AFX3 embedded tuner: Best Tuner I ever owned!!

fab-gm

Inspired
I'm a FAS newbie and after weeks of using intensively this unit, just wanted to send extra points for people still considering buying this amazing unit and point out one extra goodie you get by becoming a FAS product owner:
- The large screen combined with stable readings and a STROBE makes it so great to tune your guitar!!!
FYI good hardware tuners with similar functionality as in AFX3 cost a lot of $$$.

IMO for that great tool only, it is worth considering having a remote control LOL :)

Thank you again fractal!

Last edited:
Totally agree. I have a bunch of stand alone tuners and this is the best of the bunch. It's equally as accurate as my Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-300 or Peterson iPhone app (I tested them out using a splitter box.) One of the things I like is that it not only gives you the name of the note along with the strobe but also the exact frequency that is being produced.

I use the Axe III tuner more than any tuner and for a non-dedicated tuner it is pretty awesome. It is kinda jumpy on the low strings of my acoustic guitars with saddle pickups though.
I do wish they would increase the frequency range of A to something higher than 430hz to 450hz since many classic songs just can't be tuned in that narrow range. I also get annoyed waiting for the boot-up process to finish since the tuner is laggy for 20-30 seconds (even on my Mk2 Turbo), but that I can live with. Also wish there were more sweetened tuning slots available . I know I'm asking a lot which is why I just went ahead and bought a StroboPlus HDC for when my OCD needs satisfying. :laughing:

I also get annoyed waiting for the boot-up process to finish since the tuner is laggy for 20-30 seconds (even on my Mk2 Turbo), but that I can live with.
When the unit is booting up, once the initial progress bar has completed, the unit switches from loading the presets to loading the cabs in the background. It’s responsive enough to navigate and use but is still not able to dedicate all its processing to normal tasks. Once those are loaded it’s back to normal.

It does this so we can get to work more quickly for “normal” tasks, whatever those are deemed to be. Typically I power it up, start the editor, then grab a cup of something to drink, and get my guitar and everything is ready to go.

I would love for it to support alternate tunings, that is, different name-able tuning sets where each string can be specified in a set.
Wouldn't it just be easier to memorize the tunings? Or have a reference sheet listing them out? Maybe I misunderstood what you're saying though.

Wouldn't it just be easier to memorize the tunings? Or have a reference sheet listing them out? Maybe I misunderstood what you're saying though.
Yeah I'm just saying basically that it would be nice to be able to enter the reference sheet into a menu and then be able to select an entry to be displayed on the tuner screen maybe on either side of the strobe or behind it or something so the last tuning reference is always showing there right on the screen. So really just a scratchpad capability for remembering different tunings.

Okay, I understand. I think with time you would end up not using that feature at all if it were there. You would just memorize the tunings and tune your strings without hitting any buttons on the tuner. I change tunings on my guitar like a crazy person because I refuse to compromise on playing something else because my guitar isn't currently in the tuning of the song I really want to play. By the time I would've selected the tuning reference I want, I could have already tuned a string or two with the chromatic tuner. I think that's why they don't put that into most high-end tuners.

Okay, I understand. I think with time you would end up not using that feature at all if it were there. You would just memorize the tunings and tune your strings without hitting any buttons on the tuner. I change tunings on my guitar like a crazy person because I refuse to compromise on playing something else because my guitar isn't currently in the tuning of the song I really want to play. By the time I would've selected the tuning reference I want, I could have already tuned a string or two with the chromatic tuner. I think that's why they don't put that into most high-end tuners.
Yeah you are probably right for the most part while I am active with it. But I am a multi-instrumentalist often going off in different directions in my studio and sometimes I tend to walk away from the rig for a while just long enough to forget what I was last doing there. So it's more of a longer term problem that I'm trying optimize in whatever way I might be able to get the gear to help me with. It's not a big deal. I have this problem with my whole system of contraptions.

I guess you didnt see the () aound Ab 1/2 step short for whatever you wish to call it.. drop tune 1/2 step down is Ab (Ab)..just offsetting the tuner does not get it 100% right was what I was saying..
Why not just tune your string to Ab? I'm scratching my head too because the tuner just tells you the note. It's up to you to determine what notes you want to tune to.

Because the tuner is not just for getting a string in Ab.. it's about tuning flawlessly (or as close as possible), and for setting intonations.. lets see some one intonate by that method.. And I say that in the nicest way I can..
The tuner is extremely accurate and can be used for intonation purposes as well. Tune the open string and then fret at the 12th fret and adjust your saddles accordingly. Just like you would with any other reference-grade tuner.

Because the tuner is not just for getting a string in Ab.. it's about tuning flawlessly (or as close as possible), and for setting intonations.. lets see some one intonate by that method.. And I say that in the nicest way I can..
Tune the open string so it reads perfect, then check it at the 12th fret.

it's great for what it is... it is NOT perfect.
For sure, no product is perfect and nobody said so, but your discussion seems like a specific RFE (Request For Enhancement).
I would appreciate if you continue on it if you'd like in a more specific thread than this one please.

My intention in this thread for this was just to express my satisfaction about the tuner for which I did not expect such a quality as a side-product of the modeler (that we just get for free already full-featured they could have delivered the strobe as a paid option as an example) and that maybe potential new users might not realize how great it is (already) on the top of the great sound they get when they buy this unit.
Sometimes I feel we are really spoiled here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom