Alan Parsons on recording Dark Side Of The Moon

nikki-k

Experienced
Three page interview

Very cool interview.
An interesting thing to note is his take on recording guitars. I have been going on about this for quite some time, and have always preferred using similar methods in studios (though live I typically stick with a good old 57 for various reasons). It is also one of the reasons I do not care for the majority of guitar "cab" IRs out there. In the end, it is all about what you like :D

Fascinating, really fascinating. Never in a million years would I have picked Money as being recorded with a U87 (or 86).

I feel slightly validated by all this, I've always loved the sound of a tube condenser on a guitar cab, and some people look at me like I'm crazy but I don't care. (I think it smoothes out the occasional brittleness that the Steinberger can create.)

Favourite quote: "Parsons’ advice for going into the studio is to “do the processing at the front end,” focusing on the playing and composition of the music rather than the equipment."

Nice article, thanks for the heads- up. A pity that Parsons doesn't specify "low- end" a bit further, i.e. the frequencies he likes to boost or enhance from the console.

I knew there had to be a reason that my favorite Axe II patches I've created all use a Neumann... Just sounds sweeter.

well crap. I do the exact opposite of everything he said. No matter how much I think I know, it turns out I know nothing.

LOL, never mind. Allan Holdsworth apparently knows as little as you, because he does the exact opposite as well.

^^^ (@Manning) Exactly.

It is all artistic expression. For me, knowledge is simply another tool. When someone is able to provide some insight into their "headspace," I am like a kid in a candy store. I see someone else's ideas as "inspirational springboards." "Inspirational Fireworks." Sometimes they are seemingly duds, only to spark that little lightbulb at some point in the future. And sometimes, it is only upon reflection.. and sometimes eons later.. that the realization of what contributed to that bit of brilliance was "this" and "that."

And these things may not always be directly related to the field of application. It could be a shared moment of awe while stargazing.. and pop! There goes that lightbulb. And another.. And another.. :D

Adding to Nikki's point - there is no "right" way.

After all, everything about Miles Davis's trumpet playing was wrong, except for the result, which was perfect.

Adding to Nikki's point - there is no "right" way.

After all, everything about Miles Davis's trumpet playing was wrong, except for the result, which was perfect.
Must be "Quote Manning Day" :D

Compare minimalist Davis with the more.. note happy.. Coltrane. No "right" way, only expression. :D

Three page interview

Very cool interview.
An interesting thing to note is his take on recording guitars. I have been going on about this for quite some time, and have always preferred using similar methods in studios (though live I typically stick with a good old 57 for various reasons). It is also one of the reasons I do not care for the majority of guitar "cab" IRs out there. In the end, it is all about what you like :D

Awesome. Very informative. Condensers at a foot or more in the studio on guitars. WOW!

I have always despised dynamic mics on guitar cabs. AKG2050 is my go to, but with an omni pattern and a little closer (can't afford Neumann :cry). I'm in good company on the condenser thing. Even on the AXE I use the Neumann U87.

Thanks for sharing that.

Back
Top Bottom