AFX II Leslie simulation

So now you can get that growling, throbbing Leslie sound and hopefully everyone will be happy.
"Wah!! The new firmware will use more CPU!" :p
Or you're not struggling as much with assembler as you used to?
icon_mrgreen.gif

The secret is out: Cliff is able to condense weeks into 1 day! :shock

Last edited:
Okay, so I added an LF mic width control so you can make the rotor mono and a power amp simulation with a drive control. I also revisited the angle-dependent frequency response stuff I had worked on a couple years ago and found why I could never get that to sound right and added that. So now you can get that growling, throbbing Leslie sound and hopefully everyone will be happy.

Let's all say it together:

THIS IS WHY WE OWN AN AXE-FX II!!!

You're the man, Cliff. Thanks!

This is ridiculous! I just recovered from the anticipation of 6.0, and now I already can't wait for 6.01 (rotary; 5153).

Cliff, could you slow your roll a little?

Okay, so I added an LF mic width control so you can make the rotor mono and a power amp simulation with a drive control. I also revisited the angle-dependent frequency response stuff I had worked on a couple years ago and found why I could never get that to sound right and added that. So now you can get that growling, throbbing Leslie sound and hopefully everyone will be happy.

Wow! Thanks Cliff!

Can someone with a real Leslie do some IRs of the (parked) speaker?
Will do once I figure how to "park" it safely - This will be done with the 1969 Cordovox CL-30 featured in my youtube demos above, mic'd w a Shure SM-57. This is in fact a verbatim re-badged Fender Vibratone, same specs, identical cabinet, same factory, same speaker (vintage) and same Leslie tone.
I may try doing a 2nd IR with it actually running at the slow speed as well, just to see what happens. (Can't hurt) The electronics, vintage 1969 Sprague Orange Drops and such inside seem to add some special MOJO flavor/color to the output, so if I can park it by bypassing the rotor motor power supply it may give the best result as the electronics will still be hitting the signal. They certainly impact the overall tone.

I will go ahead and do my Suhr Badger 1x12" cabinet with Eminence 12" Red Fang as well while I am at it. It should sit very well under an AC-15 and the new Blankenship LEEDS 18w amps.

I will try to have them up by tomorrow afternoon.

Will do once I figure how to "park" it safely - This will be done with the 1969 Cordovox CL-30 featured in my youtube demos above, mic'd w a Shure SM-57. This is in fact a verbatim re-badged Fender Vibratone, same specs, identical cabinet, same factory, same speaker (vintage) and same Leslie tone.
I may try doing a 2nd IR with it actually running at the slow speed as well, just to see what happens. (Can't hurt) The electronics, vintage 1969 Sprague Orange Drops and such inside seem to add some special MOJO flavor/color to the output, so if I can park it by bypassing the rotor motor power supply it may give the best result as the electronics will still be hitting the signal. They certainly impact the overall tone.

I will go ahead and do my Suhr Badger 1x12" cabinet with Eminence 12" Red Fang as well while I am at it. It should sit very well under an AC-15 and the new Blankenship LEEDS 18w amps.

I will try to have them up by tomorrow afternoon.

How is the speaker connected? Can you disconnect it from the Cordovox' power amp & drive it from a flat SS power amp? That would be ideal - to just get the speaker IR. Do you have any reference mics that you could use in addition to the SM57?

I didn't model the amp in the Rotary block since that will consume CPU. I can add that (it's pretty straightforward) but if I do, prepare for the onslaught of "the new firmware uses more CPU, wah" threads.
Please add that. I'm happily awaiting to be slaughtered :)

HAWT DAWG!!! Thanks for that amazingly fast response Cliff - just outstanding support! 8)

I would offer the Neo Ventilator as another fantastic Leslie sim, along with the Strymon and H&K Rotosphere. I used to like the Leslie in my Electro 2, but the Neo blew me away. It is just a tad smoother, and I love the braking on it.

Another HUGE vote for the preamp sim. Would be so very cool if it could be a choice, maybe like we have choices of delay types (for one)? Unless enable/disable would allow for conservation of cpu while still affording the rest of the Rotary block features.

Can someone with a real Leslie do some IRs of the (parked) speaker?

My Photo Stream_00001.jpgMy Photo Stream_00002.jpg

The speaker was not parked for this IR, as that just did not sound good. I hit a pair of SM-57's on each side port and a RODE NT-1000 Condenser out front for room. This is a pretty good idea of how a leslie cabinet sounds.

Cordovox CL-30 AKA Fender Vibratone cabinet. IR captured while operating at low spin.

I tried this on Factory Preset 018 / Shiver Clean turn off rev and delay - change cabinets (Both L and R) to be this one. turn on rotary (hit reveal if using MFC-101) and drop rate to be 1.20 for an accurate low speed. reduce mix (pg. 2) to be 58%. (a Leslie does not sound like a pulsing high mix ratio in real life) Toggle drive if needed (sounds nice) BUT reduce Drive to 3.00, level to 5.50 and hit tone up to 7.00. Play with guitar volume and experiment a bit.

Sounds very good no drive and volume knob rolled off for clean. Also nice on the Fenders and more.

Let me know what you think.

ADMIN - I can redo as needed please message me if specific needs.

This file is an IR = USER CAB. - THIS IS NOT A PRESET - IMPORT AS A USER CAB.

Attachments

• C-Vox Leslie (KL).syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
View attachment 11309

View attachment 11310View attachment 11311

The speaker was not parked for this IR, as that just did not sound good. I hit a pair of SM-57's on each side port and a RODE NT-1000 Condenser out front for room. This is a pretty good idea of how a leslie cabinet sounds.

Cordovox CL-30 AKA Fender Vibratone cabinet. IR captured while operating at low spin.

I tried this on Factory Preset 018 / Shiver Clean turn off rev and delay - change cabinets (Both L and R) to be this one. turn on rotary (hit reveal if using MFC-101) and drop rate to be 1.20 for an accurate low speed. reduce mix (pg. 2) to be 58%. (a Leslie does not sound like a pulsing high mix ratio in real life) Toggle drive if needed (sounds nice) BUT reduce Drive to 3.00, level to 5.50 and hit tone up to 7.00. Play with guitar volume and experiment a bit.

Sounds very good no drive and volume knob rolled off for clean. Also nice on the Fenders and more.

Let me know what you think.

ADMIN - I can redo as needed please message me if specific needs.

it does not work for me if what I've got to do is import it as a usercab?

Well, sound is an important part of this whole thing now isn't it?

Try the new one in the above post (Edited @ 9:29am). It has been fixed as far as I can tell. I downloaded it and auditioned it from AXE-Manage (the last one failed for me too) - this one has SOUND. Authentic sound.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom