ahhhh Compression...

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
Confession: Compression is the one effect i've never liked or used that much so I don't really know how to make it work for me. The only time I've ever liked it was when I owned the Diamond Comp, and I LOVED that thing...just made everything sound better, bigger...just MORE.

That being said, I want to play around with it on some of my country tones but don't really know where to begin. I've searched a lot on here, watched some vids, tried some of the blocks in the emulation threads but it always just seems to dull everything, and not just dynamics. (i obviously expected it to affect dynamics, it's a "compressor", duh)

Anyone have any tips for a self-proclaimed comp dummy?

I believe most country folk put the compressor before the amp. I had a buddy who really liked a little Behringer compressor pedal in front of his amp because it was kind of low-fi and cut some highs and lows. Made for a sweeter country twang.

yeah i've read up on the wiki and everything, just wondered if anyone had some settings they could share off the top of their heads.

I don't use a compressor much anymore since getting my XL. But when I did before, I had a mesa roadster and a dynacomp clone a friend built me. I would use it over a low to mid gain channel in front of the amp. I had to adjust the knob in the inside of the compressor's casing to find the right range and tone I wanted, then adjust the knobs on the outside of the casing.. took a bit but did it all by ear. Wasn't really sure what the heck I was doing, but when I found that magic spot, it made the channels I used for bluesy rock lead stuff amazing. Would make it super fat and liquidy feeling and sustain that would feed back easy too. It added just the right amount of compression which kept everything under control and even without squashing it and making it dull and lifeless. I really need to experiment with the compressors in the XL to see what I can do.

Big believer in "less is more" when it comes to compressors over here, but that "less" can be SO MUCH MORE than no comp at all IMO.

Ratio typically around 2-3dB, fastest possible attack, release ~100ms (adjust to tempo), treshold dependent upon a lot of factors, but I'm usually somewhere around -32dB.

Also give the compression parameters inside the amp block a whirl... really cool stuff happens there.

I still have no idea how fiddle with compression. The difference between 4ms and 10ms attack? I can't really hear it.

Agree with Simeon, the MBC after the amp is great. Sometimes I just compress the top end with it.

I still have no idea how fiddle with compression. The difference between 4ms and 10ms attack? I can't really hear it.

6ms is such a small change. In general, the slower the attack (bigger number), the more high frequencies are let through because the transients are gone before the comp kicks in or "attacks" the signal. Don't be afraid to go up to 50 or 100ms.

Last edited:
What kind of country sound are you going for? There are many types. Can you post a clip from some artist with the sound you're going for? It may have nothing to do with compression or it may have everything to do with it but the settings could be drastically different.

This (Radley's) link is included in the wiki yek posted above, but I would suggest reading through it specifically if you're new to using comps. I have several pedal comps and still ove to use the Diamond comp pedal myself- specifically into my BF Fender amps, but also into the Axe FX when I feel like hooking up my pedal boards.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra...ression-tips-including-new-9-02-features.html

yeah man, there's just something special about that Diamond Comp.

What kind of country sound are you going for? There are many types. Can you post a clip from some artist with the sound you're going for? It may have nothing to do with compression or it may have everything to do with it but the settings could be drastically different.

i have country tones i love, it's just experimentation, really. i've been working on open string/chicken picking/banjo roll type stuff lately and thought some comp might help...since it seems like anyone that chicken picks uses one.

I'm more of a modern country player (rock guy that plays twangy licks, lol), but was working on expanding the repertoire a bit....if that makes sense.

I look at compressors as affecting the audio in different ways so I like to think of what I'm trying to do first.

1. Accentuate the attack.
2. Diminish the attack.
3. Accentuate the sustain.
4. Stay transparent and tame the input so downstream blocks have a hotter more consistent signal.
5. Use it as a drive into an amp block.
6. Use it toward the end of the chain to make all the note details more in your face.

With the MBC, you can do the above but within frequency ranges. Like clamp the bass but push the mids at the same time.

Once I know what I'm going for, it leads me to the settings and position of the comp.

The original old school comp that I've seen all the chicken pickers use was called the Orange Squeezer. It was used in front of the amp. Tele -> Orange Squeezer -> Blackface Deluxe Reverb.

For 'Country' use the general trick is slow attack and fast release - accentuates the initial transient (because it gets through before the comp clamps down) for more pickin'

yeah man, there's just something special about that Diamond Comp.

Absolutely.

I tried SEVERAL different compressors in the past 10-15 years. That yellow Diamond CPR-1 was my always on pedal, for that little sparkle it put in the tone. It was one of those subtle, not sure if it's on pedals, but when you turned it off, you immediately turned it back on.

I finally replaced it with the BJFE Pine Green Compressor - that's another great one.

I've sold most of my pedals, now, but have kept both of these, "just in case"....

Back
Top Bottom