Aggressive Recto

harsh

Inspired

Since I'm always leaning towards a 5150 sound, I thought I'd try my hand at a Dual Rectifier this time. I chose Lamb of God's "Ruin" for that aggressive flavour on the rhythm guitar. I realise the album was a mix of the Mesa MKIV and a Framus cobra, but I think the Recto Modern sim comes very close to the tones on the album. Thoughts?

yeah man sounds good \M/ I did a LOG tone using just the Mark IV model , the AXE comes very close to the typical LOG sound .

Cheers, guys. I used an Ibanez 870QM with Bareknuckle Aftermaths. The patch was very simple - just an OD808 clean boost into the Recto sim, into the OH Recto cab. Everything tweaked to flavour, of course. The solo was on a 5150 sim.

Might be a touch under gained.

Have you ever heard an isolated guitar track? Specifically Mark Morton? Watch some videos of him playing with his Boogies and see how little gain he uses. Remember that gain is collective. If you have both guitars and bass with gain in their tone/sound it all adds up to a lot of gain. You'd be surprised at how little gain is used in professional recordings.

+1, Fabio.

I actually think I've already used too much gain. Even the slightest amount of gain over this adds fizz and actually makes the tone less ballsy.

I think it might be a little 'undergained', but if so, very little. I like the way your guitars really cut through the mix.

Nicely done.

I know that more recently LOG has been all MKIV and MKV but i think that album may actually have been a dual rec. Im sure the vid for Ruin has Duals on the stage and that album was produced by Devin Townsend who loves a dual rec....

Have you ever heard an isolated guitar track? Specifically Mark Morton? Watch some videos of him playing with his Boogies and see how little gain he uses. Remember that gain is collective. If you have both guitars and bass with gain in their tone/sound it all adds up to a lot of gain. You'd be surprised at how little gain is used in professional recordings.

I certainly have sir, and I agree whole heatedly. But you can also fall into an under gaining trap too. There is over gained, tight, and under gained for me, and this one sits just shallow of tight for my ears. I tend to find under gained guitars can sound a little stiff in the mid range, which is what I found a bit with this clip (i've been a big culprit of undergaining too often). Was the axe fx's unmodded tube screamer on this?

Just my 2 cents though, it's all subjective at the end of the day :D

Last edited:
I certainly have sir, and I agree whole heatedly. But you can also fall into an under gaining trap too. There is over gained, tight, and under gained for me, and this one sits just shallow of tight for my ears. I tend to find under gained guitars can sound a little stiff in the mid range, which is what I found a bit with this clip (i've been a big culprit of undergaining too often). Was the axe fx's unmodded tube screamer on this?

Just my 2 cents though, it's all subjective at the end of the day :D

Fair enough. I personally would have loved to use more gain, but the guitars get fizzy/thin beyond this. If you A/B my mix against the original, the guitars are VERY close, and I actually prefer my tone to the original (not boasting - we are just blessed with better technology than what existed 10 yrs ago). If anything, I would add more low end to the mix, especially to the drums. Tell you what - as soon as I have more time, I'll re-do the mix with more gain and let you decide what's better. And yes, I had the unmodded tubescreamer on a clean boost.

I know that more recently LOG has been all MKIV and MKV but i think that album may actually have been a dual rec. Im sure the vid for Ruin has Duals on the stage and that album was produced by Devin Townsend who loves a dual rec....

I used the Recto after seeing the video, but one of my producer friends is pretty sure it was a Mark. Not much on the net about what gear was used, other than people guessing: Did Lamb of God use Mark IVs on As The Palaces Bur... - Harmony Central

Back
Top Bottom