AITR

Hooley but that sounds nice! Could that be achieved on the Mk1 with the far field IRs you kindly posted a while ago?
I doubt it. The IRs used in this clip are room mic IRs. They have lots of reflections. Far-field IRs have (ideally) no reflections.

I just read through 36 pages of "PLZ GIMME THIS NOW I"LL SACRIFICE ALL THE IR'S FOR THE NEW IR's", I don't think the question was ever asked from FAS lol.

Well done Cliff and co, those examples sounded phenomenal. I trust you guys to know best how to roll this out to Mk2/Mk1/FM9/FM3 users if possible. I'm a passive forum dweller but I've been watching FAS since the AxeFx Ultra days and you guys have always done what's feasible to get the goods out to everyone.

It's foolish, for a lack of a better word, to think that Fractal Audio doesn't play things close to the vest to maximize sells of each product line. If you've been around for any amount of time, you've watched it happen about ten times now. Zero heads-up for anyone interested in a purchase, and no continuity in release dates keeps everyone purchasing all the way up until the essentially the day before a new product is released. For them to release any details about anything would stall purchases until the release of the new product. You see it all the time with cell phones, televisions, gaming systems, computer parts, vehicles, etc. The list goes on. And every item on that list has a lead up and anticipation factor associated with it before it's release. That's their business model, and they can afford it as they're generally multi-billion dollar companies. Fractal Audio, not so much, but I still imagine doing well.

So yes, I am miffed the that I had no head ups on a back up unit I bought, paid the same price for it, and the updated version was released a month and a week later. There was no research I could have done to prevent this either.

That's what I'm saying. So don't turn it into something negative please. I'm a huge Fractal supporter, and I'm willing to bet I've sold more units to the musicians in my area than this forum has through the years.
This is par for the course mate, you got what you paid for. You're gonna get firmware updates for years and years and years to come. I just picked up the FM3 and then the FM9 dropped, big deal, what I got is what I wanted at the time. You can play the never ending "I'll wait for something better to come out game" and not buy anything. The fact that they support their models for 5-10+ years is utterly insane in todays consumeristic market. I get what you're saying but you've even described it in your own post, it is what it is and it's the way to do business really.

It would be nice to chuck a 1-2 week announcement buffer, but then the person who orders it 2 weeks and 1 day is annoyed... So you put a 4 week buffer and the person who ordered it 4 weeks and 1 day is annoyed. It's much of a muchness, it can happen at anytime on any purchase.

I personally picked up the AxeFX2 on preorder cause I was looking at grabbing the Ultra for a few years. Had that up until a few months back when I got the FM3. As much as I want an AxeFx3 I know i'm sorted for the current stage. When/If a Axe4 comes out I'll be chucking a preorder down as it'll be a nice jump.

Yes. The two IR Player blocks have been combined into a single, stereo IR Player block with individual level and pan and a mix control.

Would this break my presets with two separate IRP blocks, especially if in series (e.g. cab IR -> TM IR)

I just read through 36 pages of "PLZ GIMME THIS NOW I"LL SACRIFICE ALL THE IR'S FOR THE NEW IR's", I don't think the question was ever asked from FAS lol.
Some answers:

1. This will currently only be available on the Axe-Fx III Mark II. Our other products do not have the NV memory to store the large IRs. I will look into ways of possibly supporting this on the other products. The Mark II has double the NV memory of the Mark I. All the NV memory on the Mark I is allocated. If the demand is great enough one possibility is to reduce the number of slots in the User IR banks and allocate the freed memory to FullRes slots.

2. The CPU usage is not too bad. A FullRes IR uses about 10% more CPU than a regular IR. I haven't done that much work on optimization so it may be possible to reduce this.

3. The primary use is for "room mics" and short-to-medium convolution reverbs. The two clips I posted were done using room mic IRs from Celestion. Those IRs were 500 ms.

4. I'm hoping IR vendors will embrace the technology and start offering room mic IRs with at least one second of response time. This assumes they use a suitable live room to do their captures.

5. We are going to our local studio in the coming months and will shoot a bunch of room IRs there. They have a very nice live room with good acoustics.

6. A new version of Cab-Lab is in the works that supports the creation of FullRes IRs.

Fair, I missed the last line of point 1. I just soaked it in as FAS will do what they can.

Would be simpler to chuck up a poll than clog up 30+ pages of a thread with nuggets of great info, but point taken.

In your stated case ..... no

Fractal have made it very clear that these are not "made" / "designed" for live use - unless you will want or prefer the sound of a baked-in room in your IR playing into a real room with its own different real room reflections ie: IR with room reflections played into a real room with with its own totally different real room reflections (!) As I've said before, would you ever [live] mic up a FRFR Cab that was already playing back an IR with the mic baked in [ as they all are ] (?)

For I.E on stage Monitoring I can see a use whilst feeding your normal IR sound to FOH.

For home recording and bedroom-level and headphone playing I can also see a use.

And as a very general principle "more options" always give you "more options" :)

All the best,
Ben
But, but... somebody's bet a dollar that it will be used live ;)

Thanks Yek.

"one possibility is to reduce the number of slots in the User IR banks and allocate the freed memory to FullRes slots."
"Normal IRs are 2K. FullRes IRs are 32 times larger so an entire bank would provide 32 FullRes slots."

I'd be perfectly happy with that.

I just read through 36 pages of "PLZ GIMME THIS NOW I"LL SACRIFICE ALL THE IR'S FOR THE NEW IR's"

mah... personally I don't want to sacrifice my user cabs. At the moment I’m using 1980 slots for my personal ir library. So For me is important the “User2”.
Furthermore to simulate the amp-in-the room I simply use the “room parameter of cab block” or the reverb block.
All the NV memory on the Mark I is allocated. If the demand is great enough one possibility is to reduce the number of slots in the User IR banks and allocate the freed memory to FullRes slots.
if that happens I hope that Fractal grant the possibility to users to choose if reduce or not the user cabs.

Alrighty then, here's my 2c

I personally only use about 12 User IRs, I just picked out my favourite pairs for six different styles of music, and if I need something more there are SOOO many excellent Factory IRs to choose from!!

. . . maybe some would have preferred if it had just been 4 "user" banks anyway, with deletable factory IRs 🤷‍♂️, first thing I did was delete the factory presets anyway :p

I know many of us will love the new FullRes tech, that's great!! ✨✨
IMHO the longer IRs don't sound how I want to sound, and from an older thread https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ir-length.155295/, I learnt how to tighten my guitar sound via shortening the IRs which this feature is the opposite to. . .?

Would be nice if two FullRes IRs were added to the stock ones, and a new factory preset was created, to demonstrate the use of FullRes.

If there's no more room in the factory slots that would mean deleting 64 cabs IIRC.

I think it will be something similar to when Ultrares tech was released: a couple of loose IRs packaged in the firmware compressed archive.

I might be super wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom