Wish AKG-BX20/BX-5 Spring reverb

Crl

Hello!

I have been using my AXF III for a few years now, and I absolutely love it, but I can't get the sounds I'm after from the spring reverb.
It sounds to my ears a bit harsh on the high end. Maybe it's just lack of skill on my part. I have tried to pass the output of the reverb through an amp cabinet to warm it up a bit, thinking it was probably conceived to emulate the built in reverb tank in an classic amp, and it sounds better, but in comparison, the BX-20 emulation by UAD runs circles around the built in spring reverb to emulate those lush springs. I know it's an unfair comparison (afaik it contains a tank with many springs), but Iwas hoping it might be possible to harness the power of the AFX to bring the BX-20 and being able to use it live.
I also love the sound of Demeter spring reverb, and maybe it would be easier to get a sample to emulate. This would already be a huge step forward imo.
I also own an Orban spring reverb that sounds amazing when I squeeze it in my AXE FX presets that I would love to use live (it's a bit too fragile to move it around, so I can only use it in the studio, although I know this is a bit more of a niche sound).
I know this is probably too much to ask, but a man can dream. I'm sure I'm not the only spring reverb junkie in the fractal community, and if I am, it's most likely because people don't know yet that they need it :D

Thanks again for creating this amazing unit! I was a bit reluctant to get one, but it's definitely the best purchase I've made in years!

Last edited:
I have Universal Audio's BX-20, and it's amazing. It also requires a ton of DSP resources and takes up to 2 seconds to set up new parameter settings. I'd love to have it in the Axe, if it could be efficiently implemented.

I have Universal Audio's BX-20, and it's amazing. It also requires a ton of DSP resources and takes up to 2 seconds to set up new parameter settings. I'd love to have it in the Axe, if it could be efficiently implemented.
2 seconds? It's not my experience at all. Are you sure that isn't caused by a very long buffer size?

In any case, there are many approaches to modeling, and judging by the great results Fractal audio has achieved, both in terms of accuracy and efficiency, it's totally within the realm of possibility.

But now I'm a bit curious if there are many people using external spring reverbs on their Fractal units...

Back
Top Bottom