" Air " and " Mic Spacing " .... is there a way to get these "effects" when using a Real Cab ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all

Probably a silly question ...... but here goes anyway ....

-> when I use my Axe with my CLR, in the Cab Settings, I find that adding some " Mic Spacing " and " Air " really brings the tone to life ........ gives it a touch of "roominess" and "sponginess" and takes away some of the overly-in-your-face harshness .....

Sometimes though, I also use my Axe with my real 2 x 12 Celestion G12T-75 Cab [naturally] with Cab Sims off ..., and when I do, I really miss the "effect" that the " Mic Spacing " and " Air " has on the resulting tone.

So ..... my question is:-

=> when using the Axe with a Real Cab and [therefore] Cab Sims off ...... is there a way or another effect or another setting I can use to get the same effect as having " Mic Spacing " and " Air " ?

Hoping the above makes sense :)

Ben

There was a 'empty cab' IR doing the rounds a few years back (possibly pre AF2) - and with Mic type assigned to 'Null' this was claimed to allow you to pass an uncoloured signal through the cab block but still be able to use the cab block parameters

I think I have it still stored somewhere on my home PC but I'm at work at the moment.

Although my memory (not that I'd trust that 100%) tells me it was called something like 'Empty Cab' , this post might have links to the same thing under a different name: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/empty-user-cab.43894/

There was a 'empty cab' IR doing the rounds a few years back (possibly pre AF2) - and with Mic type assigned to 'Null' this was claimed to allow you to pass an uncoloured signal through the cab block but still be able to use the cab block parameters

I think I have it still stored somewhere on my home PC but I'm at work at the moment.

Although my memory (not that I'd trust that 100%) tells me it was called something like 'Empty Cab' , this post might have links to the same thing under a different name: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/empty-user-cab.43894/

Thanks. If you wouldnt mind having a look for it and if you do have, then post it, that would be great :)

No, because a) those are cab block parameters and the cab block is circumvented entirely in a setup like that and b) it would pertain to a microphone recording your cab...your recorded tone isn't going to go back into the cab being recorded

I run a 2x12 cab with a Fryette Power Station and I just add a touch of reverb with low mix (usually the Ambient reverb type). It adds just a bit of 'space' without sounding like reverb.

I think I have that cab block saved. I'll look when I get home. Baker man null cab or something I think.

You can make your own by tone matching two identical signals. Tone match should be a completely flat line then. Save as cab.

Mic spacing sets the delay time for the room reverb sound of the cab block. Simulates moving the room mic further from the cab.

Last edited:
Many thanks maxdown, haffner1, barhrecords and others .... the null Cab you supplied links too and the direct download both work a treat ... all I had to do was increase the Cab Level by exactly 3.0db to level-match them ...... these are exactly what I was after :)

Huge thanks again,
Ben

Back
Top Bottom