Ah, the new flanger: Thank you!

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ii-firmware-17-00-released-2.html#post1121201

i_told_you_so_stephen_colbert.gif

Yeah. I'm just getting around to my appreciation thread for it...

Merry Christmas, and a funky New Year, everyone!

For those of us who really suck at tweaking, what are the new parameters (or is it new flanger type?) that demonstrate this new flanger? Any specific settings? Presets to share? Thanks...

For those of us who really suck at tweaking, what are the new parameters (or is it new flanger type?) that demonstrate this new flanger? Any specific settings? Presets to share? Thanks...

Good question. I am really happy with the improvements of the flanger block. Was not a big fan of it before and never satisfied with the flanger tones from the Axe. But it seems to be better now. Although I am still confused by the parameters and think it is too over complicated. Because there are so much parameters to consider it seems to be more difficult to dial in good simple three knob pedal type flanger tones very quickly (for me anyway). What is the best algorithm and settings for a classic Electric Mistress type tone (Gilmour, Andy Summers 'like')? Curious how other users dial in this type of flange.

Last edited:
Good question. I am really happy with the improvements of the flanger block. Was not a big fan of it before and never satisfied with the flanger tones from the Axe. But it seems to be better now. Although I am still confused by the parameters and think it is too over complicated. Because there are so much parameters to consider it seems to be more difficult to dial in good simple three knob pedal type flanger tone very quickly (for me anyway). What is the best algorithm and settings for a classic Electric Mistress type tone (Gilmour, Andy Summers 'like')? Curious how other users dial in this type of flange.

It's ok, very subtle effect but no matter what I try just cannot get is sounding like I want it. :eek:

It's ok, very subtle effect but no matter what I try just cannot get is sounding like I want it. :eek:
... and ...

Bodde said:
I am still confused by the parameters and think it is too over complicated. Because there are so much parameters to consider it seems to be more difficult to dial in good simple three knob pedal type flanger tones very quickly

Ok, so I'm not the only one who doesn't know how to appreciate the new flanger. GuitarDojo, pima1234, can you share some tips, settings or even presets?

A flanger adds a slightly delayed copy of the dry signal.

The Time parameter obviously controls the delay time.
Since firmware 17 Time controls the minimum delay time. Keep it low, like under 1 ms.
Depth is the maximum delay time. Of course, its setting doesn't matter as much when Auto Depth is not Off.

The Feedback parameter adds the "jet plane" effect.

Mix usually is kept at 50%.

When old flanger settings don't work with 17.xx, try adjusting Depth first.

What I would love to do is get another Strymon Orbit, patch it into FX loop, and do some comparisons. I spent a long time with the Orbit, so that's what I more familiar with. Before that, I used the Flanger of the Yamaha DG Stomp. That was a nice modeler at the time.

I'm still tweaking it. The effect is more pronounced with some amps/cabs/signal chains than with others. That's very real-to-life.

Good question. I am really happy with the improvements of the flanger block. Was not a big fan of it before and never satisfied with the flanger tones from the Axe. But it seems to be better now. Although I am still confused by the parameters and think it is too over complicated. Because there are so much parameters to consider it seems to be more difficult to dial in good simple three knob pedal type flanger tones very quickly (for me anyway). What is the best algorithm and settings for a classic Electric Mistress type tone (Gilmour, Andy Summers 'like')? Curious how other users dial in this type of flange.

It would be cool if there was a "Basics" Page where it has only about the amount of parameters as an actual equiv. pedal might have. - Then if you want to dive in - just page up to the deep menu.

Just a thought -

It would be cool if there was a "Basics" Page where it has only about the amount of parameters as an actual equiv. pedal might have. - Then if you want to dive in - just page up to the deep menu.

Just a thought -

Good idea! That might work also for many other effect blocks like the Chorus and Rotary and pedal Compressor. For most of those you only need three knobs to get a good basic sound like the hardware pedals.

... and ...

Ok, so I'm not the only one who doesn't know how to appreciate the new flanger. GuitarDojo, pima1234, can you share some tips, settings or even presets?

It's not a case of not appreciating it I've tweaked it loads and still can't get the van Halen type sweepy flange effect. It is a great subtle flanger but still needs some tweaking. Just depends on what sound you are after with it.

Just a thought -

I think this would be too demanding (maintenance-wise) for Fractal to implement. With the blocks continuously improving, keeping a "basics" page could be difficult.

How about an area of the wiki to illustrate common basic settings for "famous" pedals? I have a distortion pedal, which I don't use anymore, but which (a) sounds fantastic, and (b) provides in the instruction manual about a dozen settings for "popular" tones, from slightly overdriven to hot-rodded-Marshall-in-a-box. This "quick recipe" handbook is incredibly useful for those of us (myself included) who are not necessarily good at tweaking several settings. Such resources in the Wiki would be phenomenal. For example, in the flanger section, it could provide quick settings for a EVH tone, other settings for a Strymon Orbit, etc. Not sure how easy it would be to maintain when new features are added or when block parameters are changed in new firmware which has an impact on existing settings.

For the VH sound you need to be sure to put the flanger after the amp block.

Are we talking flanger for "VH1" through at least "Fair Warning"?

Okay, I'm putting my ass on the line by questioning the authority behind that statement, but "after" the amp block... ? I'm I reading this right?

I've been following VH since their debut in 78, and using the MXR gray flanger (M117) since it don't know when, but to my ear the flanger block sounds best "before" the amp block to nail the authentic VH sound (that and the Phase 90). Eddie was a dirty boy, the flanger "after" the amp block sound too pristine, bright and studio produced... but that's IMHO.

For the record... I've been able get that VH MXR (M117) with the Axe FX, no problem. Even before the "rewrite" it was pretty damn close (thanks to Yek and others, for sharing parameters).

Sorry, I'm not trying to create controversy as in other recent threads, just had to share my experienced opinion.

Okay, I'll go stand in the corner and put the triangle hat on my head now.

I think this would be too demanding (maintenance-wise) for Fractal to implement. With the blocks continuously improving, keeping a "basics" page could be difficult.

How about an area of the wiki to illustrate common basic settings for "famous" pedals? I have a distortion pedal, which I don't use anymore, but which (a) sounds fantastic, and (b) provides in the instruction manual about a dozen settings for "popular" tones, from slightly overdriven to hot-rodded-Marshall-in-a-box. This "quick recipe" handbook is incredibly useful for those of us (myself included) who are not necessarily good at tweaking several settings. Such resources in the Wiki would be phenomenal. For example, in the flanger section, it could provide quick settings for a EVH tone, other settings for a Strymon Orbit, etc. Not sure how easy it would be to maintain when new features are added or when block parameters are changed in new firmware which has an impact on existing settings.

+10000

Sent from my iPhone

Are we talking flanger for "VH1" through at least "Fair Warning"?

Okay, I'm putting my ass on the line by questioning the authority behind that statement, but "after" the amp block... ? I'm I reading this right?

I've been following VH since their debut in 78, and using the MXR gray flanger (M117) since it don't know when, but to my ear the flanger block sounds best "before" the amp block to nail the authentic VH sound (that and the Phase 90). Eddie was a dirty boy, the flanger "after" the amp block sound too pristine, bright and studio produced... but that's IMHO.

Legendary Tones - Edward Van Halen's "Brown Sound"

Back
Top Bottom