AFX feedback

Trazan

Experienced
Still stuggling with the AFX starting to feedback much earlier than I'm used to with tube amps. Both low and high pitched feeds. Anyone out there playing loud that have experienced the same? I don't play loud usually, but at some gigs I need to, or want to 8) It's hard to get to the same saturation/compression level without feedback.

Today I also dicovered something...the AFX can feedback all by itself! It gets very "microphonic" at hi gain. Tapping the top cover I get a pretty loud B, sligthly flat. I can turn down the guitar completely, increase gain and the AFX starts feeding back at the A below. The AFX is next to amp/cab, not on top of the cab.

So, you guys have a slightly flat B too, or another note? 8)
Any wievs on the feedback issue contra tube amps?

A microphonic AFX seems weird. No feedback issues here. What amp/cab are you using? Can you a preset of yours to test?

Try a high gain patch and turn off noise gate. Tap the AFX with your finger. I hear the boink/note including delay applied to it. Don't need to have a guitar connected, or use an amp (analog or usb or whatever doesn't matter).

8)

Yeah, have to retract my previous answer. Turned up a hi-gain preset REALLY loud, with delay, no gate and yes, tapping the top is amplified.
Pretty normal though, I would say.

But using this preset you don't have to turn up loud at all to clearly hear the delays, right?

Yeah, I uderstand why serious gain would cause mechanical pickup, but I was surprised it is to the point that the AFX was able to feedback all by itself :ugeek

Attachments

• Blablabla.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 3
in the axe there's plenty of gain inside the amps and drives sims, much more than "real" ones: i compared the axe with an old jcm800 and there's no way i could achieve the same level of gain with the real amp; so much gain can easily take you into self-oscillating, autofeedback territory: take a real tube amp, add 2 or 3 gain stages before the input and you have instant feedback mayhem..
of course when a i play with the rest of the band we have 3/4 mics (2 or 3 voices and 1 for the drums) and guitar can easily bleed through and cause squealing and /or low freq feedback.

yup, there is much more gain available in the axe-you're totally right - guitar player tend turn up as much gain as we can, till the point that it gets objectionable, and turn down just a tad. Been all over and seen this every single time.

Another way to reduce the squealing is to use the low and hi cut, and chop off everything below 100hz and above 5-8Khz.
also, reduce some gain if possible (but we all know that is blasphemy to a guitar player! :lol )

I don't really see much 'tapping on the case' happening during a gig.....unless your drummer needs a snare replacement and decides your axe looks like a prime candidate :lol

Thanks 8)

I checked some more; it doesn't happen when using the rear input. There's some slight microphonics then too, but much less and it won't self-feedback.

Back
Top Bottom