AITR

How will the scratchpad slots work? I believe there are only 4 of them, not enough for even one fullres IR. Will scratchpad not be an option for fullres?

I started reading this thread elsewhere and when I got home and listened to the actual sound-clips, I thought 'Aha!'
Regardless of whether or not I would use this feature, it sounds impressive.

You guys who've done lots of recording with real mics and so forth....
Is this sound always something that's been present on our favourite records to a greater or lesser degree or is it something that's deliberately added in by the producer?
Are there any famous albums you can name where you consider the 'amp in the room' sound very important to he overall mix/feel and/or where you consider it to be quite prominent? [So I can find them and listen carefully].

Just trying to get an understanding of this.

Thanks.

I started reading this thread elsewhere and when I got home and listened to the actual sound-clips, I thought 'Aha!'

Is this sound always something that's been present on our favourite records to a greater or lesser degree or is it something that's deliberately added in by the producer?
Are there any famous albums you can name where you consider the 'amp in the room' sound very important to he overall mix/feel and/or where you consider it to be quite prominent? [So I can find them and listen carefully].

Thanks.

Thanks.
In records from 50s to 70s you'll find a lot of examples, going to 80s and forward not so much probably..

Some time ago I read an Alan Parsons interview where he said he never uses close mics, he always places it at least 1ft away

EDIT: here is the interview https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pr...n-parsons-on-dark-side-of-the-moon-2651075527

Is this sound always something that's been present on our favourite records

always. here's a perfect example of both, it starts off just close mic, but when it kicks off, the room mics on the guitar cab get added in. producers do it deliberately but they usually try to do it tricky where you don't notice a huge difference

here's an example of basically 100% room guitar tone that's not a live recording

Is it meant for recording though?

The problem here is that if you want to use a reverb to glue instruments together, it's better to use the same reverb for all of them, IMO - that will kind of create an impression that they are in the same space.

With this reverb hardcoded into an IR, how do you achieve that? It'll be from some room where you can't do anything else, you don't even know where it is. And you can't add reverb to signal already containing reverb, I'm afraid. Neither can you adjust the mix to lower reverb level. Or length. Or anything.

Guess that's the whole point of close micing - to get rid of room influence and add it during mixing.

I think @sprint made a similar point in a post I can't find, but I'm having a but of trouble getting my head around this too. I think of:

• IRs for capturing the tone and feel of the cab, and
  • Verbs for capturing the ambience of a space.

This seems to be a little of both, and as a result I can't figure out where I would want it in anything other than a super-simple effects chain. If I'm following correctly, this is why some folks are suggesting using this IR in a different downstream block as a standalone ambience effect.

Other than the off-topic stuff, there is a lot of interesting conversation here - I particularly appreciate the cab and IR experts (@York Audio , @dr bonkers , @Valhallir ) being willing to share their insights in a thread where a few owners have their hackles up.

I think of:

• IRs for capturing the tone and feel of the cab, and
  • Verbs for capturing the ambience of a space

you can use a fullres for a small verb after a regular IR, that's close mic and room mic mixed, or you can just use room mic as the IR itself, without needing a close mic. the further away you get from source the more you get the sound of the cab bouncing off the space. with fullres, if you capture the IR loud enough, you'll even get room information from behind a close mic. you can basically use fullres for any of it, 1.3 seconds. I can't wait to hear a fullres close mic with a fullres room behind it, don't even need to guess how good that is going to sound

Yes. The two IR Player blocks have been combined into a single, stereo IR Player block with individual level and pan and a mix control.
Awesome. Looking forward to it.

Would it be too much to ask to get you to throw in some low and high cut parameters, and a simple three band EQ in the IR Player as well?

Although this sounds pretty cool and would likely be more fun to play when just practicing in the recording studio, I'd likely rarely use them in a mix.

I've never sought out that "amp in the room" thing because that is not going to happen when you are comparing playing live through a 4x12 cab (or whatever) to playing through 6" nearfields using an IR of a close mic'd cab. They are just completely different things... finished tone for an album (burned in mics/speakers) coming through nearfields or your actual ear hearing all the details of a room while standing in front of a cab (no mics).

I surely look forward to checking this out, though and much appreciate the advance in tech.

Back
Top Bottom