• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

AITR

steverosburg

Experienced
1. This will currently only be available on the Axe-Fx III Mark II. Our other products do not have the NV memory to store the large IRs. I will look into ways of possibly supporting this on the other products. The Mark II has double the NV memory of the Mark I. All the NV memory on the Mark I is allocated. If the demand is great enough one possibility is to reduce the number of slots in the User IR banks and allocate the freed memory to FullRes slots.

I personally use very few of the custom IR slots, so personally I'd be all for reclaiming some slots.

Jambi

Inspired
Normally after posts like this those guys come running out from everywhere 😂
The unique situation of needing to hoard IRs on unit got even more unique-e-er. Those people probably already have a MkII anyway.

Personally, I got one so I can have RGB Gamer lights ‘in the room.’

Joker

Inspired
Will you provide these longer IRs so that we can load them up inside the CabLab application or will you constrain them to the hardware units?

As an Axe FX III MK I owner, I'd happily part with a big chunk of the extra IR slots just to make room for at least 4 or 5 of these longer IRs.

Last edited:

DougB415

Inspired
It can be complex to “vote” because the 50 active guys in the forum are not all the axe 3 users in the world hm . Imagine a guy out of the forum having less slot because 50 guys vote for it (the number is an example)
I'm guessing that they wouldn't update to that firmware? It's not like there's anything parfticularly wrong with 16.05.

Joce

Inspired
If slots for IRs are going te be reduced, optional or not, it would be nice to have 2 things: 1) being able to see which irs are in use in a preset. And preferably in which one(s) 2) be able to move irs while they stay connected to the preset(s).

Definitely second that! This is the main reason why I'm somewhat reluctant to let go of the 2nd IR USER bank... e.g. I have all of Fremen presets, and he has a number of custom IRs that need to be slotted in specific spots.. so when I load Fanton, or other vendor presets, that would also need me to put the IRs in those same first few hundred USER #1 bank slots, I try to simply keep the same #s but put them in USER bank #2 instead...

But it would make things a lot easier not to have to worry about where the IR is stored and then I agree that it would likely be OK to fonction with less User IR slots...

But bottom line we're just spoiled is what it is! ;-)

touch33

Inspired
You go on the assumption that FAS can anticipate every innovation that they will come up with in the future. Clearly they figured some things out, and issued the MKII.

+1 on less IR slots.
No, I don't go on that assumption at all. The reason that many manufacturers build-in just such an expansion port on their main circuit board is precisely because they CAN'T anticipate every innovation (or component improvement/availability) but want to be able to take advantage of future developments without making their original product redundant. Wouldn't you like to be able to give your MKI (maybe some of) the capabilities of a MKII by simply purchasing and plugging in an additional small circuit card? Assuming that's even possible given Fractals leading-edge products, I know I would... and it's SOP in many top-drawer digital audio processors.

I hope to read a reply from Cliff re: same, hence my "looking forward to being schooled" comment.

Last edited:

Piing

Fractal Fanatic
The "Save Preset + CAB bundle" feature on Axe-Edit, once implemented, will be very handful to clean our unused IR slots and move the used ones to the first positions

Just save all your presets as bundle, delete all the user IRs, and load your presets again choosing the first slots for the IRs

+1 on less IR slots

unFILTERed

Power User
Off axis and cab PZM files shot with a 500 ms impulse do give you a bit of room flavor.

It's all about how one mixes them in so it doesn't sound like a bad demo.
do you prefer to put a room mic if you record an actual cab (in a nice, acoustically treated room/studio other than that its anyway not much use unless you are out for some specific sound) or do you just put another mic off axis to capture the room?

Cliff specifically said this is intented for room mics. Personally i would go with IRs of brands/people who literally put a room mic and shot a real room IR. Yes the longer the IR the more reflections you get but...

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
No, I don't go on that assumption at all. The reason that many manufacturers build-in just such an expansion port on their main circuit board is precisely because they CAN'T anticipate every innovation (or component improvement/availability) but want to be able to take advantage of future developments without making their original product redundant. Wouldn't you like to be able to give your MKI (maybe some of) the capabilities of a MKII by simply purchasing and plugging in an additional small circuit card? Assuming that's even possible given Fractals leading-edge products, I know I would... and it's SOP in many top-drawer digital audio processors.

I hope to read a reply from Cliff re: same, hence my "looking forward to being schooled" comment.
Name a competing product with an expansion slot.

unFILTERed

Power User
Understood, but I'll bet a dollar that more than a handful of my top pro friends end up loving this feature for live.
This is huge even for inear mix! I go for vintage tones most of the time and love having a bit of room/studio reverb for inears so you get some sense of space and a bit of a stereo image...not that i necessarily send it to FOH. And since yet i either had to dedicate a reverb block for it or used 3rd party plugins (in my case, UAD ocean ways just for inear mix)

Last edited:
Top Bottom