AITR

It would be amazing if the Mk I would work. As someone suggested earlier, I fully support making the factory cabs downloadable and allowing that space to be used for FullRes IRs. Those who use the factory IRs can download what they want, and those who don’t use factory IRs could utilize that space for the FullRes experience.
That would be a nightmare. It would break the factory presets and many of the user's presets.

The only possibility would be to change the User 2 bank to a User FR bank. So you would give up 1024 User IR slots in exchange for 32 FullRes user slots.

It would be amazing if the Mk I would work. As someone suggested earlier, I fully support making the factory cabs downloadable and allowing that space to be used for FullRes IRs. Those who use the factory IRs can download what they want, and those who don’t use factory IRs could utilize that space for the FullRes experience.
I wonder if certain vendors have licensing issues with free releasing their IRs (even as syx), if the deal was to keep it in the box and that's it.

Coming from someone who has 0 legal expertise

The only possibility would be to change the User 2 bank to a User FR bank. So you would give up 1024 User IR slots in exchange for 32 FullRes user slots.

Which would be awesome ... and perfect if the users could choose between having the normal second User IR bank, or the new 32 FullRes IR slots. I don't now if this is possible, but I guess (nearly) everybody would be happy with that.

That would be a nightmare. It would break the factory presets and many of the user's presets.

I would vote for the 32 FullRes user slots option. Thirty two different cabs with the ability to switch them out between sessions is plenty to me.

Last edited:
Have to admit first thing that crossed my mind when diving in to this thread. "So much for future proof" (As the Axe Fx III Mark I was advertised as)

But pretty sure we will get it, it was already put out there it can be done, but -----.

I remember years ago The Axe Fx Mark I, did not have enough room to run a certain firmware (I forget which one), it was never put out there it can be done. However it was not long afterwards Fractal asked how people would feel about losing the ability to roll back the firmware (within the unit) in the Mark I. Don't remember seeing one "nah". It was done got the firmware and many afterwards.

But I'm with you @VegasGuitar , wont purchase a new unit just for this feature.
My thoughts exactly. While you can't expect a company to predict future breakthroughs, the III Mk I was marketed as having plenty of memory for future updates. So this is disappointing. Perhaps they will find a way to make it work on the Mk I. If not, oh well. Doesn't change how great the Mk I sounds right now and will going forward....

My thoughts exactly. While you can't expect a company to predict future breakthroughs, the III Mk I was marketed as having plenty of memory for future updates. So this is disappointing. Perhaps they will find a way to make it work on the Mk I. If not, oh well. Doesn't change how great the Mk I sounds right now and will going forward....
It has plenty of memory for firmware updates. It has limited NV memory for user data storage because at the time it was designed the FLASH chips used were the largest capacity available.

The Mark II has larger capacity FLASH chips because they're available now.

Frankly the whining over this is very off-putting. We do the best we can with the technology available. To expect a product that was designed five years ago to be as capable as a newer model is ridiculous given the pace of technology advancement. A computer built five years ago would've been considered state of the art if it had a 1TB hard drive. Now those are considered midrange.

To an extent, but not entirely. You'll hear the increased decay time of the captured room reflections, but the response in the room is a physical interaction between the room surfaces and the resonance and dispersion pattern of the cab/speaker(s). No IR can change that.

To put it another way, if you used a distant mic IR and your FRFR was in an anechoic chamber, the IR would not be able to change the deadness of the room. You'd still hear the captured reflections in the IR, but they would be heard as direct sound from the cab and not coming from all around you in the room like true reflections do.

Thanks. That's what I thought too.

If the banks were able to be variable rather than fixed in size based on your usage we could have a winner
Maybe reduce both banks to 512 so the user address space still has User1 and User2, or make that an option alongside just dropping User2. For a while, until my unit got more IRs added, I was using User1 for IRs that came with presets I had downloaded or purchased and User2 for IRs I personally shot, or mixed from purchased IRs via CabLab or MixIR in Logic. It is handy to have two User banks, so an option to reduce size of both instead if just dropping one would be cool for people using the two banks as a sorting method....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom