AITR

If you ask me. I would love to give some of the cab space, which is already a TON of space for adding the FullRes into the AX3 MK1. And personally?
I think that external storage for IRs should be acceptable as well - so the axe fx can read IRs directly from a DOK without actually saving it.
Or else, making backup and replacing with a Dok for a set of ready IR packs

do you prefer to put a room mic if you record an actual cab (in a nice, acoustically treated room/studio other than that its anyway not much use unless you are out for some specific sound) or do you just put another mic off axis to capture the room?

Cliff specifically said this is intented for room mics. Personally i would go with IRs of brands/people who literally put a room mic and shot a real room IR. Yes the longer the IR the more reflections you get but...
It all depends how reflective the "real room" is where you are shooting IR files.

A "real room" that has some reflective bounce to it where you are going to play that IR mix in a music mix where you are going to create a room for all your instruments to sit in or a solo instrument mix where you add reverb or delay will sound like that IR room in the effect room.

If you are not using IEMs or headphones to monitor, then you will have the IR room in your effects created room in a monitoring room.

If your IR recording room is really dead in terms of reverberations, then you are not going to get anything more than the decay of the cab with a room mic. You are then open to having the real cab sound in a sonically neutral environment so that it will sound like that cab in your effects created room in a monitoring room. It's a huge difference in terms of realism.

Last edited:
Going from 8k samples to 64k samples means those cab files are 8 times as large, so you'll probably have to give up 8 UltraRes user cab slots for 1 Full Res cab in the MK 1. Taking an entire bank of 1024 user cabs would give you potentially 128 Full Res slots. I'd be fine with that trade off.

It all depends how reflective the "real room" is where you are shooting IR files.

A "real room" that has some reflective bounce to it that you are going to play in a mix where you are going to create a room for all your instruments to sit in or a solo instrument where you add reverb or delay will sound like a room in a room.

If your room is really dead in terms of reverberations, then you are not going to get anything more than the decay of the cab with a room mic.
Hello doctor, do you have any experience using long “real room” IRs with the Axe through a PA?

Hello doctor, do you have any experience using long “real room” IRs with the Axe through a PA?
Yep.

I have also dealt with mixes where someone recorded guitars with "real room" mics and the band changed their conception of the mix and they battled with that baked in room spoiling the vibe that they were trying to create. That was always a fun experience.

Yep.

I have also dealt with mixes where someone recorded guitars with "real room" mics and the band changed their conception of the mix and they battled with that baked in room spoiling the vibe that they were trying to create. That was always a fun experience.
Yes, baked in effects almost always make mixing harder.

Did you like the real room IR sound through a PA?

Understood, but I'll bet a dollar that more than a handful of my top pro friends end up loving this feature for live.

Hi !

You may be right ... but ... speaking purely from a live "real cab" / live "FRFR Cab" perspective, it doesn't make no sense to me to use these live as the room you are playing in will already have "its own sounds / reflections etc....." .... so you would be using an " IR with a different room already baked-in " into a totally different real room which will already have its own set of unique sounds / reflections / size etc....... !?

It would be like using a "normal mic-baked-in-IR" with your FRFR and then mic'ing that FRFR cab with another mic for live use .... makes no audio/sonic sense.

Still ...... if people use these live and they like the sound ... then more power to them :)

Where I can see these being used live is for on-stage in ear monitoring and then feeding a "normal" IR to FOH.

Thanks,
Ben

My opinion of course about this, if the PA that the room is in is similar to the room where the IR is shot, it sounds good.

If the two rooms do not have the same properties, then it sounds like an audio Moebius strip.
I will say this, the clips that Cliff posted did have some of the elusive AITR real cabinet high end splatter/glare that I can’t seem to get with the Axe through studio monitors or my Matrix SS amp…

First, there isn’t a competing product as far as I know — the AxeFX occupies a class of one with a few “pretenders to the throne”. That said, other high-end digital audio device manufacturers like Eventide, Symetrix and Lexicon — companies making products at the forefront of their respective categories — often take advantage of daughter-card expansion capability, especially in co-processing/input-output and storage applications. I have no idea if that’s even a possibility with Fractal products, but I’d enjoy learning more about how/why it can or cannot apply to future AFX products.

My suggestion is to stop here. FAS is not like other companies. Comparisons are irrelevant.

You willingly admit you know nothing about it, but insist that you have some revolutionary idea. Let it go.

From what I've seen, you can upgrade to a MKII with not too much outlay once you flip your MKI. Go that way rather than make critical architecture comments about FAS HW pipelines. You have a unique opportunity to speak to the owner of the company with the best modeler on the planet. Don't abuse it by thinking you know better than him how to develop a product.

Ron

I'll be honest, I fully expect Fractal to make FullRes available for Mk1 users. Maybe not immediately, but I think Cliff will give us the option.

Back in the AxeFX II days there was a Firmware release that he initially made available only to MkII and greater users. There was some issue where the future firmware wouldn't work on the MkI. Lots of MkI users let him know quite clearly that they wanted the new firmware too. So, he worked hard for a couple of days and did magic so it would work for MkI users too.

My prediction, this'll happen for FullRes.

It makes no sense to delete factory banks, including Legacy, because that would directly harm the sharing of presets.

Good point. Think how it would negatively affect Austin Buddy and others who sell preset packs using factory cabs.

I don't like the idea of giving up any of my user IRs, but I am willing to do that if it makes the innovations available for us MK1 users. Maybe have a poll, and leave it up for a few weeks. I say go for it!

Back
Top Bottom