AITR

. we were told since the inception of Fractal Audio wasn't needed for good IR's

Well, I guess that depends on the use case. For recording and live situations it isn't.

I actually don't get why you are that angry? Sorry, if I came across a bit rude trying to answer your question.

Well, I guess that depends of the use case. For recording and live situations it isn't.

I actually don't get why you are that angry? Sorry, if I came across a bit rude trying to answer your question.
I'm not angry lol

I'm just curious as to why this needs to be in the cab block, and things have to be given up to achieve it.

Here's a discussion from 12 years ago about this very thing, by one of, if not the most intelligent speaker experts in the history of mankind lol

Older Fractal Audio Discussion

Read reply #2, and you can see why I ask that this can't be added to the Reverb block, or made it's own block altogether. Not a nefarious or malicious question, just genuinely curious.

As a side note, go back through my post history. I help, help, help where I can. Full Fractal supporter, pusher, and user. But I will also question things I don't understand so that I will.

Normal IRs are 2K. FullRes IRs are 32 times larger so an entire bank would provide 32 FullRes slots.
I know I'm in the minority, at least among the posters here, but I'd like this to controllable. I have a Bunch of user IRs loaded, not full to capacity, but lots, and I like that I can do that. I frequently end up using factory cabs anyway, but I like being able to check out the variety of cab offerings out there.

Maybe IR size doesn't even need to be configurable, it just works. Load either kind in, the Axe knows what what it is and can use it. Obviously it shouldn't let you load something where it doesn't fit.

After I hear and play through more if these, and more UltraRes packs are available, I might feel differently. But for now, I'm not unhappy with the ambience in the factory and commercial and free packs I have, in combination with the available reverbs and delays.

I'd hate to think that suddenly all existing IR packs are obsolete or inferior, to the point of being unusable. To put it differently, they clearly ARE useable, valuable even.

Also, as others have said, this is a prime illustration of why the ability to reorganize/reorder user IRs without breaking your presets would be so valuable. It's been talked about before, but I'm unaware of any progress in that direction.

It’s not hard to imagine Cliff thinking “No good deed goes unpunished.”

When the AFX III MKII was released, it was made explicitly clear that the MKII had additional memory to allow functionality that the MKI would not share.

Cliff has let it be known that he has something cool in mind for the MKII … and wait a minute – there may be a workaround that would let the MKI take advantage of this same new coolness! Cause for celebration, right?

Instead, some are grousing that they weren’t personally notified about Fractal’s private business plans. (As if it’s a huge revelation that Fractal might be working on things we don’t know about. (FM9, AXE-FX IV, etc.))

Since I first bought my Ultra years ago, it’s been pretty much a constant progression of win/win for the end user, and we’ve all benefited from that. It will be difficult to find anyone on the forum who can seriously present a cogent argument otherwise.

It’s almost a law that when you buy a new phone, computer, tablet, TV, etc., it seems like that’s when the announcement comes about a new, upgraded product you’d really like. Unless you’re oh, 12 or so, it’s happened to you enough times that you understand “that’s life, Jack.”

So, feel free to direct some anger and frustration my way, instead of trying to kill the Golden Goose. Give the guy a break, and show some gratitude. Sheesh.

IRs are an adequate solution. I’ve recently fallen in love with two notes WOS plugin and really think it’s the bees knees. Cab block bypassed for now here. Still looking forward to see what’s coming for the AxeFXIII!

I’d be all in favor of 32 choice IR’s as I rigutnkie have tens of thousands on my HD from over the past decade or so, and never have bothered to load any of those into my III mkI as the factory stuff is so deep to cover all my needs, and honestly out of the factory stuff I only use a handful of favorites as is.

As such, 32 seems plenty to me in the event they are all the best sounding options possible.

back in hardware days I never had even 32 combinations, I had 2 cabs and one mic lol

Maybe silly question or already answered and I missed it, but will the fm9 be similar to the III mkII in terms of memory ?

I have a mkI right now and wouldn’t upgrade to a mkII most likely, and not even sure I’ll get a fm9, BUT.... if the fm9 can parallel the mkII, it might make buying the fm9 a no brainer as far as upgrade choices go

I use headphones a lot because quiet is very desired in our house. The .mp3 samples are interesting and definitely sounded more like an amp in the room, but I think I'd stick with the current sound of the cabs.

And, there are definitely times I'd swear my guitar was going to feedback with the headphones on; The octave would start to whine and I'd think cooool. It's probably a combination of the amp model, and the Out Comp Type setting, but it's pretty realistic.
Wow, Guess you're pushing your headphones to the limit if you start to feedback. I really need my CLR or Redsound MF10 for that. With the MF10 (pre G66 version) the amps sing a bit easier as they're more mid coloured. I prefer the way MF10 cuts the lid in a band but the CLR feels more balanced and accurate to me when playing alone. But I'm off topic here.

It has plenty of memory for firmware updates. It has limited NV memory for user data storage because at the time it was designed the FLASH chips used were the largest capacity available.

The Mark II has larger capacity FLASH chips because they're available now.

Frankly the whining over this is very off-putting. We do the best we can with the technology available. To expect a product that was designed five years ago to be as capable as a newer model is ridiculous given the pace of technology advancement. A computer built five years ago would've been considered state of the art if it had a 1TB hard drive. Now those are considered midrange.
You can only do what you can do. And I'm fine with the option you provided.

In the next 6 years, when I retire, I plan to go on the road permanently. Therefore, a rack unit like I have now will not work. I'll go to a floor model type. Who knows what will be available then.

Maybe silly question or already answered and I missed it, but will the fm9 be similar to the III mkII in terms of memory ?

I have a mkI right now and wouldn’t upgrade to a mkII most likely, and not even sure I’ll get a fm9, BUT.... if the fm9 can parallel the mkII, it might make buying the fm9 a no brainer as far as upgrade choices go
It’s what I said twice already . The fm9 is half a 3 in memory 😔
so when I see guys asking for it in the fm3 as it’s already difficult to put it in mk1…. Maybe while erasing it all yes 😅

I never used more than about 10 IR for my regular patches. Interested to read the professional users opinions on this (studios, guitarists).
My IR storage is about 3/4 full, but it's because I load a bunch from a pack, find the ones I like and use them, and never manage to get back around to housekeeping. I wish AxeEdit had some housekeeping tools, like automatic removal of IRs not in use, and a "defrag" process that would take the IRs that are in use and move them all to the front of the IR storage space and update the presets that use each IR of the new post-defrag location automagically. Yes, you can use Fractool to get a list and do it manually, but manually doing it is error-prone and extremely tedious, while what amounts to a small shell script or two could replace me, and eliminate the likely distracted errors that would occur, while simultaneously letting me have more time to shut up and play my guitar.... :)

Back
Top Bottom