Ahhh, my first guitar was..........

Still got mine!

Given to me Christmas of 76, by my parents.

It is a no-name guitar the photo is from last year (although I don’t really play it I can’t part with it). I believe it cost something like $50 dollars.

Solid as hell after all of this time, the bridge is showing no signs of pulling out. The top has a very slight warp you have to drop a straight edge on it or be really looking for it. The neck is pretty dam straight, low action, no buzzes and the intonation is not all that bad either. For what it is, it is really an outstanding guitar.

This guitar is my conduit/gateway, into spending thousands of dollars through the years on guitars, amps, and recording equipment and so on. And looking back on that, don’t have one dam regret!

Hell I probably would not be posting here right now if it was not for this guitar.

John

First ever was a no-name acoustic steel string that Mom or Dad literally found in a dump bin when I was about 8. The piece of opaque white plexiglass glued to the face (covering a puncture wound near the bridge) really set off the look, and made the tone unique I'm sure, especially with the nylon strings they put on it. But it got me started.

First electric was a crappy used import from a music store, but similar to what you would find at a department store. It proved itself unplayable shortly after, so it was soon traded in on a new Harmony Rocket. Nothing great, but playable, and I didn't have much to compare it to. (Mom and Dad couldn't swing the cost of the other guitar we were looking at -- the Gretch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman.) That red Harmony and a Fender Deluxe got me through from about 6th grade until I was a junior in high school.

My brother got a cheap crap electric for christmas, think it was a Duke? He never touched it, but I did... Later I rented a strat copy from a shop, it was actually pretty decent, but so far I hadn't even plugged any of them in. Well, I tried to plug the Duke into our home stereo, but the tone was not Axe Fx quallity, to put it mild.
After trying to play to records acoustically with those for a year or so, I had saved up enough money to buy a Ibanez Roadstar and a used Marshall 50w combo. It was a pretty wild experience compared to what I had tried so far...

when I decided to switch from being a cellist to a guitarist in 7th grade, I was lucky enough to be surrounded by friends that already played, so I learned on Fender strats. Fast forward to 10th grade and I finally had enough money saved to buy my first guitar. A 1975 Gibson les Paul Deluxe. $335.00 . I sold it years later when I quit playing (in 1982) but an old friend of mine tracked it down and now owns it , so I get to play it any time I want. Oh ...and he only paid $450.00 for it in 1986 , exactly what I sold it for. If I had only known...... :(

A Yamaha Pacifica and a Line6 Pocket Pod.

I only regret getting the latter (no re-sell value; so this thing went into the trash).
The former, however, is still on my wall and still rocking. Amazing value for the money! I wouldn't mind playing that on stage, even though the plastic pickguard has turned yellow over time and some metal parts could need a polish.

My First Guitar was a Blonde Cameo Les Paul Copy...

The first I got to play around with was my dad's Teisco that he traded for and changed the pick-up in, around 69-70. He gave me that guitar about two years ago, so its priceless.

As far as the first guitar I owned it was a Cameo sunburst strat around 79-80 from a sears catalog. I wanted the Les Paul because of Ace Frehley but my aunt accidently ordered the strat pictured beside it.

Mine was a red Squier Affinity Strat and ten watt amp package from the Argos catalogue. It had a lovely neck on it, really nice figured rosewood fretboard and was actually a joy to play on.

Can't say much for the sound, but I learned a lot on that thing, wore the fretwire down from playing on it hours every night. Unfortunately it got damaged by an alcoholic stepdad beyond repair, so I decided to finish the job and trash it Hendrix style and have experienced first hand how indestructible Fender type guitars are!

Mine was a Decca acoustic I got when I was nine. I really wanted an electric though. When I was about 15, my teacher recommend that I buy an Ibanez Artist Les Paul copy instead of paying more for the Gibson. That's the lawsuit model and I still have it -- though for humbucker tones I prefer my PRS Singlecut. Amp was a POS Peavey Pacer.

Mine was a Peavey Patriot purchased along with a Peavey practice amp from the basement of a local furniture store. Saved up forever to buy 'em. Dad couldn't stand that I'd bought an electric guitar & my sister, upon seeing it, asked if I'd gotten the drugs that must necessarily follow right away or if those would come later (I was 12).

My first guitar was a Spanish classical (my dad bought it from a friend for $35!!!) on which I learned power chords then proceeded to thrash the hell out of until I loaned it to my drummer who totally destroyed it, but good songs and riffs came out of that! I wasn't paying attention to brands and stuff back then (1988) but it was a good guitar, made in Spain. Comparable acoustic guitars today cost at least a couple grand! She died for rocknroll! RIP

Back
Top Bottom