AITR

Okay, but how do you use 1980 IRs in such a way that you need them on your FX3 at all times? I can understand owning that many, no problem. But in my own case I only use a handful, at best. The rest live on my Mac.
In theory it's fine that they're on your computer not the device, but in practice, that means
a) Being connected to and working with a computer a lot of the time. You may do that already, but not everyone does.
b) Spending time shuffling IRs onto and off of the device, for zero added benefit

A vote for absolutely not sacrificing User IR space for FullRes IRs. I was convinced the whole point of having a direct solution was that we could have a complete guitar sound that was ready to record/play live, rather than something that we then have to re-tweak or have an entirely different preset for in those circumstances. I understand it's new and exciting but I never understood the appeal of wanting to capture an AITR sound and I especially don't understand sacrificing things we currently have to make up for something that has already been acknowledged by many on here to be an inferior sound, for the sake of 'oh it sounds so real bro it's like you're really there'.

In theory it's fine that they're on your computer not the device, but in practice, that means
a) Being connected to and working with a computer a lot of the time. You may do that already, but not everyone does.
b) Spending time shuffling IRs onto and off of the device, for zero added benefit

While this argument is totally valid and understandable, you ARE connected and working with a computer when recording, right? And if you are, there's not much difference in workflow whether your IRs are stored on the computer or on the device itself. And if you're not recording, why would you change those IRs at all?

While this argument is totally valid and understandable, you ARE connected and working with a computer when recording, right? And if you are, there's not much difference in workflow whether your IRs are stored on the computer or on the device itself. And if you're not recording, why would you change those IRs at all?
"those IRs"? Meaning what? The IRs my presets use? I change or at least look for and try different IRs when I feel like it, whether I'm recording or not. Don't you?

I must not understand what you're saying.

I just find funny how suddenly nobody needs more than 12 User IRs and are perfectly comfortable with losing an entire bank when right before the launch of the AFX III Mk2 everybody and their mother absolutely needed much more than the 2000+ user IRs the MK1 currently supports.

I, for one, am absolutely OK with whatever Cliff chooses to do. In the end, he always figures the best solution possible.
To be fair many of the Axe-Fx 2 factory IRs weren't as consistent as current gen. I feel on my FM3 I can pick most IRs and it will work with most other IRs in a sensible way without needing to mess with levels and whatnot. There was a lot more of "you should get this and this IR pack from this vendor" stuff going on with the Axe-Fx 2 so users had more needs for user IRs and the mere 100 my Axe-Fx 2 Mk 1 had for user slots felt a bit tight. I don't know what I would do with 2000 or even 1000 user IRs.

On the Axe-Fx 2 I did not care at all about owning an Axe-Fx 2 XL as the added features weren't very relevant for me. If anything I would have liked the quieter fan but I MacGyvered my own solution by shock mounting the fan with rubber bands so it no longer resonated against the top cover. :D

Still a bit of a shame that the flagship Axe-Fx 3 got a revision that starts to separate the two versions featurewise.

There's no way your presets use 2000 IRs.
I guess if one has 2000+ presets and those presets don’t use any factory IR’s and you want a different IR for every present it’s possible, but it all and all seems a bit silly.....

gets to where how do you even have time to play if your having to audition that many cabs ?

ive bought like 20 different cab packs over the years and honestly never even unzipped half of them ? Why ? Because it’s simply so tedious to sit there and listed to hundreds if not thousands of IR’s.

choice is a good thing, but when there are so many choices I could never combine all the amp and cab combinations in a lifetime it kind of gets absurd, no?

they say that old rule of if you’ve never used something in a year you should throw it out, and I’ve got like 100,000 files sitting on my HD I’ve never touched, and am I suddenly going to spend months going through them ? Doubt it lol, so I could just delete all those and move forward with a handful of new ones which I can actually manage to try out as it’s a lot easier to learn 32 new cabs than 30,000

If I am following all of this correctly:

This will currently only be available on the Axe-Fx III Mark II.
On the Axe FXIII Mark II "The new FullRes User IR bank supports up to 64 FullRes IRs."

If we want them on the Axe FXIII Mark 1 (and it's possible) we'll have to give up a whole user bank of 1032 IRs for 32 Full Res IRs. (Hopefully this is a choice for the individual user.)

Q1: Where will people be able to get FullRes IRs from? Will they only be available from Fractal Audio, or will people like Austin Buddy, York Audio, Ownhammer, ML Sound, and Dr. Bonkers have them and sell them?

Q2: Is Fractal Audio going to be selling Full Res cab packs, or will they just be included in a new firmware updates for the Axe FXIII Mark II?

If I am following all of this correctly:

This will currently only be available on the Axe-Fx III Mark II.
On the Axe FXIII Mark II "The new FullRes User IR bank supports up to 64 FullRes IRs."

If we want them on the Axe FXIII Mark 1 (and it's possible) we'll have to give up a whole user bank of 1032 IRs for 32 Full Res IRs. (Hopefully this is a choice for the individual user.)

Q1: Where will people be able to get FullRes IRs from? Will they only be available from Fractal Audio, or will people like Austin Buddy, York Audio, Ownhammer, ML Sound, and Dr. Bonkers have them and sell them?

Q2: Is Fractal Audio going to be selling Full Res cab packs, or will they just be included in a new firmware updates for the Axe FXIII Mark II?
We will provide the 1330ms folders without any additional costs for existing customers in our complete portfolio. They will be ready for download when FW17 is ready to go.

I guess if one has 2000+ presets and those presets don’t use any factory IR’s and you want a different IR for every present it’s possible, but it all and all seems a bit silly.....

Can III even store 2000 presets? I think it's limited to 400 or something. You need like 5 IRs per preset to use 2000 cabs. Technically possible - you can have 8 IRs per preset.

Can III even store 2000 presets? I think it's limited to 400 or something. You need like 5 IRs per preset to use 2000 cabs. Technically possible - you can have 8 IRs per preset.

Mkl II has 1024 presets. There are 2 cabs with 4 channels each per preset = 8 possible IRs per preset.
1024 * 8 = 8192 IRs.
And that's not counting the IR Player(s).

Mkl II has 1024 presets. There are 2 cabs with 4 channels each per preset = 8 possible IRs per preset.
1024 * 8 = 8192 IRs.
And that's not counting the IR Player(s).

Yeah, but that's Mk II which doesn't have the problem we're discussing to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom