AITR

It can be complex to “vote” because the 50 active guys in the forum are not all the axe 3 users in the world hm . Imagine a guy out of the forum having less slot because 50 guys vote for it (the number is an example)
I'm guessing that they wouldn't update to that firmware? It's not like there's anything parfticularly wrong with 16.05.

If slots for IRs are going te be reduced, optional or not, it would be nice to have 2 things: 1) being able to see which irs are in use in a preset. And preferably in which one(s) 2) be able to move irs while they stay connected to the preset(s).

Definitely second that! This is the main reason why I'm somewhat reluctant to let go of the 2nd IR USER bank... e.g. I have all of Fremen presets, and he has a number of custom IRs that need to be slotted in specific spots.. so when I load Fanton, or other vendor presets, that would also need me to put the IRs in those same first few hundred USER #1 bank slots, I try to simply keep the same #s but put them in USER bank #2 instead...

But it would make things a lot easier not to have to worry about where the IR is stored and then I agree that it would likely be OK to fonction with less User IR slots...

But bottom line we're just spoiled is what it is! ;-)

You go on the assumption that FAS can anticipate every innovation that they will come up with in the future. Clearly they figured some things out, and issued the MKII.

+1 on less IR slots.
No, I don't go on that assumption at all. The reason that many manufacturers build-in just such an expansion port on their main circuit board is precisely because they CAN'T anticipate every innovation (or component improvement/availability) but want to be able to take advantage of future developments without making their original product redundant. Wouldn't you like to be able to give your MKI (maybe some of) the capabilities of a MKII by simply purchasing and plugging in an additional small circuit card? Assuming that's even possible given Fractals leading-edge products, I know I would... and it's SOP in many top-drawer digital audio processors.

I hope to read a reply from Cliff re: same, hence my "looking forward to being schooled" comment.

Last edited:
The "Save Preset + CAB bundle" feature on Axe-Edit, once implemented, will be very handful to clean our unused IR slots and move the used ones to the first positions

Just save all your presets as bundle, delete all the user IRs, and load your presets again choosing the first slots for the IRs

+1 on less IR slots

Off axis and cab PZM files shot with a 500 ms impulse do give you a bit of room flavor.

It's all about how one mixes them in so it doesn't sound like a bad demo.
do you prefer to put a room mic if you record an actual cab (in a nice, acoustically treated room/studio other than that its anyway not much use unless you are out for some specific sound) or do you just put another mic off axis to capture the room?

Cliff specifically said this is intented for room mics. Personally i would go with IRs of brands/people who literally put a room mic and shot a real room IR. Yes the longer the IR the more reflections you get but...

No, I don't go on that assumption at all. The reason that many manufacturers build-in just such an expansion port on their main circuit board is precisely because they CAN'T anticipate every innovation (or component improvement/availability) but want to be able to take advantage of future developments without making their original product redundant. Wouldn't you like to be able to give your MKI (maybe some of) the capabilities of a MKII by simply purchasing and plugging in an additional small circuit card? Assuming that's even possible given Fractals leading-edge products, I know I would... and it's SOP in many top-drawer digital audio processors.

I hope to read a reply from Cliff re: same, hence my "looking forward to being schooled" comment.
Name a competing product with an expansion slot.

Understood, but I'll bet a dollar that more than a handful of my top pro friends end up loving this feature for live.
This is huge even for inear mix! I go for vintage tones most of the time and love having a bit of room/studio reverb for inears so you get some sense of space and a bit of a stereo image...not that i necessarily send it to FOH. And since yet i either had to dedicate a reverb block for it or used 3rd party plugins (in my case, UAD ocean ways just for inear mix)

Last edited:
Name a competing product with an expansion slot.
First, there isn’t a competing product as far as I know — the AxeFX occupies a class of one with a few “pretenders to the throne”. That said, other high-end digital audio device manufacturers like Eventide, Symetrix and Lexicon — companies making products at the forefront of their respective categories — often take advantage of daughter-card expansion capability, especially in co-processing/input-output and storage applications. I have no idea if that’s even a possibility with Fractal products, but I’d enjoy learning more about how/why it can or cannot apply to future AFX products.

+1
I own also mk1 i would be super happy to have the full res instead of some factory IRs which i dont use.

Would it be possible to give factory IRs as a downloadable option, like factory presets. Some like them, others like me...just delete all the minute i turn on the unit very first time.
The problem with having only user editable cab slots is it will break all of the factory presets unless users put the needed factory cabs in the correct slots. It would require a complete paradigm shift from fixed cab slot locations to an index based system that uses the cab name or a file hash or something to identify each one. Without it, sharing presets would be a nightmare, even the factory presets. That change might also affect access/load times when changing presets or cab block channels.

The problem with having only user editable cab slots is it will break all of the factory presets unless users put the needed factory cabs in the correct slots. It would require a complete paradigm shift from fixed cab slot locations to an index based system that uses the cab name or a file hash or something to identify each one. Without it, sharing presets would be a nightmare, even the factory presets. That change might also affect access/load times when changing presets or cab block channels.

Makes sense, i imagine also there would be legal issues if you put’em up for download since there are many from other people/companies available as Factory IRs

Back
Top Bottom