AFX3.. yeh or ney

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
OK. Not quite as obvious as the title suggests.

I used to be very active on this forum a few years back - but things changed lol.

Ive used an AFX since 2008. Firstly a standard then a 1st gen AF2 that I still have. I mostly run via a power amp and real cab except when recording.

ANYWAY, i upgraded from the standard to the 2 quite early on as the improvements ion amp sims were pretty obvious. When the 3 was announced I had literally just spend £2k on a stage piano (to learn) and have since put a lot of money into my live keys rig (I play in 2 bands as a keys player but really only play guitar at home for pleasure and recording these days). The money was better spent developing that rig.

Well - 3 years on and its pretty complete. I have no space for more keys gear (and have more than I need for live use as well). Im now looking at the AFX3 again.

Thing is - Im a pretty simple guy lol. Even now my patches tend to have an amp sim, a drive pedal (rarely used but nice to have), reverb and a delay for leads. I may occasionally use a chorus of phaser. Thats about it. As I run PA/cab my AF2 still keeps up CPU wise with my needs.

So - the only REAL reason (apart from nice shiny new gear) is the amp sims. Early on I wasnt hearing any real improvement in that respect from the 2. It was obvious where the improvements WERE - much nicer screen, more inputs/outputs. Bigger grid, more power to run complex patches.... but for a one amp, one drive, reverb and delay guy thats not really that important.

So - after 3 years of development, have the amp sims made any significant (or even any) improvements to warrant the change and associated outlay (especially given Id need to replace my 101 with an FC12 as well really). Im in the position I can afford it - but its a lot of money for small if any improvements for my use. If its definitely an improvement I'll go for it - but if not Ill stick the money away and wait the 5 years for the 4 lol.

Last edited:

I used to be very active on this forum a few years back - but things changed lol.

Ive used an AFX since 2008. Firstly a standard then a 1st gen AF2 that I still have. I mostly run via a power amp and real cab except when recording.

ANYWAY, i upgraded from the standard to the 2 quite early on as the improvements ion amp sims were pretty obvious. When the 3 was announced I had literally just spend £2+ on a stage piano (to learn) and have since put a lot of money into my live keys rig (I play in 2 bands as a keys player but really only play guitar at home recording these days). The money was better spent developing that rig.

Well - 3 years on and its pretty complete. I have no space for more keys gear (and have more than I need for live use as well). Im now looking at the AFX3 again.

Thing is - Im a pretty simple guy lol. Even now my patches tend to have an amp sim, a drive pedal (rarely used but nice to have), reverb and a delay for leads. I may occasionally use a chorus of phaser. Thats about it. As I run PA/cab my AF2 still keeps up CPU wise with my needs.

So - the only REAL reason (apart from nice shiny new gear) is the amp sims. Early on I wasnt hearing any real improvement in that respect from the 2. It was obvious where the improvements WERE - much nicer screen, more inputs/outputs. Bigger grid, more power to run complex patches.... but for a one amp, one drive, reverb and delay guy thats not really that important.

So - after 3 years of development, have the amp sims made any significant (or even any) improvements to warrant the change and associated outlay (especially given Id need to replace my 101 with an FC12 as well really). Im in the position I can afford it - but its a lot of money for small if any improvements for my use. If its definitely an improvement I'll go for it - but if not Ill stick the money away and wait the 5 years for the 4 lol.

Yeh!!!!!!!!!!!!! + 1000 + 16

ANYWAY, i upgraded from the standard to the 2 quite early on as the improvements ion amp sims were pretty obvious. When the 3 was announced I had literally just spend £2+ on a stage piano (to learn) and have since put a lot of money into my live keys rig (I play in 2 bands as a keys player but really only play guitar at home recording these days). The money was better spent developing that rig.

As someone, who started with a First Gen. Standard Axefx, then got the first Gen. Axefx II, later an Ax8, and an Axefx II XL, I can say, that the improvements (not only the amp-simulations) really are a big deal. The Axefx II can still compete with everything on the market (except the III ;-), but some of the amp models, I would have never used in the II, have been updated dramatically.
If you don't use too many FX, and don't want to use dual amp setups or don't need almost unlimited routing/reamping/DAW options...maybe you should take a closer look to the FM3. A good friend has one, and it sounds exactly like the III.

I sold both my Helix and Kemper to purchase the Axe-FX III Mark 2. So Yea. Why? Because I've owned 2 different versions of the Axe-FX over the years, and the Axe-FX III Mark II with the new Cygnus firmware is the only Axe that I've owned that I just turn on and "play" guitar. I don't knob-dick for 30 minutes. It's that simple.

As someone, who started with a First Gen. Standard Axefx, then got the first Gen. Axefx II, later an Ax8, and an Axefx II XL, I can say, that the improvements (not only the amp-simulations) really are a big deal. The Axefx II can still compete with everything on the market (except the III ;-), but some of the amp models, I would have never used in the II, have been updated dramatically.
If you don't use too many FX, and don't want to use dual amp setups or don't need almost unlimited routing/reamping/DAW options...maybe you should take a closer look to the FM3. A good friend has one, and it sounds exactly like the III.
I did look at the FM3 - but I need more buttons so would have to add the FC12 anyway (12 is enough with double press). It is significantly cheaper of course, but I have the rack, and more limited floor space. Id actually struggle more getting the FM3 plus FC12 into a space than the AFX3. ill look at how Id streamline FS usage and see if the FC6 would be enough - I may get that to work and space wise its probably about the same as the FC12 on its own?

Ive thought about adding a kemper a few times - and also the new Quad Cortex that sounds like it takes the profiling thing even closer to real amps (though its more limited ion other ways) HOWEVER, I have always been someone who has a tone in his head rather than hearing a tone and thinking wish I could get that. As such the Fractal methodology just suits my mind and workflow better.

Why not just get the FM3?
see post above. Basically lack of buttons, and floorspace if I add an FC to the FM3. I also use a G90 relay rack mount wireless - so actually running cables is much more of a PITA than the rack unit.

Another point, is the rack sits on my PC desk to the left at eye level. Playing with front panel of the rack unit is much more user friendly than bending down with my 53 year old back tp play with the floor unit. Yes I know the Axe-Edit makes PC editing easier - but honestly, even now I prefer designing on the AFX2 than the editor.... I expect to feel even more that way with a AFX3/FM2

see post above. Basically lack of buttons, and floorspace if I add an FC to the FM3. I also use a G90 relay rack mount wireless - so actually running cables is much more of a PITA than the rack unit.
If you go with a III, how would you control it? FC6 or FC12? A 12 is about as big as an FM3 + an FC6 (wouldn't improve the cable situation though). You can do a lot with an FM3 + two external switches (smaller footprint).

If you go with a III, how would you control it? FC6 or FC12? A 12 is about as big as an FM3 + an FC6 (wouldn't improve the cable situation though). You can do a lot with an FM3 + two external switches (smaller footprint).
FC12. Ive dont the button mapping already lol. Despite my limited routing, I do seem to need lots of buttons lol. I wasnt sure 12 would b enough but with the duel; press function it will. The FM3 plus FC6 may not quite be enough - Ill have to think and map out the options.

Ill have a closer look at the FM3.... though G66 have both AFX3 and FC12 in stock - but not the FM3.... I have no patience once Ive made a choice.

For footswitch control Id want the following (I dont use scenes).

Bank up and bank down
Direct access to 5 presets (probably - hence accessed with bank up and down).

Note with these 2 - I havent look deep into how that would work with the 3 and FC - its how I use my MFC.

I then want 4 buttons to access the 4 channels (mainly in the amp block - so each patch is like a 4 channel amp) and one for a solo volume lift. Id then want 1 each for drive pedal, reverb, delay, chorus/phaser (that I use on occasion). Id also want access to the tuner and tap tempo (for delay times).

So - all in all, Id need 10 instant buttons (quick tap) and then 8 long taps (for the patches, bank up and down and tuner). its the 10 instant ones Id need to look at streamlining (those being 4 for channels, 1 for drive, 1 for vol, 1 each for reverb, delay, chorus/phaser) and finally one for tap.

Last edited:
My $.02, the FM3 will serve you well if your needs stay at your current requirements. If you are likely to expand the use of the device the AF3 has more patching options (for your studio use). It will get the latest firmware before FM3 and it is guaranteed that it has the resources to run any and all features of future firmware changes (and CPU to run High Quality demanding effects, such as Virtual Capo, Plex Delay and Reverbs in the same complex preset). For live use the portability of the FM3 is hard to beat.

Just presenting some other points of view. I have both and if I had to choose one, and affordability is not an issue, it would be the AF3.

If you’re happy with what you have now, you can just stick with it, of course. Then again ...

I got my first Axe-FX in June of 2007. I’ve upgraded to new versions along the way; Axe-FX III mk2 now. I’ve always been happy with what I got when stepping up and REALLY happy with the Axe-FX III mk2 and Cignus.

None of these hardware upgrades were necessary, for my real needs. The original was pretty great and a big step up from what I’d been using (ADA MP-1, MP-2, VG-8, 88, 99, etc).

If I were buying a Fractal product for the first time, didn’t need/want rack mount, and were being practical for my use, I think I’d go with the FM3.

If you want the latest amp modelling tech (Cygnus) then AF3 is the only option

However, to my ears, the difference doesn't mean a lot to me. Your mileage may vary.

Why oh why can't people listen! OP has explained the reasons for wanting the Axe III. I have both the FM3 and Axe III and the FM3 could more than handle what I need but I choose the Axe III week to week for really no good reason. It's what I choose to use whether you think it's overkill or wasting its "potential". Not your call.

Back on topic, I had an AX8 and was happy with the tones I got from it. Bought the Axe III at FW 3.00 and after AX8's Ares portion, they sounded similar. Through the firmware revisions, however, the tone of the Axe III has drastically "improved". Now the difference in tone between the Axe III and the AX8 is very evident.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom