AITR

You can have your third party irs in the computer , the only thing is that removing them for the list …. they will dissapear in the preset .and to remember which one do you use etc etc . If the preset can memorize the Ir that are missing (just the name) it can be cool.

Personally no problem to remove bank 2. And I won’t die if we don’t have it . We have already reverbs and other controls to do that type of sound space, with more control .

Last edited:
2. The CPU usage is not too bad. A FullRes IR uses about 10% more CPU than a regular IR. I haven't done that much work on optimization so it may be possible to reduce this.
Is 10% relative to the CPU spent processing an UltraRes IR or relative to the full CPU capacity of the unit.

This might have been addressed, but is it feasible (and not a bear) that a setting be added that determines how the User2 bank functions? “Standard IR” mode and “FullRes” mode? This would seem to give folks on either side what they want.

Likely a case of easier said than done but thought it was worth mentioning.

This might have been addressed, but is it feasible (and not a bear) that a setting be added that determines how the User2 bank functions? “Standard IR” mode and “FullRes” mode? This would seem to give folks on either side what they want.

Likely a case of easier said than done but thought it was worth mentioning.
Cliff has said that's not a possibility. Don't have the post handy, and who knows what will happen in the future, but I'm sure he did say that.

Which is too bad.

I just find funny how suddenly nobody needs more than 12 User IRs and are perfectly comfortable with losing an entire bank when right before the launch of the AFX III Mk2 everybody and their mother absolutely needed much more than the 2000+ user IRs the MK1 currently supports.

I, for one, am absolutely OK with whatever Cliff chooses to do. In the end, he always figures the best solution possible.

Would be nice if two FullRes IRs were added to the stock ones, and a new factory preset was created, to demonstrate the use of FullRes.
That right there is what I was saying earlier….just leave it that way though…then we have both.

Would you care to share how exactly you are using all those slots?
It is my library that contain the IRs that I made in studio. It's my personal library.
From the beginning I was very happy to have 2048 user cabs space... I'm not interested to FullRes. Personally in "live-event" are non-sense, and for "studio-event" I use the Room Parameter o Block Reverb. So for my personal use 1,33s IR are superfluous. I wouldn't use it.
So I hope that if this Happens, Fractal can give to MK1 users the possibility of choose if renounce to User2 or not. ;-)

Do vendors have a vested interest in specific outcomes?
Depends on if the vendors have room mics already or not I'd wager.

If not, that's a cost to continue to remain competitive in the market.

In addition to room mics aren't 1:1 with close mics, so there will be a knowledge (quality) gap.

So my guess? Only the vendors that aren't familiar with this stuff, otherwise it's a whole new product line for each vendor to captilize on.

It is my library that contain the IRs that I made in studio. It's my personal library.
From the beginning I was very happy to have 2048 user cabs space... I'm not interested to FullRes. Personally in "live-event" are non-sense, and for "studio-event" I use the Room Parameter o Block Reverb. So for my personal use 1,33s IR are superfluous. I wouldn't use it.
So I hope that if this Happens, Fractal can give to MK1 users the possibility of choose if renounce to User2 or not. ;-)
Having loaded 2,048 IRs at the user slots cannot mean that you are actively using 2,048 IRs at your presets! I have 342,197 IRs at my hard drive, but I do not use more than 10 or 15 at my active presets.

If implemented, and you really want to keep 2,048 IRs loaded at the Axe-FX, you have two options: 1) do not apply that upgrade 2) Organize your presets and user IRs. The ideal way to do that would be using the "Export Preset + CAB bundle", to safely link the presets with the user IRs. I hope that it will be implemented soon at Axe-Edit.

Last edited:
Count my vote for nuking my empty Userbank 2 on the Mark 1.

I'd love to upgrade to the Mark 2 but rent is a thing. I could try to explain to my landlord that once I record with full res IRs my music career is sure to take off and I can pay him back but I don't think he'd see things the same way.

Having loaded 2,048 IRs at the user slots cannot mean that you are actively using 2,048 IRs at your presets! I have 342,197 IRs at my hard drive, but I do not use more than 10 or 15 at my active presets.

If implemented, and you really want to keep 2,048 IRs loaded at the Axe-FX, you have two options: 1) do not apply that upgrade 2) Organize your presets and user IRs. The ideal way to do that would be using the "Export Preset + CAB bundle", to safely link the presets with the user IRs. I hope that it will be implemented soon at Axe-Edit.
obvious. But this is my personal preference: Give to users the possibility to choose. it doesn't a heresy to me.
As Vendor: it's not my business. So I have no reservations and no preference.
but as User: Why do I have to renounce part of my library? When I can get the "amp-in-room"sound with Reverb Block or Room Parameter or Farfield IR?

Some answers:

1. This will currently only be available on the Axe-Fx III Mark II. Our other products do not have the NV memory to store the large IRs. I will look into ways of possibly supporting this on the other products. The Mark II has double the NV memory of the Mark I. All the NV memory on the Mark I is allocated. If the demand is great enough one possibility is to reduce the number of slots in the User IR banks and allocate the freed memory to FullRes slots.

2. The CPU usage is not too bad. A FullRes IR uses about 10% more CPU than a regular IR. I haven't done that much work on optimization so it may be possible to reduce this.

3. The primary use is for "room mics" and short-to-medium convolution reverbs. The two clips I posted were done using room mic IRs from Celestion. Those IRs were 500 ms.

4. I'm hoping IR vendors will embrace the technology and start offering room mic IRs with at least one second of response time. This assumes they use a suitable live room to do their captures.

5. We are going to our local studio in the coming months and will shoot a bunch of room IRs there. They have a very nice live room with good acoustics.

6. A new version of Cab-Lab is in the works that supports the creation of FullRes IRs.
Another whole hearted vote for reducing the number of user IR slots here.

I'm sure someone does, but I can't imagine using, not storing, USING 1024 slots. My user bank 2 is, has been, and will be empty.

I would definitely trade that excess capacity for the 32 FullRes slots.

obvious. But this is my personal preference: Give to users the possibility to choose. it doesn't a heresy to me.
It's been stated that giving users a choice isn't possible (for whatever technical reasons, as far as I recall).

Personally I don't see much use in AITR IRs either, but the unused IR space has annoyed me ever since I first got an Axe-FX. :)

As @FractalAudio wrote it, it’s 10% relative to the CPU spent processing current IRS. Cliff tends to be very precise when he’s talking about math. It’s an engineer thing.
Yes, it's an engineer thing, which is why I think the statement was not precise at all

Edit: I cannot tell whether "%" means percent or percentage points

Last edited:
One idea would be to just show the 32 parts occupied by a "FullRes" IR - i.e. like

User IR 1500:"MyRoomMic part 1",
User IR 1501:"MyRoomMic part 2", etc...

• Internally there would be metadata so that if the user selects any of the 32 parts, the system is aware that any of those slots refer to the "FullRes" IR.
  • Similarly, when deleting/clearing the slots, if you delete any of the 32 parts, the system (Axe-Edit, Axe-Fx, etc) would delete the whole group.
  • When uploading a FullRes IR and you selected a slot number that did not have the following empty 31 contiguous slots - it would tell you "You need 32 empty slots" or something like that
    • Alternatively, it would warn you as normal, that you you are replacing whatever is currently existing in those slots
  • If you are uploading a normal IR, and you select any of the 32 slots of an existing FullRes IR it would warn you "If you put a normal IR here, this will get rid of the other 32 corresponding slots"

This way then, you could mix the normal IRs and the FullRes IRs and put them wherever you want; the cab block/IR Player would still work on the same index based system as it does currently.

Last edited:
Okay, but how do you use 1980 IRs in such a way that you need them on your FX3 at all times? I can understand owning that many, no problem. But in my own case I only use a handful, at best. The rest live on my Mac.

Back
Top Bottom