AITR

I'd gladly sacrifice 1024 user slots for 32 FullRes ones, but in doing so I think this is an excellent idea that should be considered:

Maybe reduce both banks to 512 so the user address space still has User1 and User2, or make that an option alongside just dropping User2. For a while, until my unit got more IRs added, I was using User1 for IRs that came with presets I had downloaded or purchased and User2 for IRs I personally shot, or mixed from purchased IRs via CabLab or MixIR in Logic. It is handy to have two User banks, so an option to reduce size of both instead if just dropping one would be cool for people using the two banks as a sorting method....

The day before yesterday, everyone's units included more features, and better performance, than what they originally bought. And now today, that hasn't changed. Heck, for most products we buy, if you want new features, you have to buy a new one, and take a pretty substantial loss on selling the older one. Neither is true of Fractal Audio's products. This thread reminds me of the Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard.
But when you spent +2k last year you can understand that some people are grinding teeth believing they don’t need another purchase for a long time .
thats internet then . When I play a 45 minutes dream theater song , there is always someone saying that you do a mistake at 12.54 😅, that’s internet power lol . I m vaccinated about it

The perils of being so close and accessible to your customers, I'm afraid.

Yup.

That said, I'm close to a lot of people, but temper my words and thoughts and make daily attempts
to embody and exhibit grace and gratitude when it is warranted, and seven sometimes
when it is not.

This is far from being on Fractal and Cliff. Not that you were saying that. :)

Given this same thing happens every time I’m pretty sure he’s gotten used to it lol

I mean remember back when the original II wasn’t getting anymore updates and only the II XL was getting the wah block updates etc ?

people were up in arms and then we got rid of the feature where you could select the modeling version and the II got updates again but then people said they needed the option to change preamp modeling versions so then those folks weren’t happy, so on and so forth.....

Cliff knows this business and human nature as well as he knows modeling

Yup. Pretty sure that doesn't mean he enjopys the whining and pissing and moaning, though.

#customerisnotalwayssright :)

I know it may not mean much but I'll say it anyway. @FractalAudio has done nothing but continue to show his passion and dedication to his products and customers, giving away features, enhancements and innovations. Fractal has far and away the best customer support and commitment to ensuring all of their products receive the latest innovations and enhancements, even adding some to discontinued devices.

Gratitude goes a long way to ensuring a future of further generosity. Despite the philosophy that's becoming quite rampant today, we are not "entitled" to anything, nor do we "deserve" anything. To have Cliff say that the "whining...is off putting" shows that he does care what his customers say. Perhaps take a breath and a step back and let him do what he's been doing consistently for the 15+ years: work at his passion for developing the best modeler on the market and sharing his passion with his customers.

I never used more than about 10 IR for my regular patches. Interested to read the professional users opinions on this (studios, guitarists).
that's what it really comes down to in reality, isn't it. there even seem to be some well known users who just use 1 IR for every amp, no matter what cab the real counterpart would have ;) .
using up 1024 slots just for storage could in my opinion be easily done on a computer (I know, because I've got thousands and thousands stored on there myself ;) ).

that's what it really comes down to in reality, isn't it. there even seem to be some well known users who just use 1 IR for every amp, no matter what cab the real counterpart would have ;) .
using up 1024 slots just for storage could in my opinion be easily done on a computer (I know, because I've got thousands and thousands stored on there myself ;) ).
Yes but I can imagine some using the III as a kind of work station and have a max of selected IR on it all the time; that's why I asked this. Personnally - if I could now - I'd buy a second hand mark I with my eyes closed. I don't feel I need this feature that much in fact and see it more as " nice to have". But I'm effectively totally happy with my headphone sound "as is". Anyway just my 2 cts, and from whatc read above by FAS I deduct it will probably not be possible to be implemented in FM3 and so it is (no sweat !).

I don’t see why personal housekeeping routines / preferences should be a factor for the decision to be made.
Well, I don't see why it shouldn't be a factor since it's just a more convenient way of sorting IRs which wouldn't impact anyone's use, I think..

I know I'm in the minority, at least among the posters here, but I'd like this to controllable. I have a Bunch of user IRs loaded, not full to capacity, but lots, and I like that I can do that. I frequently end up using factory cabs anyway, but I like being able to check out the variety of cab offerings out there.

Maybe IR size doesn't even need to be configurable, it just works. Load either kind in, the Axe knows what what it is and can use it. Obviously it shouldn't let you load something where it doesn't fit.

After I hear and play through more if these, and more UltraRes packs are available, I might feel differently. But for now, I'm not unhappy with the ambience in the factory and commercial and free packs I have, in combination with the available reverbs and delays.

I'd hate to think that suddenly all existing IR packs are obsolete or inferior, to the point of being unusable. To put it differently, they clearly ARE useable, valuable even.

Also, as others have said, this is a prime illustration of why the ability to reorganize/reorder user IRs without breaking your presets would be so valuable. It's been talked about before, but I'm unaware of any progress in that direction.
Unfortunately, Cliff says this isn't possible.

Would it be possible to make that switchable in the system settings?
So technical reality trumps the wishes of us armchair product designer/wankers.
Oh well.

Some answers:

1. This will currently only be available on the Axe-Fx III Mark II. Our other products do not have the NV memory to store the large IRs. I will look into ways of possibly supporting this on the other products. The Mark II has double the NV memory of the Mark I. All the NV memory on the Mark I is allocated. If the demand is great enough one possibility is to reduce the number of slots in the User IR banks and allocate the freed memory to FullRes slots.

2. The CPU usage is not too bad. A FullRes IR uses about 10% more CPU than a regular IR. I haven't done that much work on optimization so it may be possible to reduce this.

3. The primary use is for "room mics" and short-to-medium convolution reverbs. The two clips I posted were done using room mic IRs from Celestion. Those IRs were 500 ms.

4. I'm hoping IR vendors will embrace the technology and start offering room mic IRs with at least one second of response time. This assumes they use a suitable live room to do their captures.

5. We are going to our local studio in the coming months and will shoot a bunch of room IRs there. They have a very nice live room with good acoustics.

6. A new version of Cab-Lab is in the works that supports the creation of FullRes IRs.
Yes please, I own two Mark 1 units now. Just picked up the second last year right before Mark II was announced. I can’t imagine having to replace already to accommodate your new wizardry. Thanks for all your efforts.

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

-Version 17 add a new Block “pickups selector”
100 models, officially licenced by 5 world famous brands (emg, di marzio, Seymour Duncan, bare knuckle, fishman) . Change your guitar pickup in one click !

- dual profiling ! Profile 2 heads at the same time, stereo profiles. Profile all The pedals, chorus flanger … even your cat !

-fas circuit board simulator ! Built your own amps with diodes and things you never understood your whole life !

-vocal block ! Now the axe can talk ! The hidden speaker in the box now told you when you play like a €&@“ !

etc etc

😅

I'd gladly sacrifice 1024 user slots for 32 FullRes ones, but in doing so I think this is an excellent idea that should be considered:

Considering Cliff already stated there's only one way to do this, which is to replace one whole user bank, it's probably moot at this point... but I don't think the two half-bank approach is a good idea as we'd then have to deal with user cab banks of varying sizes. What happens when loading a 1024-slot bank into a 512-slot one, for example?

For people who organized between the two banks, they can do the same thing organizing by cab slots... not really gaining much there imho.

Back
Top Bottom