience. The choices are limitless and it's fully loaded with all the options you'd ever need. Take it for a test drive, you won't be disappointed.

Das Awesome.

Alex Lifeson

Love to hear Alex speak about the Axe specifically. He's been such an effects hound for decades that getting his seal of approval is like being officially recognized by the UN as a sovereign nation of tone!!!!

There's not many guitar superstars missing anymore now. Angus Young cutting an album with the Friedman BE model would be nice though...8)

I think that we can all agree that for most of us Alex was Rock and Roll. For most of our teens we listened to the Albums with wonderment and pure shock really, whats a naked backside doin on an album cover, but I digress, hearing those tones of 2112 made me a fan forever. The cool story for me is that in High school I actually had guitar class all four years, by my second year, the teacher really couldn't teach us anything that we didn't know, so what we five did was go in the back room and teach each other rush tunes. We had YYZ, the trees, and all of moving pictures down. It was a great time with great memories, and I learned a lot those years.

Now to find out that one of our hero's is using the same tool, you have to ask yourself did you pick the tool because you thought maybe someday your hero might use one as well or that someday you will use a tool that is so transparently good that every hero that you have will own one someday. I think I use one because I know how good it is and yes everyone else gets it too.

Alex if you read this some day on the toilet with your Ipad or whatever you canadians use up there, thanks for making some great music and yes we'll leave Neil peart alone....Call me...

Fantastic!! Congratulations FAS!! Not the least bit surprising, considering the parties involved.

Keeping my fingers crossed Herrs Lifeson and Appleton share that piezo acoustic tone, so I can use it with my Lifeson LP :)
As am I as I have a Lifeson Les paul that Alex used on the clockwork angels recording before I bought it! Thing is gorgeous and the best sounding guitar my fingers ever touched! seriously hope he shares all his tones!!

Will be seeing him (them) in Alpharetta this Thursday night. Its all good......................................... WTG FAS

Back
Top Bottom