AITR

How is this only for recording and not for live use?
You can use it however it works for you, but Cliff himself said what it was designed for.
It emulates room reflections in the IR. So the question for live users is: why would you want to have the reflections of a different room in your live sound?

How are you folks SO enthusiastic about this new format you've barely heard and have never played through?

Shiny shiny?
Well Cliff did not invent here longer IRs or Convolution Reverb etc...this is stuff we know off and use since many many years in Studios, DAWs etc. It's just being added on Axe Fx 3 and it is a great feature.

will IR capture be able to capture fullres? with QC running some mics and any speaker system to play the sweep from the other side of the room it would be awesome to capture your own playing space

FM3 user here - would gladly sacrifice several user slots in favor of FullRes IRs.
Not likely to happen for a variety of reasons
first it is using 10% more CPU on the big axe
second the FM series do not have NVM from my understanding
3 you need more than one cab block
4 the FM series cab block runs on an accelerator different from the 3

If User Cab 2 went away would Axe Edit automatically move my User 2 iR’s to unused slots and update my impacted presets accordingly? I have sone IR’s and presets that would be impacted.

After thinking on this for a couple days I don’t know that I’d get as much use out of AITR for mixing in some room sound. And while I do have some impulse responses taken from Lecicon/Bricasti I really could be using them now and I’m not. I considered getting a Poly Effects Digit just for convolution reverb.

I’m on the fence now about giving up a whole bank for just 32 rooms or reverbs.

You can use it however it works for you, but Cliff himself said what it was designed for.
It emulates room reflections in the IR. So the question for live users is: why would you want to have the reflections of a different room in your live sound?

If you want your band to sound on stage like it was recorded on studio, you may want to use the same room reflections that were used for each individual instrument. The venue would add its own reflections to the overall mix, but the source (from the PA) would be like if you were playing the CD.

Okay, just to be clear, this is what the mk1 has:

Speaker Cabs Galore

The Axe-Fx III features our exclusive, proprietary UltraRes™ speaker simulations with over 2200 factory impulse responses (IRs) to choose from including all the IRs from the Axe-Fx II in a convenient “legacy bank” for easy migration. The redesigned Cabinet block features a 4-channel mixer based on our popular Cab-Lab™ software, providing the capability to mix and remix IRs on-the-fly as you would with real mics on a speaker cabinet. Factory content includes selections from the best of today’s IR producers and artists, including Fractal Audio, AustinBuddy, Celestion, ML Sound Lab, Ownhammer, Chris Broderick, John Petrucci, Chris Traynor & James Santiago, Valhallir, York Audio, Dr. Bonkers, and more. An additional 2,048 “User Cab” memories allow you to load Cab Packs (including any of those compatible with the Axe-Fx II) or 3rd party IRs, and a built-in utility allows you to capture and save your own speaker tones (now with 16 “Scratch Pad” locations!) Our celebrated Tone Matching block is also improved, now with the impressive ability to clone the tone of an amp or recording in UltraRes™.

2200 cabs: the legacy cabs and 2048 cabs with plenty by the biggest names in the fractal ir ecosystem.
Plus 2048 user cabs….
I ‘ve got to say, having 1024 user cabs and 2200 cabs baked in…is still an insane amount of cabs.
Maybe I’m not understanding all uses and I apologize if I’m missing something, but it seems like a good compromise to give up half the user cabs. I can’t believe, and again maybe I’m wrong, but other than filling up memory with somebody’s library, who needs it? Is there one player who needs more than 3,224 ultra res cabs in their axe?

Back
Top Bottom