Airport security messed up my Axe-FX II !

worst part is no one is held responsible. They checked through 3 airports.
There is no way we will ever know who took it apart.

Google the Montreal Convention. Read up on either section 20, 21, or 22 (I forget which) that deals with damaged personal items. It sounds like your axe crossed international borders, and I'm all but certain Norway is a MC signee. You may have recourse.

I feel for ya brother. Unfortunately, recourse with any of the airlines infuriating AND very very slow.
When you lend gear to friends, do it WITH a stipulation that any damage/repair is on them. To eliminate problems later, Ask for a 10-15% cash deposit. This way they are covered, if they return, with little or no cash.
Usually they are happy to do it, as rental of the items is usually the COST of the deposit, which they get back from you. And if it is damaged and you get restitution, they will get refunded.
If they complain, I just give them a rental company's phone #, and say" here ya go."

None of this advice helps you NOW though. I would talk to your friends and ask them to cover the repair. If your friendship means anything to them, they will step up to the plate with a smile to prove their worthiness ! If you need to, show them this response, it may help.

at the moment the band and me are dealing with insurance. Hopefully they will cover this, otherwise the band has to give me a new Axe-FX II, or atleast pay for the repairs.
Hoping for the best!

Man, this thread has pissed me off.

Many years ago when I was in the Army (1989-1990) making basically no money, I saved forever to buy a made in Japan ESP. I was so proud of that guitar.

When flying back from Germany to the US, when it came out of baggage claims, the case was destroyed.

I proceeded to go to the baggage claims office and went off on the office. I am not proud of the way I handled it. I yelled probably at the top of my lungs at the staff. But for me to replace that guitar would have took probably another year of saving. Had it been post 911 I probably would have gotten carted off by security. Of course at this age I also know better.

Fortunately the guitar was fine. But the case was no longer usable.

Still have the guitar and the broken case. LOVE that guitar still.

It is so freaking disrespectful what they did to your Axe II.

If the employees were held accountable this would never happen.

Because they are not held responsible, you get stuff like this.

That's it. If I travel with my Axefx... I'm going to get a case I can weld closed.

Still illegitimate.

How so? They are permitted to tear anything apart. They are permitted to search what goes on the plane for drugs, bombs, whatever. As much as it sucks and how much I feel for the OP, it is done for our protection. It would be nice if it didn't have to be that way for sure, but there are evil people out there looking to hurt innocent civilians.

How would you handle the world wide security crisis?

Do they have bomb sniffing dogs? Or just drugs?

I had no idea they opened electronic items. They must be voiding a lot of warranties. What about all the people who pack computers or XBoxes and whatnot? Video game consoles are not so easy to open. Do they just leave those alone because they're common and less suspicious?

I'm sorry to crack a joke in a sad news thread.. but I can't resist:

Maybe security overheard someone say "That Axe-Fx is the BOMB!"

K, joke over.. really sorry that happened.

Do they have bomb sniffing dogs? Or just drugs?

I had no idea they opened electronic items. They must be voiding a lot of warranties. What about all the people who pack computers or XBoxes and whatnot? Video game consoles are not so easy to open. Do they just leave those alone because they're common and less suspicious?

There is a difference between sending cargo for mass consumption from a designated company, who would then be responsible and have insurance for things like that and an individual bringing something like that on a commercial flight.

They can open anything they want. Including phones, cameras, video cameras, watches, etc.

How so? They are permitted to tear anything apart. They are permitted to search what goes on the plane for drugs, bombs, whatever. As much as it sucks and how much I feel for the OP, it is done for our protection. It would be nice if it didn't have to be that way for sure, but there are evil people out there looking to hurt innocent civilians.

How would you handle the world wide security crisis?

And do you know how many terrorists TSA has stopped? None. Not a single one.
How many women and children had to be molested for that whopping dragnet? How many grannies had their wheelchairs taken apart and left that way? How much radiation did we allow ourselves to be bombarded with so some perv in a "private(s)" screening room can oogle your junk while his buddy steals your iPad and fucks up your Axe FX II?

I say TSA because I am not familiar with the branch of airport security in Norway.

I've spent the past 8 years working for various PMC's, contracted or sub-contracted to DoD, DoS, etc., in the biggest shit holes around the planet before I just couldn't stomach it anymore. I've helped write embassy and consulate security SOPs, including emergency evac/egress/extract, of course with air contingencies. Without going into too much detail, I would say I am qualified to make an assessment. It is as follows:

Airport security is complete and utter bullshit. TSA is comprised of flunkies with statute (fiat) badges. They do NOT make you safe. They make you FEEL safe... or outraged if you've seen what I have.

To OP: I didn't see you respond to this, so I'll mention it again, go bone up on the Montreal Convention.

And do you know how many terrorists TSA has stopped? None. Not a single one.
How many women and children had to be molested for that whopping dragnet? How many grannies had their wheelchairs taken apart and left that way? How much radiation did we allow ourselves to be bombarded with so some perv in a "private(s)" screening room can oogle your junk while his buddy steals your iPad and fucks up your Axe FX II?

I say TSA because I am not familiar with the branch of airport security in Norway.

I've spent the past 8 years working for various PMC's, contracted or sub-contracted to DoD, DoS, etc., in the biggest shit holes around the planet before I just couldn't stomach it anymore. I've helped write embassy and consulate security SOPs, including emergency evac/egress/extract, of course with air contingencies. Without going into too much detail, I would say I am qualified to make an assessment. It is as follows:

Airport security is complete and utter bullshit. TSA is comprised of flunkies with statute (fiat) badges. They do NOT make you safe. They make you FEEL safe... or outraged if you've seen what I have.

To OP: I didn't see you respond to this, so I'll mention it again, go bone up on the Montreal Convention.

Please calm down. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you.

The fact remains that they are permitted to do this, internationally. I never mentioned the TSA specifically, although, again, they are allowed. You agreeing or disagreeing with me doesn't change that fact at all.

I'm perfectly calm, although I do find it upsetting when people blindly put their faith and trust into institutions of which they know little or nothing.
You asked how their search was illegitimate. Just because they are "allowed" to do something (per their own statues via DHS) does not make it Constitutionally lawful nor morally right. Thus, illegitimate.
Their qualifications, procedures, and justifications are no different from letting a crack head fondle your kids on their way to school, because they say they do it for the children.

Back
Top Bottom