AFX3 embedded tuner: Best Tuner I ever owned!!

I’m brand new here guys. I’ve been away from the scene for years but after retiring recently I’m starting over. I look forward to being part of the music world again.
As far as the tuner goes the strobe is the way to go for setups. I build guitars too and I’ve using a strobe my brother built for me years back.

It's just " IMHO" that if the encoder were allowed to go beyond the 10c increment (past 430) these issues would just "dissapear"
I think the problem is that you're trying to use calibration and/or offsets to get basic transposed tunings. Those together can only change the tuning by about a quarter step in either direction. Just leave them at 440 Hz and 0 cents.

There's a "downtune" parameter if you want the notes to say EADGBE when tuned down a half or whole step. Or you can leave downtune at 0 and tune to E♭-A♭-D♭-G♭-B♭-E♭ or D-G-C-F-A-D.

A wider calibration range to shift A down a semitone from (440 --> 415.3 Hz) wouldn't be any more or less accurate than either of those methods.

WHile I'm sure that this tuner is perfect for you pepps with the apparent condescending , and please forgive me if I read it wrong, attiutde about this tuner.....

Those of us that go into forums to seek advice or help or whatever, tend to NOT go back to those forums, just because of the types of post.
My post was in response to your post that demonstrated the exact behavior you are criticizing here. Your sarcasm was directed at someone who didn't understand your problem, but was trying to help. We all could benefit from clearer communication, patience, and courtesy.

My post was in response to your post that demonstrated the exact behavior you are criticizing here. Your sarcasm was directed at someone who didn't understand your problem, but was trying to help. We all could benefit from clearer communication, patience, and courtesy.
Exactly. Before coming back with a snarky response, ask yourself if it's possible you're reading into the comment something that wasn't said, or meant. If it's not clear, then just simply ask another question.
There's a lot of communication that goes unexpressed with just the written word. There's no body language, and little voice inflection. Plus, people don't know what you already know, or do not know. So what may seem to be an obvious answer, was probably not intended to be.
Also, saying, "I wasn't asking you" is not needed.
If you tend to not "go back to those forums", ask yourself if it's possible you're part of the reason.
Just my 2 cents...

seriously? MY response wasnt "snarkey" however I've seen yours like that all over this forum.. don't throw the first stone
It might be a good idea to start a wishlist thread on what you are trying to get across instead of hijacking a review thread. Keep it as simple, straightforward and to the point as possible to avoid misunderstanding sometimes language barriers can make simple things seem condescending when they really are not meant that way.

I just discovered the James Taylor You Tube video on his tuning method using slightly sharp and flat tuning using cents. Coincidentally ,by way of algorithm, I also saw the new Paul Davids' video from today regarding the same thing and crediting James with this method. Can I assume the AXE FX III tuner can do the cents thing accurately? I know the needle jumps back and forth and you cannot dig in on the strings while tuning, but does it work well for cents?

I just discovered the James Taylor You Tube video on his tuning method using slightly sharp and flat tuning using cents. Coincidentally ,by way of algorithm, I also saw the new Paul Davids' video from today regarding the same thing and crediting James with this method. Can I assume the AXE FX III tuner can do the cents thing accurately? I know the needle jumps back and forth and you cannot dig in on the strings while tuning, but does it work well for cents?
I think so.
I set my tuner offsets for -2.3/E&e, -.4/D, & -2.1/A cents, then just tune normally. Axe does the heavy lifting.
From what I can tell, these offsets work nicely to make any chord sound "correct," since with using equal-temperament, there are trade-offs.

I think so.
I set my tuner offsets for -2.3/E&e, -.4/D, & -2.1/A cents, then just tune normally. Axe does the heavy lifting.
From what I can tell, these offsets work nicely to make any chord sound "correct," since with using equal-temperament, there are trade-offs.

Been using these tuner offset settings & they work brilliantly! Picked this tip up from Cooper Carter (8:05 of the video) and then kind of forgot about it.

I would like to be able to hit the tuner button, then have the ABCDE buttons as selectable tunings/offsets. Those of us you use guitars with Buzz Feiten offsets and regular guitars without it have to go through the page menu and scroll down and then turn off/on the offset option. Seems doable right?

I am a new AFX3 owner. The first time I hit the tuner switch I was amazed at how great a tuner it is! I agree that it’s the best tuner I have used, short of a stand-alone Conn Strobotuner that a studio had where I was a young studio musician many, many years ago!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom