AITR

I m joking /trolling most of the time , I don’t have tried everything yet on the unit and I use it daily . I know it’s already a huge piece of gear even if everything stops now. But yeah one year after 😬. … you own one since a few month if I m not wrong, maybe you understand a little bit what I mean .

I personally would welcome this as a solution. No whining, just the opinion of someone who doesn't use a lot third party IRs and and would love to have the FullRes functionality.
TBH, it's really hard for me to judge how important this would be for me without hearing direct comparisons, or ideally, playing through both.

I personally don't use IEMs, and I'm not in headphones, and if I'm recording, I'm not dependent on the Axe for spacial placement.

Is this still important to me? Is it worth trading half my user cab storage for 32 new-gen IRs I've never heard, and that aren't available yet from anyone?

DO NOT think I'm ragging on Cliff or Fractal! I have enormous respect and gratitude for what they've created here. I'm simply asking the logical questions as they apply to me.

I m joking /trolling most of the time , I don’t have tried everything yet on the unit and I use it daily . I know it’s already a huge piece of gear even if everything stops now. But yeah one year after 😬. … you own one since a few month if I m not wrong, maybe you understand a little bit what I mean .
I do, but my attitude towards progress remains as I stated. Going on 9 months now. And I happened to buy in at a good time in the development cycle, but I wasn't the least bit concerned about it either.
I'm just thrilled at what it can do, and as I've stated elsewhere, if it never received another update, I wouldn't care. It would take something absolutely massive for me to want to upgrade. I've proven that to myself in that I keep things a long long time before I buy something to replace them.
We have definitely become a society that feels they need the latest/greatest new gizmo. I'm not that guy. (Costs too much damn money.)

I do, but my attitude towards progress remains as I stated. Going on 9 months now. And I happened to buy in at a good time in the development cycle, but I wasn't the least bit concerned about it either.
I'm just thrilled at what it can do, and as I've stated elsewhere, if it never received another update, I wouldn't care. It would take something absolutely massive for me to want to upgrade. I've proven that to myself in that I keep things a long long time before I buy something to replace them.
We have definitely become a society that feels they need the latest/greatest new gizmo. I'm not that guy. (Costs too much damn money.)
I am that guy 😬

But I thought UltraRes IR's are 8K samples or about 170 ms long. Is there some kind of file compression or other trickery that allows for all that extra sample data to be stored in the same slots as 2K long IRs? Ancient Chinese secret perhaps?
At a wild guess FFT, or fast fourier transform, taking the time based data into the frequency/phase domain (and vice versa) with much higher efficiency than a "simple" full fat fourier transform. It's pretty much the basis of IR technology, and much more mathematically sound than most data compression techniques.

Ancient German secret of CF Gauss (proper dude of the highest acclaim), in 1805, but capitalised on in the USA by Cooley and Tukey from IBM in the USA in 1965. (I just had to Google the history, because much of the mind blowing digital stuff came from Bell Labs around the same period). Our digital lives are incredibly dependent on the work of Lagrange, Euler and Fourier. I wish they could have heard what it sounds like for audio, or looks like for images/video. They did the maths about 1-2 centuries before anyone figured out just how powerful it could be (possible exception of Euler, he held quite a bit of the world up for the last 200 years too.)

Liam

@FractalAudio
Question: If FullRes IRs are implemented on MK I with the 1024 User IRs replaced with 32 FullRes IRs, does it eliminate the possibility of additional speaker impedance curve (factory or user banks, whichever) to MK I?
Are there any other tradeoffs where other possible functionality will no longer be implemented on MK I by FullRes update?

I voted for having FullRes to MK I in my previous post, but for me user speaker impedance curve (,for which I believe many expressed wishes,) has the higher priority to be honest. SIC enhancement can improve the experience in both home/studio/live use, whereas FullRes is only for home/studio.
If FullRes update on MK I sacrifices the possibility of added factory/user speaker impedance curve, then I wanna skip the FullRes.

Looks like enthusiasm is going on here, but this tradeoff is one thing MK I users should consider before voting whether to have FullRes, I think.

Cliff,
If we get rid of the 2nd user bank in favor of the full res IRs, and then the usefulness of them subsides like sometimes happens with new stuff….can we go back? Just curious….thanks.

That would be a nightmare. It would break the factory presets and many of the user's presets.

The only possibility would be to change the User 2 bank to a User FR bank. So you would give up 1024 User IR slots in exchange for 32 FullRes user slots.
So let it be written....

Hey Cliff, regarding my earlier post about me thinking FullRes will come to MkI.....don't hit me if you think I'm speaking for ya! I just know that Fractal likes to make its customers happy :)

This sounds awesome! If you can accommodate a mark I user I’ll gladly take it for my studio use.

Back
Top Bottom