air parameter

edo

Power User
Vendor
I noticed that in the last few fw updates my presets have lost some of the "silky" top end (ac30tb > silvers / blues) and i cant seem to get in back with any amp settings, so i was thinking to add some air in the cab block, which sounds good on clean tones but add some harshness to overdrives. Thoughts? Just curious how people use it or if anybody has managed to get some air from the amp block without actually using the air in the cab block.

I don't use it at all. I try to keep the number of knobs I tweak down to a minimum. Perhaps try another amp model that provides more top end. Of course you should be able to get there with AC-30TB.:) Maybe try adding a bit more treble in the "preamp section of the "cab block". Let us know if you find a solution. May I try your ac-30tb preset?

Are you running a stereo cab block with .060 ms delay on the right (or left). This rolls off some highs as well.

I use it all the time... usually at 20% max and I sweep the frequency for the sweet spot depending on what cab I have in the preset... I use it on every preset and it will soften your tone when set right

I use this feature on every preset as well.

Try setting the "Air" at 25%, then set the "Air Frequency" knob to taste. If the "top end" is too harsh, just keep adjusting it counter clockwise until you find the sweet spot. On clean presets, I usually start at 8k, then tweak from there. Start at 6k for the dirty presets:)

I've found that dong this to all my patches adds a greater sense of depth and realism to the overall sound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use the AIR parameter but, to obtain the "silky" top end you are talkin' about, I use the Null parameter.
It doesn't simply boost some bass frequencies but it also smooth the highs in a more realistic way.

I don't use the AIR parameter but, to obtain the "silky" top end you are talkin' about, I use the Null parameter.
It doesn't simply boost some bass frequencies but it also smooth the highs in a more realistic way.

that's the opposite though.. i dont want to smoothen the top end, I want to make it more pronounced. The top end I'm referring to is the one that on a real life ac30 would come out by lowering the tone cut, but here on the axe it's already at 0 and it's still missing. Turning up the treble - as some might suggest - will make the top end a little crunchier, not what i'm after. On all ac30's i've played (from any era, 60's to present), the tone cut is very effective for adding that extra sparkle, i'm sure the axe can do that (a few fw's ago it was there), i just cant figure out how on 19.02, and i dont want to go back as i really dig the new g3 od's!

Have you tried different IRs?
That's where I normally start. I know you've implied that it was okay before and now something has changed, but I would still revisit the IR options.

Have you tried different IRs?
That's where I normally start. I know you've implied that it was okay before and now something has changed, but I would still revisit the IR options.

I already did.. I used to use ac30 blues as the silvers sounded too bright, now i'm using silvers and still miss that top end. I know the easier answer would be "go back to fw xx", but like i said, i like these new od's and i've already tweaked most presets so i'd rather find a fix with the current fw than downgrading.

Why not making a comparisson?

I do remember ppl saying how the AC30s sounded amazon a couple of firmwares ago

Have you tried the santiago cab(s)? They are not Alnico Silvers or Blues but they are sure bright where it counts. Also try using the sm57 mic sim and re-introduce some low end with the proximity parameter. The Sm57 should get you sizzling.

Also, try change the preamp tube type, because the vintage one IIRC is the one from fw 17 and back.

The change in Treble, u noticed it using headphones? Monitors? FRFR????

I'm intrested in this because i'm going to compare both tones with a FRFR, but I might not notice anything for i'm not used to vox amps.

Maybe duh and im not super familiar with the vox amps but have you tried presence, presence depth, or the peq on the eq page. Im sure you've done all of this but wanted to throw in just incase.

@Raab90, I've been tweaking using my studio monitors (adam s2a).
@ThelmoRego, presence in the ac30 works the opposite than regular (all the way down it's brighter, all the way up it's a hi cut filter) - i have it all the way down now, as opposed to 2.30ish i used to have it a couple fw's ago. The amp model is not actually darker, it just lacks the sizzle on the very top end, and I swear it was there!
@Ezvictor, I'm already using redwirez 57's IRs, would you add another 57eq to an ir that's captured with a 57?

@Ezvictor, I'm already using redwirez 57's IRs, would you add another 57eq to an ir that's captured with a 57?

The mic sims are really just a fine grained EQ. If it sounds good then it is good.

I often use the R121 mic sim to add some low mids to bright IR's for live work.

Reactions: edo
Back
Top Bottom