• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

AITR

yyz67

Power User
Yes. The two IR Player blocks have been combined into a single, stereo IR Player block with individual level and pan and a mix control.

Would this break my presets with two separate IRP blocks, especially if in series (e.g. cab IR -> TM IR)

Piing

Fractal Fanatic
I just read through 36 pages of "PLZ GIMME THIS NOW I"LL SACRIFICE ALL THE IR'S FOR THE NEW IR's", I don't think the question was ever asked from FAS lol.
Some answers:

1. This will currently only be available on the Axe-Fx III Mark II. Our other products do not have the NV memory to store the large IRs. I will look into ways of possibly supporting this on the other products. The Mark II has double the NV memory of the Mark I. All the NV memory on the Mark I is allocated. If the demand is great enough one possibility is to reduce the number of slots in the User IR banks and allocate the freed memory to FullRes slots.

2. The CPU usage is not too bad. A FullRes IR uses about 10% more CPU than a regular IR. I haven't done that much work on optimization so it may be possible to reduce this.

3. The primary use is for "room mics" and short-to-medium convolution reverbs. The two clips I posted were done using room mic IRs from Celestion. Those IRs were 500 ms.

4. I'm hoping IR vendors will embrace the technology and start offering room mic IRs with at least one second of response time. This assumes they use a suitable live room to do their captures.

5. We are going to our local studio in the coming months and will shoot a bunch of room IRs there. They have a very nice live room with good acoustics.

6. A new version of Cab-Lab is in the works that supports the creation of FullRes IRs.

FenixIA

Inspired
Fair, I missed the last line of point 1. I just soaked it in as FAS will do what they can.

Would be simpler to chuck up a poll than clog up 30+ pages of a thread with nuggets of great info, but point taken.

jaza69

Inspired
In your stated case ..... no

Fractal have made it very clear that these are not "made" / "designed" for live use - unless you will want or prefer the sound of a baked-in room in your IR playing into a real room with its own different real room reflections ie: IR with room reflections played into a real room with with its own totally different real room reflections (!) As I've said before, would you ever [live] mic up a FRFR Cab that was already playing back an IR with the mic baked in [ as they all are ] (?)

For I.E on stage Monitoring I can see a use whilst feeding your normal IR sound to FOH.

For home recording and bedroom-level and headphone playing I can also see a use.

And as a very general principle "more options" always give you "more options" :)

All the best,
Ben
But, but... somebody's bet a dollar that it will be used live ;)

Doctor Wu

Inspired
Thanks Yek.

"one possibility is to reduce the number of slots in the User IR banks and allocate the freed memory to FullRes slots."
"Normal IRs are 2K. FullRes IRs are 32 times larger so an entire bank would provide 32 FullRes slots."

I'd be perfectly happy with that.

Roby Rocks

Inspired
Vendor
I just read through 36 pages of "PLZ GIMME THIS NOW I"LL SACRIFICE ALL THE IR'S FOR THE NEW IR's"

mah... personally I don't want to sacrifice my user cabs. At the moment I’m using 1980 slots for my personal ir library. So For me is important the “User2”.
Furthermore to simulate the amp-in-the room I simply use the “room parameter of cab block” or the reverb block.
All the NV memory on the Mark I is allocated. If the demand is great enough one possibility is to reduce the number of slots in the User IR banks and allocate the freed memory to FullRes slots.
if that happens I hope that Fractal grant the possibility to users to choose if reduce or not the user cabs.

discondition

Alrighty then, here's my 2c

I personally only use about 12 User IRs, I just picked out my favourite pairs for six different styles of music, and if I need something more there are SOOO many excellent Factory IRs to choose from!!

. . . maybe some would have preferred if it had just been 4 "user" banks anyway, with deletable factory IRs 🤷‍♂️, first thing I did was delete the factory presets anyway :p

I know many of us will love the new FullRes tech, that's great!! ✨✨
IMHO the longer IRs don't sound how I want to sound, and from an older thread https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ir-length.155295/, I learnt how to tighten my guitar sound via shortening the IRs which this feature is the opposite to. . .?

alcyppa

Inspired
Would be nice if two FullRes IRs were added to the stock ones, and a new factory preset was created, to demonstrate the use of FullRes.

If there's no more room in the factory slots that would mean deleting 64 cabs IIRC.

I think it will be something similar to when Ultrares tech was released: a couple of loose IRs packaged in the firmware compressed archive.

I might be super wrong though.

My name is mud

Power User
You can have your third party irs in the computer , the only thing is that removing them for the list …. they will dissapear in the preset .and to remember which one do you use etc etc . If the preset can memorize the Ir that are missing (just the name) it can be cool.

Personally no problem to remove bank 2. And I won’t die if we don’t have it . We have already reverbs and other controls to do that type of sound space, with more control .

Last edited:

Smittefar

Fractal Fanatic
2. The CPU usage is not too bad. A FullRes IR uses about 10% more CPU than a regular IR. I haven't done that much work on optimization so it may be possible to reduce this.
Is 10% relative to the CPU spent processing an UltraRes IR or relative to the full CPU capacity of the unit.

This might have been addressed, but is it feasible (and not a bear) that a setting be added that determines how the User2 bank functions? “Standard IR” mode and “FullRes” mode? This would seem to give folks on either side what they want.

Likely a case of easier said than done but thought it was worth mentioning.

Dave Merrill

Fractal Fanatic
This might have been addressed, but is it feasible (and not a bear) that a setting be added that determines how the User2 bank functions? “Standard IR” mode and “FullRes” mode? This would seem to give folks on either side what they want.

Likely a case of easier said than done but thought it was worth mentioning.
Cliff has said that's not a possibility. Don't have the post handy, and who knows what will happen in the future, but I'm sure he did say that.

Which is too bad.

AJ Vargas

Experienced
I just find funny how suddenly nobody needs more than 12 User IRs and are perfectly comfortable with losing an entire bank when right before the launch of the AFX III Mk2 everybody and their mother absolutely needed much more than the 2000+ user IRs the MK1 currently supports.

I, for one, am absolutely OK with whatever Cliff chooses to do. In the end, he always figures the best solution possible.

Top Bottom