AFX2 As Interface for Mic Preamp?

If that's true, that's pretty sweet because I'd be able to sell my Focusrite interface and my Studio Projects preamp. Then when I want to mic my Mark IV, I could just plug the mic into the VTB-1 and then feed that to the Axe.

Last edited:
If that's true, that's pretty sweet because I'd be able to sell my Focusrite interface and my Studio Projects preamp. Then when I want to mic my Mark IV, I could just plug the mic into the VTB-1 and then feed that to the Axe.

The real test would be to hear the vocals through the axe... but do you guys know if it would sound good? I'm sure it's a high quality preamp... but it's been made with instruments in mind.

Any thoughts here?

Thanks!

The real test would be to hear the vocals through the axe... but do you guys know if it would sound good? I'm sure it's a high quality preamp... but it's been made with instruments in mind.

Any thoughts here?

Thanks!

Thats what I was thinking and it would be amazing if it sounded good for vocals!

There is a difference between instrument level and mic level signals that might cause an issue, but with the EQ and a tweakable feed-forward style compressor onboard...Could be great!

With the new technology on board, I would advise recording the vocals/whatever you're feeding the mic into the DAW, and then sending that track to the Axe II via USB for reamping to see if you like it, and if you don't you still have the original track.

That USB port opened up an absolutely incredible amount of newfound versatility.

If nothing else, you can use the EQ and compressor blocks on the vocals to shape them however you'd like, and save yourself the use of a few plugins on your computer. I'm sure the effects would sound fine. Many of the algorithms are on Eventide par, and people have certainly gone as far as to use Eventide stuff on vocals before.

The Axe-Fx Standard/Ultra had a "Tube Pre" amp that is great for vocals. However, this amp has been removed in the Axe-Fx 2.

There is a difference between instrument level and mic level signals that might cause an issue, but with the EQ and a tweakable feed-forward style compressor onboard...Could be great!

That's why you use an external Mic Preamp with the balanced line-level inputs on the back of the Axe-Fx. Theoretically you should be able to use a patch with shunts from one end of the grid to the other that way.

But if I kept my mic Preamp, fed the mic into that and then sent that to the Axe II, and in theory, set up a patch with nothing but shunts, should that work for micing real amps into the DAW?

To be clear, the Axe FX II is not a mic pre-amp. In other words, you shouldn't plug a regular studio mic directly into it. You need to get a Neve 1073 preamp or (use any other mic preamp:) and take the balanced +4dB line level output from that preamp and run it into the balanced +4 inputs on the back of the Axe FX II. The Axe FX II will act as the analog to digital converter and send the digitized signal to the computer down the USB line, with or without the addition of digital effects from the Axe FX II.

Mic > mic Preamp > Axe FX II > DAW via USB

Last edited:
To be clear, the Axe FX II is not a mic pre-amp. In other words, you shouldn't plug a regular studio mic directly into it. You need to get a Neve 1073 preamp or (use any other mic preamp) and take the balanced +4dB line level output from that preamp and run it into the balanced +4 inputs on the back of the Axe FX II. The Axe FX II will act as the analog to digital converter and send the digitized signal to the computer down the USB line, with or without the addition of digital effects from the Axe FX II.

Yes. You need to spend $3k on a Neve preamp. :roll

What relaxo is saying is right, however. Use an outboard preamp and you should be good to go.

Howver, if you go through the Axe all the naysayers will say your vocals are not really vocals. In order for them to be real they must pass through a tube. ;-)

@Relaxo, I think a better chain would be this (as suggested in my earlier post.)

Mic-->Mic preamp-->DAW

Track from DAW-->Axe-FX II-->DAW

This avoids the conflict of input jacks/signal levels with the Axe, and removes one element from the original signal chain of the vocal track.

Also, reamping a track while listening to it seems like a very efficient way to work. Much more efficient than trying to tweak with live signal.

@Relaxo, I think a better chain would be this (as suggested in my earlier post.)

Mic-->Mic preamp-->DAW

Track from DAW-->Axe-FX II-->DAW

This avoids the conflict of input jacks/signal levels with the Axe, and removes one element from the original signal chain of the vocal track.

Also, reamping a track while listening to it seems like a very efficient way to work. Much more efficient than trying to tweak with live signal.

I think you're missing the point here. In the above you are assuming his mic preamp does AD conversion and has some type of digital connectivity directly into his DAW (ie. computer).
This person (and I) want to know the feasibility of being able to sell off another (lesser quality?) audio interface which is basically doing his AD conversion (ie. input into his DAW) and use the AxeFX II in it's place.
As mentioned above this should absolutely be doable. I do little to no live instrumentation right now (well, I don't do ANY because I haven't decided on an audio interface) so for me the AxeFX II will be IT. Then, if/when I start to consider micing live instruments or voice I can spend more on a decent dedicated mic pre with balanced line out that will go into the AxeFX II rear input for recording.
The only "issue" is that when tracking through the pre you will manually have to reset your input on the AxeFX to rear input from front / instrument but that's not a big deal. Assuming the AD convertors are as good as FAS says, I'm wondering if you won't see a nice quality jump compared to using a lesser quality audio interface for recording. Plus you get the benefit of using internal AxeFX FX's in the chain when printing your track if you see fit.
And of course you can always reamp this track as well as mentioned by FreaqyFrequency
user-offline.png

Back
Top Bottom