AITR

Cliff has let it be known that he has something cool in mind for the MKII … and wait a minute – there may be a workaround that would let the MKI take advantage of this same new coolness! Cause for celebration, right?

No mention of the mk2 issue was made for quite a while. If that was known and disclosed at the same time, maybe the tenor of commentary would be different. As it was, you had elation, followed by dismay and then hope. This could have been by design.

Instead, some are grousing that they weren’t personally notified about Fractal’s private business plans. (As if it’s a huge revelation that Fractal might be working on things we don’t know about. (FM9, AXE-FX IV, etc.))

As I said earlier, this is the perils of being so close to your user base. Fractal could have kept this to themselves until they were ready to release it and said then what the terms were but they naturally wanted to create buzz, get the positive feedback, probably sell some units. I suspect also to beat Marc Gallo to market as well. All of those things are fine but the tradeoff is that of course some people who recently spent quite a lot of money are going to be disappointed that their earlier version of the same device isn't getting the goody after all when it looked like they were initially.

My money says that this is a planned series of events to trigger the elation, dismay, hope, gratitude responses. The same thing happened on the axefx ii.

I never used more than about 10 IR for my regular patches. Interested to read the professional users opinions on this (studios, guitarists).
I’m with you here, I don’t need many…the amount and quality to pick from in the box is sensational, but you can always load what you need….even in the studio the cab picker and axe-edit is really fine for previewing.

I wonder how long Cliff's excitement over revbealing a new feature lasted before it got torn to shreds
by requests, complaints, wishes, bickering, and bitching?

Looks like not even a day, eh? Maybe an hour. A really short hour. ;)

Not a critcism, just an observation.

I wonder how long Cliff's excitement over revbealing a new feature lasted before it got torn to shreds

Not a critcism, just an observation.

Given this same thing happens every time I’m pretty sure he’s gotten used to it lol

I mean remember back when the original II wasn’t getting anymore updates and only the II XL was getting the wah block updates etc ?

people were up in arms and then we got rid of the feature where you could select the modeling version and the II got updates again but then people said they needed the option to change preamp modeling versions so then those folks weren’t happy, so on and so forth.....

Cliff knows this business and human nature as well as he knows modeling

I'd be cool with the Axe-Fx III Mk I being reconfigured to support 1024 User IRs and 32 FullRes IRs. I haven't even come close to filling up even one User IR bank, personally.

And just for the record @FractalAudio , there might be a very small minority of people complaining that the Axe-Fx III wasn't designed in the future and then sent back in time to satisfy "future proofing" but I don't think there are very many people overall thinking that.

However, even if some people are thinking that way, I think that's just the Hedonic Treadmill talking. If you step back and consider the fact that the Axe-Fx III Mk I was designed to hold over two thousand rewritable User IR slots at launch, which is what allows for the current conversation about reconfiguring the second User bank to even be a possibility... that's as good as any future proofing could have been in my opinion, and is arguably more than sufficient.

32 FullRes IR slots is a lot. What's happening is that this number is being compared to the "thousands" of the Axe's baked-in IRs, so it might not seem like that much, but when you consider that these are infinitely rewritable IR slots, and that most people only find and stick with a couple dozen close-mic'd IRs AT MOST overall, I think 32 infinitely re-writable IR slots specifically devoted to the niche task of simulating room ambience (to be used alongside whatever IRs people use for "close mic" sounds) is more than enough.

What I'm saying is that the answer for these people is that the Axe-Fx III Mk I has been future proofed, and the fact that reconfiguration to accommodate the new tech is even a conversation is evidence of that.
@GreatGreen
Since I used the term "future proofing"(in a earlier post) I believe some of this is directed at me. (and maybe because of the way I worded my post) Only you can tell me that.

I totally agree if the Mark I can be reconfigured, I think that would be awesome!! (The rest of your post comes off very condescending) Hell other companies would charging. I know that, we all know that!
If it can't happen that's ok too, my 2019 Vehicle doesn't have the same goodies it's 2021 counterpart, my phone is a few generations behind also. And my computer (that does the heavy lifting) will most likely not be Windows 11 upgradeable. (maybe that's a mixed blessing)

So will I upgrade to get the new feature, if necessary. No.
Would I like it the new feature, of coarse!
Would I not upgrade to be spiteful with Fractal. No not at all.
Would I be disappointed? Sure! But pissed off at any particular party, in this case Fractal. No

mando-way-this-is-the-way.gif

Sadly, it seems to happen all the time.

Last edited:
It’s not hard to imagine Cliff thinking “No good deed goes unpunished.”

When the AFX III MKII was released, it was made explicitly clear that the MKII had additional memory to allow functionality that the MKI would not share.

Cliff has let it be known that he has something cool in mind for the MKII … and wait a minute – there may be a workaround that would let the MKI take advantage of this same new coolness! Cause for celebration, right?

Instead, some are grousing that they weren’t personally notified about Fractal’s private business plans. (As if it’s a huge revelation that Fractal might be working on things we don’t know about. (FM9, AXE-FX IV, etc.))

Since I first bought my Ultra years ago, it’s been pretty much a constant progression of win/win for the end user, and we’ve all benefited from that. It will be difficult to find anyone on the forum who can seriously present a cogent argument otherwise.

It’s almost a law that when you buy a new phone, computer, tablet, TV, etc., it seems like that’s when the announcement comes about a new, upgraded product you’d really like. Unless you’re oh, 12 or so, it’s happened to you enough times that you understand “that’s life, Jack.”

So, feel free to direct some anger and frustration my way, instead of trying to kill the Golden Goose. Give the guy a break, and show some gratitude. Sheesh.

Love this post. It's like getting served a meal from a Michelin star chef and then picking it apart.

I hate capers!!! ;)

The day before yesterday, everyone's units included more features, and better performance, than what they originally bought. And now today, that hasn't changed. Heck, for most products we buy, if you want new features, you have to buy a new one, and take a pretty substantial loss on selling the older one. Neither is true of Fractal Audio's products. This thread reminds me of the Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard.

I know it may not mean much but I'll say it anyway. @FractalAudio has done nothing but continue to show his passion and dedication to his products and customers, giving away features, enhancements and innovations. Fractal has far and away the best customer support and commitment to ensuring all of their products receive the latest innovations and enhancements, even adding some to discontinued devices.

Gratitude goes a long way to ensuring a future of further generosity. Despite the philosophy that's becoming quite rampant today, we are not "entitled" to anything, nor do we "deserve" anything. To have Cliff say that the "whining...is off putting" shows that he does care what his customers say. Perhaps take a breath and a step back and let him do what he's been doing consistently for the 15+ years: work at his passion for developing the best modeler on the market and sharing his passion with his customers.

Back
Top Bottom